Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

scottish independance

Started by paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper on in Graveyard.

319 replies · 1.46k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 320 / 320 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
320
Discussion span
→
Authority score
47 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
83 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

LimeTree [1321200] ×68 OllieBumble [21801] ×41 Nukem [1063346] ×34 Hades [1728299] ×30 1411404 [1411404] ×26 Bullzeye [922212] ×18 Stain92 [1040302] ×14 Sweeney_Todd [27468] ×11 xMrPink [221113] ×11 Mat-Senpai [952164] ×8 CatHead [1581564] ×8 ghosty [1348728] ×7

CatHead [1581564]

I think they'd be stupid to do it.

They'll just turn themselves into another Ireland. Sure, if we look at the next few years England and Wales would be negatively affected but we've got London. London is pretty much the only economic powerhouse/ globally competitive city the UK has. Scotland has a bit of oil but not enough to support its weight in the long term. The UK would still be able to bounce back and Scotland would go down like a lead dildo.

If I were the English government, I'd threaten sanctions now (much like a petty school kid). If you want independence, that's fine, but we won't trade with you or offer you any support in the future. Only select people can cross into our country. You'll have full independence from the UK and be fully reliant on the EU. That would make Scotland sink even faster.

I hope they vote no but I'd laugh if they voted yes. I wonder how long after it they'd be asking for their first bailout from The EU.
1411404 [1411404]

I thoroughly support the "Yes" campaign. Britain is decadent. Scotland should avoid the same fate by going alone. I have no doubt that Scotland will prosper in the future. They will have billions of pounds spare to spend on the public sector instead of nuclear weapons.
Two_D [1832908]

If Scotland was to leave the only thing to damage uk is the loss of some great sportsmen and women in Olympics

you can take some of our debt with you as well
paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

i dont agree with cathead
sure londons an economic powerhouse but most of the cash stays in london
compared to what gets sent out to the rest of the uk.if scotland vote yes it oculd be
the kick in the ass the rest of the uk need to start asking questions of the government
instead of rolling over
LimeTree [1321200]

Aye contrary to what cathead and the british media are saying, we will be damn well off financially. 14th richest country in the world according to gdp per person (this is higher than the uk currently stands). Essentially it will be England that suffers from our exit, hence why they're trying so hard to scare us into staying. Use your heads people, why would they want us to stay if we're such a burden.

Anyway, I don't like to argue the economics of the matter cause that's all trivial really, we could become dirt poor and it'd still be in our interests to go independence, since essentially the whole thing is about actually electing our own government who will look after our own interests and be accountable to us, as opposed to electing a tiny percent of westminster MPs and never having an effect on the outcomes of elections. (I.E. No more Tory governments) As well as getting rid of the bastarding nukes that they have to keep in scotland for the safety of english citizens, no more wasting money bombing third world countries who dare to defy us, stopping the scottish nhs from being privatised, actually getting 100% of our tax money to spend rather than subsidising england etc etc.

To vote no is literally the dumbest thing anyone could possibly do, in fact studies show voters are more likely to choose yes when presented with the facts and not a fear campaign. So aye, vote yes if you can. And if you can't vote, please stfu.
Sweeney_Todd [27468]

It will not be a kick in the arse. Banks will leave, the navy will go and companies will pull out. You will not have the pound, you will beg for the euro, and who wants that. Do not let things that happenend 700 years ago effect the mind of today. Scotland is with us, and this is the most peaceful independance known to history...

Leaving the union will not help Scotland, especially as the independance leader says the English Queen will be their Queen, so commonwealth then...

If you want independance, don't go half arsed about it, do or do not...

But what do I know, I'm an english bastad... [:sick:]
Hades [1728299]

I'm Irish and I have to agree with Sweeney here. I don't think Scotland has the means to sustain itself. Ireland got its freedom but tbh there where some downsides to it also. I'm all for freedom and i'm glad we got it but Ireland is small and has to work twice as hard just to keep up with the other countries.
If we never left then things like the recession would not have hit us so bad.

That being said. Having freedom and our own country is great. There are pros and cons in everything. People just need to weigh them out and see if one option has more to give than the other. Its no a decision to be taken lightly as there will be no return.

But what do I know? I'm a leprechaun. lol
paddybhoy1 [1476472] Helper

load of crap sweeney the banks are not pulling out
just usual bbc scaremongering there
look up facts on it dont take mainstream medias word on anything when have
they not had an agenda the navy can go and take the s**tty bombs they have
30 mins drive away from my house with them 2
Stain92 [1040302]
paddybhoy1 [1476472]load of crap sweeney the banks are not pulling out
just usual bbc scaremongering there
look up facts on it dont take mainstream medias word on anything when have
they not had an agenda the navy can go and take the s**tty bombs they have
30 mins drive away from my house with them 2

http://www.rbs.com/news/2014/09/statement-in-response-to-press-speculation-on-re-domicile.html Straight from the horses mouth. I don't really care if Scotland go independent, it's the Scottish people's decision.

Mentions: paddybhoy1 [1476472]

Sweeney_Todd [27468]

Wish it was crap. You say the navy pulling out will just be bombs going, tell that to the people of Faslane. Subs are there that the people of Liverpool and Newcastle will love to have. Scottish miletery towns will become ghost towns. Good luck to you though, I do love Scotland...

