Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

SMTH - hyper-competitive or cheating?

Started by CRLF [2095076] on in General Discussion.

1,013 replies · 29.7k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 1,014 / 1,014 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

pussy [2797641]
I don’t think that personally, and I’ve played games where multis are allowed (this causes uneven playing fields) and there’s a reason I don’t play them anymore

I dislike cheating, so I don’t (personally) have a preference from region / race / playerskill etc etc when it comes to that - I think it’s ALL bad regardless
CRLF [2095076]
I haven't messaged you or chatted you in years, but I'm not cheating.

I suspect there are tens of thousands of players who haven't messaged you, so that's hardly a way to determine who's cheating.

By the same token, quite a few people who WERE cheating have messaged me, presumably to try to figure out what can be found from the data, to better protect themselves. A couple times I was pretty sure they were cheating, and I might have misled them about that :)

There are better measures to determine if someone is cheating (which I am not going to mention here) plus all of the Staff-only methods (which of course I know nothing about).

Bottom line, it will be a staff determination. If you notice any player doing things like buying from a bazaar much more quickly than is humanly possible, then by all means report that. They might be running a script.
dunmugmeh [538353]
Who is the big big boss of SMTH is it ig_chen [2512030] ?

Im seriously thinking of sending him a nagging/advice mail on how to sort himself out before bogie removes everything....

It would be better if he got rid of the multis himself. If Bogie does it more will be disposed of ....

You know nagging him about stuff like not making multis to work in his private security firms and other nagging etc lots of other nagging.

Mentions: ig_chen [2512030]

CRLF [2095076]
Right. Because I haven't already spoken to him and others on that matter, and certainly no one else has either. and certainly bogie hasn't said anything either. Nor has their leadership council had numerous discussions on the subject.

If you sincerely intend to help, then why not join one of their factions as a guest for a couple weeks first? And see if you can get a QQ sponsor and participate in their chats. You would then be in a position to offer advice based on your insights.

Otherwise, what could you possibly say that hasn't already been said here?
Ana [2233184]
SMTH has a discord server , and plenty of SMTH members as ambassadors. Some of them are really good at English. https://discord.gg/HHgKzVVrGf
So you don't need a QQ sponsor, although it helps, it's pretty bad UI experience that you should start with their discord first. (Also Dung says he doesn't use discord at all, he only intends to communicate directly via ingame chats and mails.) But I still wanted to add that qq isn't required to communicate properly with smth, they have a discord server now.
I saw people in smth Qq chat ask what's the smth server link so they can go meet foreigners.


Just don't expect constant activity because they're likely asleep when you're awake due to 12hr time zone differences
SporkMonkey [2065017]
As much as you “mom” many in the game, don’t get all high and mighty about dunmugmeh wanting to give some fatherly advice.
Pops [1025410]
hi thank you for answering questions, as you rightly acknowledge SMTH has a long history of cheating + multis + scripting.

My question is why is there such a huge disconnect? Let me explain this point, theres a level of players who are competitive and others who are casual. The casual ones do not have any utilities, or moderation tools (for example We Are Rising had a lot of multis, but satan will likely just accept anybody and doesn't care what happens. This is common in more casual factions because they do not actively recruit and instead just take whatever they can get.)

SMTH on the other hand, as has been shown MANY times, has significant resources in terms of scripts, bots, tracking utilities, sheets. The fact that you have all this information should make spotting multis and people cheating obvious. Those people who never say a word except manage to do 3.2+ xanax per day average or the ones who are always online doing things but never saying anything. All your fellow SMTH people should recognise this behaviour.

What i'm pointing out is that theres a big disconnect between what SMTH says and what SMTH does. Why is SMTH so willing to entertain cheaters that it can clearly in my mind identify?

SMTH keeps automated sheets checking in on player performance, activity etc it should be acutely obvious who those people are. (This is the same in almost all factions btw, I can point out a few in ours who I suspect could be bots too purely because they never speak to anybody, but they also are not very active, logging in like once a day for a few minutes)

Additionally I would like to ask about historic connections. As you mentioned SMTH does have an extremely long history of cheating. People like [background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]GoldenFeel [1523811] and [/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]DrHudsonHornet [2604841] are just a couple that spring to mind. but you can see their spouse, [/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]Guy [1513069] who was another, alongside [/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]Fly [2507558] and [/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]Good [2545616] (Good avoided being fedded, but ran the same exact fully automated scripts and historic reports show this quite clearly, alongside the historic flight reports where SMTH surprise surprise topped the lists and LSD consumed which again SMTH topped the list through their suite of fully automated scripts).

[/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]What im pointing out, and has been seen numerous times even in bug threads where SMTH seems to have people who are extremely proficient at coding, well versed in computing and are willing to put this knowledge to use in order to cheat for the benefit of SMTH.
[/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]
Do you agree with me, that SMTH who has facilitated and kindled recruiting these players who commits these actions bears some responsibility? Whether its the construction of the policies put in place or the recruiters themselves not vetting stringently enough - the end outcome is the same. Its been pointed out numerous times that the playstyles of every other faction who is not SMTH are different. To give you an example I at one point had to argue with someone and try convince them not to join a zoo because they wanted to max out hunting. This person wasn't a multi, just someone who isn't playing the game solely as a meta grind for wealth. This is common across all of torn, yet doesn't seem to exist in SMTH.
[/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]
If you do agree, then do you not think as leadership you should look to address this?
[/background][background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]
[/background]

Mentions: DrHudsonHornet [2604841] · Fly5 [2507558] · GoldenFeel [1523811] · Good [2545616] · Guy [1513069] · Google account JS script blocks page rendering

FlyAgaric [2605415]
Regardless on whether a particular fac has had any multi or bad peeps in fac,

threatening to fed peeps by association?

I'm not on any side here.

But

Isn't that just plain wrong?
IM-DONE [2878207]
if it has been proven that there are multies in that faction / company then they should be dealt with accordingly

but if they are innocent as they claim then they have nothing to worry about.
M4LUS [2374410]
SMTH has been actively cheating since they're first days as a faction, IMO the proof that most of torn has pointed already where they have been caught RMT multi accts and auto scripting is surely enough to permanently fed players and as a whole delete all SMTH factions and players who play any role in any cheating whatsoever there's plenty in torn who are fedded for a lot less look at unrelenting for instance yes there was multi,s snd some RMT but nothing in comparison to what SMTH has been caught doing
Herodotus [1670169]
Deleting the factions, not fedding the members. Think Unrelenting.

I might also remind certain HoF'ers to be....Magnomonious...regarding key members who cheat, and the implications towards the faction itself. With no tHanks to previous drama, more than one of them have found themselves in an almost midKnight level of darkness.