Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Prepping

Started by Matt_ [512768] on in Hobbies & Interests.

27 replies · 232 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
10 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Artiq [475603] ×6 juggalo_mfcl420 [1358095] ×5 Cyrax [249578] ×4 Daedelus [592914] ×3 GirlFriday [570368] ×2 CatHead [1581564] ×1

Artiq [475603]

I would avoid calling myself a prepper because most of those people are batshit insane and pretty impractical. That being said, I do have a few supplies and some food and water just in case there is some sort of catastrophic event like severe weather. I'm not prepared for a societal collapse or zombie apocalypse. Just practical stuff.
CravenTHC [1569996]

There is nothing wrong with being prepared. Having a full hydroponic garden, with algae eating fish, solar power, and 10 years worth of essentials is way overboard. I'm considering buying a handgun, and that's about as far as I'm willing to take the idea of "prepping" for an apocalyptic occurrence.
hellos [987793]

I do like to think what id do when the zombies come though. cant have guns over here so would have to get the crossbow out :)
Cyrax [249578]

I keep several emergency kits in case of a volcanic eruption or tsunami, earthquake or something like that. I have stored some water and food. We live on a large farm with 3 massive water tanks fed from the guttering of the house, but obviously in a volcanic eruption it will have to be cut off because of ash. We also have rifles and shotguns for the farm with lots of ammunition, not sure if I will really need that, unless people go absolutely insane. We have several diesel fuel storage tanks and 3 generators. There is also a concrete underground shelter made from an old herringbone milking shed pit, it was dug out and fitted with storage and sleepouts. Power and water is available there too.

The emergency kit/s contain the usual survival equipment with some extras my family has added, also most importantly a large medical kit.

The land/bush surrounding the farm has lots of deer, goats, pigs, turkey, possums and even wild horses (which scare the crap out of me) So we are quite fortunate, it is also very remote and rough terrain not easily accessible. I think it's good to have measures in place. Especially because we live pretty much on the Pacific ring of fire. I'm not one of those zombie nut jobs, just a sensible person preparing for extreme natural disasters.
Artiq [475603]
Cyrax [249578]I keep several emergency kits in case of a volcanic eruption or tsunami, earthquake or something like that. I have stored some water and food. We live on a large farm with 3 massive water tanks fed from the guttering of the house, but obviously in a volcanic eruption it will have to be cut off because of ash. We also have rifles and shotguns for the farm with lots of ammunition, not sure if I will really need that, unless people go absolutely insane. We have several diesel fuel storage tanks and 3 generators. There is also a concrete underground shelter made from an old herringbone milking shed pit, it was dug out and fitted with storage and sleepouts. Power and water is available there too.

The emergency kit/s contain the usual survival equipment with some extras my family has added, also most importantly a large medical kit.

The land/bush surrounding the farm has lots of deer, goats, pigs, turkey, possums and even wild horses (which scare the crap out of me) So we are quite fortunate, it is also very remote and rough terrain not easily accessible. I think it's good to have measures in place. Especially because we live pretty much on the Pacific ring of fire. I'm not one of those zombie nut jobs, just a sensible person preparing for extreme natural disasters.

What are wild horses like? I've never really heard of anyone running into wild horses very often. I've often wondered what their temperament is like compared to domesticated horses. This is very interesting.

Mentions: Cyrax [249578]

CatHead [1581564]
Artiq [475603]
Cyrax [249578]I keep several emergency kits in case of a volcanic eruption or tsunami, earthquake or something like that. I have stored some water and food. We live on a large farm with 3 massive water tanks fed from the guttering of the house, but obviously in a volcanic eruption it will have to be cut off because of ash. We also have rifles and shotguns for the farm with lots of ammunition, not sure if I will really need that, unless people go absolutely insane. We have several diesel fuel storage tanks and 3 generators. There is also a concrete underground shelter made from an old herringbone milking shed pit, it was dug out and fitted with storage and sleepouts. Power and water is available there too.

The emergency kit/s contain the usual survival equipment with some extras my family has added, also most importantly a large medical kit.

The land/bush surrounding the farm has lots of deer, goats, pigs, turkey, possums and even wild horses (which scare the crap out of me) So we are quite fortunate, it is also very remote and rough terrain not easily accessible. I think it's good to have measures in place. Especially because we live pretty much on the Pacific ring of fire. I'm not one of those zombie nut jobs, just a sensible person preparing for extreme natural disasters.

What are wild horses like? I've never really heard of anyone running into wild horses very often. I've often wondered what their temperament is like compared to domesticated horses. This is very interesting.

