Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

City watch for Linux

Started by sadmika [1691107] on in Suggestions.

6 replies · 81 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
2
Authority score
26 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
44 / 100
sadmika [1691107]

A simple suggestion?

Does the dev team or staff have the possibility to re-encode the java-based city watch for Linux, Ubuntu basically?
I dont think that would have to be hard for them, some people have been waiting it for years..

Guanying [842061]

I, personally, have not had any issue with CW recently.
As someone who uses Linux quite a lot, I also would like to see a proper multi-platform implementation.
Seeing as it's java based, all we really need is a .jar file, which is (usually) as simple as compiling the code as a .jar.
Mauk [1494436]

I've made a Chrome-plugin port of City Watch (so it's cross-platform). If anyone wants it, message me and I'll get you beta access.

It has the exact same problems as the official City Watch for now (due to RESPO), but it'll start working again as soon as the server is fixed (unless they change something, in which case I'll have to update it).
sadmika [1691107]

actually .jar is not the best idea in my opinion, but Ubuntu has independent .deb packaging for software, which can be installed by GDebi for example. Just add the ported city watch for Torn's download link as .deb form and Ubuntu users can make it work with a few clicks :)
sadmika [1691107]

and that would probably make minimal bug fix request hassles, as long as the Ubuntu user has Java JRE installed, currently for LTS it is Oracle Java too, which would be compatible with future Ubuntu releases too probably.