Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Item Finding - FAQ & Help!

Started by bcfcespley [181564] on in Tutorials & Guides.

136 replies · 11.4k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 137 / 137 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
137
Discussion span
→
Authority score
78 / 100
Historical score
64 / 100
Story score
59 / 100
Engagement score
84 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

zacnnt [1162531] ×7 silentdragon [1615297] ×5 bogie [148747] ×4 Perplex [1849044] ×3 Snappy [644425] ×2 LDP [1580562] ×2 Scootaloo [1590427] ×2 CalzaTheFox [1694544] ×2 4You [1859548] ×2 mad-lad [5642] ×1 McDallas [14757] ×1 tyro [177516] ×1

bcfcespley [181564]

Here is a guide to item finding in the new City Map, information you will find here: Item Icons, FAQ's, Help & Advise. Any additional information you can supply please post or mail to me (Item icon images especially)

[image: s17.postimg.org]

TIP#1• It is suggested being 100% zoomed in as icons can be very small and hard to see.
Tip#2•You can find items on the coloured parts of the map.
TIP#3• You can find items on water. (Any pure black part of the map)
Tip#4•The more active you are, the higher your chances of finding an item.
TIP#5• Highlighting the map (CTRL+A) can help make items stand out more.
Tip#6•Refreshing the map too much will result you in getting a temporary ban from the game.


[image: s29.postimg.org]
Item Icon

Item Name

[image: i175.photobucket.com]Bag Of Candy Kisses

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Lion Plushie
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Knuckle Duster

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Pack of Cuban Cigars
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Axe

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Knife
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Panda Plushie

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Big Box of Chocolates
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Benellim M4 Super

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

DVD Player
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Lawyer Business card

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Plain Silver Ring
[image: i175.photobucket.com]First Aid Kit

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Ruger 22/45

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Benelli M4 Super
[image: i175.photobucket.com]

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Shurikens
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Screwdriver

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Pack of Bon Bons
[image: i175.photobucket.com]1

[image: i175.photobucket.com]

Necklace
[image: i175.photobucket.com]Nessie Plushie

1

1

[image: s22.postimg.org]
Q: Can you find items in water? (Black areas)
[image: s29.postimg.org]A:Yes you can. We had a report that someone had found an item on water.
Q: Can you find items in special colour'd areas?
[image: s10.postimg.org]A:Yes we have had a tonne of reports that you can find items in any colour area that is clickable.
Q: Can you find more than 1 item per hour?
[image: s27.postimg.org]A:100% yes. There have been reports of 4 or 5 items in one hour, I have personally found 2 items in less than 1 minute!
Q: What happens if I forget to collect an item?
[image: s9.postimg.org]A:The item itself does stay there, it has been tested. We are not 100% sure on how long it will stay there for. But you can click of the map come back 1 minute later and it will still be there.
Q: Is there a correlation between item finds and locations?
[image: s7.postimg.org]A:I believe there can be, I have found 2 lawyer business cards right on the border of the jail so far. I'm not saying all stat enhancers will be by the gym, or museum items will be by the pyramid buildings. But there is some sort of correlation.
Q: How can I increase my chances offindingan item?
[image: s17.postimg.org]A: Using merits on awareness, your actual game activity, any drug that increases happiness.
Q: Can you find items 100% zoomed out?
[image: s11.postimg.org]A: I have had no reports of anyone doing this.
FACT
[image: s4.postimg.org]Refreshing the city will earn you a temporary ban, it will not help increase your chances of finding an item.
FACT
[image: s2.postimg.org]City find rates are exactly the same as before, although finding items may seem easier as you are physically doing the work. Using merits will help you find a tonne of items for sure!
HELP
[image: s30.postimg.org]Highlighting the map (CTRL+A) can help make items stand out more with a box around them.
Most found items in the City
[image: s10.postimg.org]
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

An actual city finds guide that is helpful, have a R+ for that

Might be worth adding too that each merit upgrade on awareness adds roughly +7% to your item spawn rates, city find rates aren'tquite the same some might argue as higher awareness now DOES improve what quality of items you find too.

The pie chart might be a bit dated though, I'm yet to see any cash finds either.
LDP [1580562]
bogie [148747]An actual city finds guide that is helpful, have a R+ for that

Might be worth adding too that each merit upgrade on awareness adds roughly +70% to your item spawn rates and that higher awareness now DOES improve what quality of items you find too.