Like I said before, do not let history make your future... [:sick:]
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I'm interested because I really can't imagine UK on the map without Scotland, would be very strange suddenly changing after 300 years. The flag would even have to be modified. I've always said I live in the UK rather than England, and always imagine the Union Jack as my home flag, rather than the flag of England. If the UK folds, it will be quite surreal for me.

From what I've read... The money the UK makes from oil fields in the North stays in Scotland. I don't think England is just soaking up Scottish taxes and then spending them elsewhere, from what I've seen Westminster gives back whatever Scotland puts in.

I can't imagine a scenario where Scotland suddenly flourishes after leaving the UK. From my honest point of view, it only seems to be very nationalistic politicians saying whatever they possibly can to win the vote - thinking they're too good and too important to be part of the UK.

But what do I know, I'm just a dumb Englishman! I guess we'll see what happens, as independence is looking likely. Considering Scotland makes up only 8% of the population of the UK, I can't imagine it'll effect everyone else much - but the whole idea of a 'United Kingdom' will be quashed.
Beerstein [1322136]

Military presence always drives the economy around it. Beyond that any trade etc. would likely be stable as usual and taxes would just go towards the same things they did anyways essentially but on a more local than generalized level, depending on the economy this could be good or bad for the Scots, but likely will have 0 impact on everyone else.

As far as the military it's a largely 2 way street isn't it? You may have what amounts to protection but at the same time if you're asking them to go your economy will suffer massively, but it's okay cause you're not supporting them right? Military presence is really important for any economy. So saying "Take your bombs and go" is ignorant as hell. Now IDK about the UK but any time a US military base shuts down thriving cities around them are devastated sometimes to the point of complete destruction on an economic level. I guess it's a matter of careful what you wish for. The fact that you live next to the base AND want them gone is absolutely mind boggling.
DevilSoldier [1731252]

I'd like to see Scotland leave, England is the first and the last thing most people think of when people say "Britain", and I hate seeing that still in the 21st century, England still rules the roost over countries with their own parliament. Financially Scotland will be fine, they own 2 thirds of Europe's oil reserves, their Whiskey trade will ensure big incomes, among other things, they could improve life in bad areas of Scotland, many people think this has been a half arsed attempt from Alex Salmond by trying to be a big boy and lead a country, but he's got the right idea, as for sport, well we're going to be s**t at tennis again, half good at cycling, and at least we get to laugh even more at Scotland's national team for being crap.

But if I had a vote, I'd vote yes a million percent, then I'd love to see Wales and NI do the same, then the imbecile in charge of England at that time, can have no excuse about getting his incompetent party to actually focus on making England liveable again.
LimeTree [1321200]
Sweeney_Todd [27468]It will not be a kick in the arse. Banks will leave, the navy will go and companies will pull out. You will not have the pound, you will beg for the euro, and who wants that. Do not let things that happenend 700 years ago effect the mind of today. Scotland is with us, and this is the most peaceful independance known to history...

Leaving the union will not help Scotland, especially as the independance leader says the English Queen will be their Queen, so commonwealth then...

If you want independance, don't go half arsed about it, do or do not...

But what do I know, I'm an english bastad... [:sick:]

Lol, banks won't leave and we will be using the pound, there's no doubt about that at all. Oh, and we can choose later to leave the commonwealth or not. This referendum is about independence from the UK, nothing more nothing less. And it's nothing to do with 700 years ago, it's all about now, and being an uninfluential part of the uk is s**t. We can't affect westminster with our votes so end up with c**ts like David Cameron being in power despite only one Tory MP being in power. We have to fight and die to crush small countries who wanna control their own resources, we pay more than our share of taxes, we have to put up with s**t like the bedroom tax. 1million scots are below the poverty line and look at the rise of food banks in our country. How can a country with europes largest oil supply be in such a position? Seriously, all you english unionists need to stop paying attention to the propaganda campaign if you're gonna post

Mentions: Sweeney_Todd [27468]

883567 [883567]

I see, you f**kers think you can escape the c**tservatives with your little "independence" vote.
Well you can't. We're in this together.
CatHead [1581564]

LimeTree, if we're lost in a web of propaganda, where are you getting your facts from? Every source apart from nationalistic ones say that Scotland runs at a huge deficit. Saying 'we have two thirds of European oil' doesn't mean much in and of itself. I own 100% of my family's oil- it's in my car.

From the SNP:


2013-14
£54bn revenue of which £4bn oil & gas
£69bn expenditure

£15bn deficit

ã
2012-13
£53bn revenue of which £5bn oil & gas
£65bn expenditure

£12bn deficit

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0045/00457530.xls
If you think you're paying money to England or that you have enough oil to sustain yourselves, you're deluded. Scottish use of the pound should they become independent is debated, perhaps not by the Scottish nationalists but certainly by the English. There will be squabbles at the very least if we don't want a currency union. You don't even have a guarantee of joining the EU (after having left a member state).

Be careful when rejecting propaganda and replacing it with nationalistic pride.