There are wild horses in the Brecon Beacons (in the UK). I've seen them a few times. They're really timid and avoid people in the same way as deer. While a tame horse would come up to you behind a fence and let you pat their face nose. A wild one wouldn't let you near it.

Mentions: Artiq [475603] · Cyrax [249578]

Cyrax [249578]
CatHead [1581564]
Artiq [475603]
Cyrax [249578]I keep several emergency kits in case of a volcanic eruption or tsunami, earthquake or something like that. I have stored some water and food. We live on a large farm with 3 massive water tanks fed from the guttering of the house, but obviously in a volcanic eruption it will have to be cut off because of ash. We also have rifles and shotguns for the farm with lots of ammunition, not sure if I will really need that, unless people go absolutely insane. We have several diesel fuel storage tanks and 3 generators. There is also a concrete underground shelter made from an old herringbone milking shed pit, it was dug out and fitted with storage and sleepouts. Power and water is available there too.

The emergency kit/s contain the usual survival equipment with some extras my family has added, also most importantly a large medical kit.

The land/bush surrounding the farm has lots of deer, goats, pigs, turkey, possums and even wild horses (which scare the crap out of me) So we are quite fortunate, it is also very remote and rough terrain not easily accessible. I think it's good to have measures in place. Especially because we live pretty much on the Pacific ring of fire. I'm not one of those zombie nut jobs, just a sensible person preparing for extreme natural disasters.

What are wild horses like? I've never really heard of anyone running into wild horses very often. I've often wondered what their temperament is like compared to domesticated horses. This is very interesting.

There are wild horses in the Brecon Beacons (in the UK). I've seen them a few times. They're really timid and avoid people in the same way as deer. While a tame horse would come up to you behind a fence and let you pat their face nose. A wild one wouldn't let you near it.


Pretty much what CatHead said ^ They scare me because I'll be quietly walking through the bush supposedly undetected and they'll suddenly start crashing through the toetoe and scrub and it makes a hell of a noise, worse than a pheasant. Sometimes it sounds like they are coming right at you.

Mentions: Artiq [475603] · CatHead [1581564] · Cyrax [249578]

CravenTHC [1569996]
Cyrax [249578]Pretty much what CatHead said ^ They scare me because I'll be quietly walking through the bush supposedly undetected and they'll suddenly start crashing through the toetoe and scrub and it makes a hell of a noise, worse than a pheasant. Sometimes it sounds like they are coming right at you.
[image: www.quickmeme.com]

Mentions: Cyrax [249578]

Artiq [475603]

I like to do a little bit of exploring and a tiny bit of hunting myself. I figured they'd act like most ungulates but maybe a bit more aggressive, less than a moose though. Since were talking about prepping, what do think about them as far as hunting goes? They'd make good big game meat I suppose. Deer are probably a better option in your area though.

(I hope no one gets there panties in a bunch. I'd never hunt a horse. This is all hypothetical)
EscapedGoblin [1849481]

I live in the UK and have never really felt the need to prepare for any natural disasters. I did see some "mountain house" stuff on the internet though. You know, the food that keeps for what, 10 years or so. I thought I might get a few boxes of that one day to store away safely, just to help out if there was a bad economic crisis. Although as its the UK, the government would probably sort something out.
Cyrax [249578]

Nah, I don't hunt horses, If I find a dead one it goes straight for dog meat. I try not to get anywhere near them if possible. I'd rather venison or pork. I don't think I've ever shot a horse.

Our old neighbours used to raise them and slaughter them purely for dog tucker. There are horse skeletons all over their place. I'm pretty sure the wild ones I see originated from there. They used to raise Emu as well and a few escaped, I forgot to mention earlier, they used to freak me the F**K out as well.

BTW CravenTHC... that image is crack up, interesting assortment of firearms there. Looks like a militia unit.
drdark [189033]

I bought a bunch of seeds for growing sprouts to eat, and some for growing in the garden. mice have gotten to them through the bags, so store them in containers. Try to keep jugs of water around, whenever we finish a bottle of vinegar for cleaning, I fill it up with water and label it with a date.
GypsyTears [1288842]

Earthquake, flooding, fires, mad border crossings, airplanes falling from the sky and Yellowstone blowing are all unavoidable. We have no designated weapons.
When the "big one" hits, we'll make do until succumbing to the elements.
Ah, the elements...
juggalo_mfcl420 [1358095]

I just hope old faithful doesn't erupt cuz then no matter how much supplies u got..ill have my ganja and my family with munchies and my wife by my side...enjoying every last min of life. ..u
If something else happens het some that is quite. ...oh wait a cross bow and a compound bow..and I'll b good to go..its all light and and stealthy