The pie chart might be a bit dated though, I'm yet to see any cash finds either.

Quick correction :)


R+ for useful guide :P

Mentions: bogie [148747]

bogie [148747] Admin Staff
LDP [1580562]
bogie [148747]An actual city finds guide that is helpful, have a R+ for that

Might be worth adding too that each merit upgrade on awareness adds roughly +70% to your item spawn rates and that higher awareness now DOES improve what quality of items you find too.

The pie chart might be a bit dated though, I'm yet to see any cash finds either.

Quick correction :)


R+ for useful guide :P

My understanding is that max merits are 70% (7% per, 70% for 10/10)

Mentions: bogie [148747] · LDP [1580562]

LDP [1580562]
bogie [148747]
LDP [1580562]
bogie [148747]An actual city finds guide that is helpful, have a R+ for that

Might be worth adding too that each merit upgrade on awareness adds roughly +70% to your item spawn rates and that higher awareness now DOES improve what quality of items you find too.

The pie chart might be a bit dated though, I'm yet to see any cash finds either.

Quick correction :)


R+ for useful guide :P

Max merits are 70%

In that case, yes - you are correct ;)

Mentions: bogie [148747] · LDP [1580562]

ebcdic [1757971]

I find that blocking "cdn.dev-www.torn.com/images/citymap/release/*png" with Adblock Plus makes items easier to find (the background is, mostly, a solid color: no buildings, roads, lakes, cars, ... to hide the items)
Xiphias [187717]

Just want to add to the "Q: What happens if I forget to collect an item? "
I have had a knife on the map for 2 days now. It is still there.
mad-lad [5642]

Still not sure about affecting quality of items. i've had 8/10 awareness for ...however long merits have been a thing. I think out of the 20 items I found in those years the best was a morphine.
Herodotus [1670169]

I've actually found two items at the same time, both on the display at once. I also zoomed out and discovered that I could still see them--- but most likely only because I knew exactly where they were.

Great use of the new formatting options!
PsYcHoSuZyQ [1726510]
Was at 7/10 I found very low money items. Went to 10/10 first find after doing so was a senate board senete? Can't spell.

Lol Dvente [5642]


Still not sure about affecting quality of items. i've had 8/10 awareness for ...however long merits have been a thing. I think out of the 20 items I found in those years the best was a morphine.


Kim [582646]
PsYcHoSuZyQ [1726510]
Was at 7/10 I found very low money items. Went to 10/10 first find after doing so was a senate board senete? Can't spell.

Lol Dvente [5642]


Still not sure about affecting quality of items. i've had 8/10 awareness for ...however long merits have been a thing. I think out of the 20 items I found in those years the best was a morphine.

Senet Board,it worth 129 million.

Mentions: PsYcHoSuZyQ [1726510]

Mo-Sigma [1675373]

I found a Feathery Hotel Coupon in the city and then found cigars all within 5 minutes of each other. And my awareness has no merits added to it.
Perplex [1849044]

Awesome guide. R+

I have some questions.

We know that items stay even when we come back after some time.

So, is it that after a certain number of items, 4 or 5 maybe, new items spawned will replace old ones or is it that the old ones will stay forever and new ones wont come.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Dvente [5642]Still not sure about affecting quality of items. i've had 8/10 awareness for ...however long merits have been a thing. I think out of the 20 items I found in those years the best was a morphine.

This isn't something based on speculation, Ched has confirmed in other posts that awareness levels affects item quality.

Your finds 'over the years' are absolutely irrelevant, in case you haven't noticed we're on about an entirely new city find mechanic here...

Mentions: mad-lad [5642]

XOR [743049]

If you drop into the source code within 3 seconds, you will find a div element with a ID of "_tui".
This div contains base64 encoded data, of an array, of objects.
Each object is a city find.

The co-ords of the city find are in that data, as well as the name itself.

Caveat: There is code that will REMOVE that DIV element after 3 seconds.
So be quick!

This is visible in all zoom levels - but only for 3 seconds.
You can then use the "Share Link" to find your current co-ords, or change the link and go directly to your item.
The Share Link has the format: lon % lat % zoom
The % symbol splits each part.