I have got an issue that is solely in Chrome (on Firefox the issue is not found). Chrome automatically saves Torn password. It's been around a week since it started acting weird: the password (correct number of stars) appears only for a brief moment (less than a second), and then the password becomes replaced with 5 stars: *****. In order to log in I have to hit "Login" immediately after the page loads (before the password gets replaced with *****).
This happens on newest Chrome. All cookies have been removed. All cache has been cleared. All DNS's has been flushed. Everything has been deleted/ removed/ cleared. Regardless, the problem still persists. And only with torn.com (otherwise I would assume it's Chrome's problem).
I've noticed it shows "*****" or something as the default entry in password until you begin typing in it - which makes it seem like your password is already there when it's not. I think it needs to actually say "password" and when you type in your password the characters translate to "*".
Regarding your issue,(where the saved password appears then disappears) do you have any extensions on google chrome? Seems like something is messing with it.
I've noticed Chrome acting funny about Torn's passwords as well now for the last week or so. I don't let my browsers remember any passwords, so I haven't had this issue, but have you tried opening Chrome Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Under "Passwords and Forms" selecting "Manage Passwords" and seeing what Chrome has stored for Torn? My guess is it has somehow saved the astricks as your password (it has offered to do this for me a few times), so it is autofilling that field as soon as the page finishes loading.
^ I just tested this out as I'm using Chrome and had also had the issue of the password changing to the astrix and can confirm that in my browser settings the password is still correct as to what I saved it however I continue to have the issue of the ***** appearing.
I use chrome, when i hit torns homepage, it will quickly switch to default(username, password) for a split second before, the autofill kicks in, and my details are entered. It's a safe guess thats its not actually a torn issue, but something you're running.
I am also experiencing this same issue. But only on my home desktop.
My work's machines (desktop and laptop) do not have this issue (yet), even though the laptop shares the same google user profile when I access chrome. ie. I open chrome and select my home desktops user profile so that all of my desktop settings like bookmarks and home screen are then on the laptop.
As I select "Torn" from my bookmarks, the page loads with my saved password, and then as soon as the page has finished loading, my saved password gets replaced with *****, and if I don't hit the "Login" button quick enough, I have George telling me that my password is incorrect.
I don't know if it is related, but I have noticed that the font is now slightly different from what it used to be before I started to experience this issue.