Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Android Torn CityWatch App

Started by Pipng13579 [531195] on in Tutorials & Guides.

276 replies · 9.07k views · thread synced · 15 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 277 / 277 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
277
Discussion span
→
Authority score
81 / 100
Historical score
64 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
86 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Pipng13579 [531195] ×8 Chedburn [1] ×4 ReyDuvall [1526820] ×4 Stretch [1846075] ×3 WaterFreak [62794] ×1 Naako [482424] ×1 -R3x- [483525] ×1 ghostcell [711590] ×1 ArticFz [1583141] ×1 cyberdude [1613175] ×1 silentdragon [1615297] ×1 laughinghyena [1617991] ×1

Pipng13579 [531195]

Hi everyone!

Recently, Ched has given me the go-ahead to work on the android version of Torn CityWatch app. I will be publishing the app and any updates here! Please do subscribe to get the latest releases of the application and upvote this thread if you like the app! It would really go a long way in encouraging me to continue developing applications!


Android Torn CityWatch

Current Version: V1.7.3.3

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqbqrnmkqe24p9o/TornCityWatchV1.7.3.3.apk?dl=1
MD5 Hash: 5DDC158C272CD66D647B4516D33A0D6C

What it does:

Android Torn CityWatch provides you with the experience of the desktop Torn CityWatch application, but much greater flexibility and mobility.
The app tracks messages, events, energy, happiness, nerve, drug & booster cooldown, travel time and education, and gives you up-to-date notifications when your attention is needed.
You will be at the liberty to decide when and how frequently you are notified: Set your energy, happiness and nerve notification amount according to your current routine, or even turn off notifications you don't need!

tl;dr Stay up to date with your Torn life, with a quick glance at your phone!

Best of all, this will be a free application without advertisement!


How it works:
The beauty of this app is that there is NO 3rd party interaction!
The app stores your login information locally, and communicates with Torn via the CityWatch communication channel, directly from your phone.
This was done through the reworking of the desktop Torn CityWatch app which has been dismantled and rewritten to accommodate the android architecture & differences in experience between phones and desktops. (For example, on the desktop, users are shown a notification immediately when a change happens, but in the phone, notifications need to remain present until seen)
Unfortunately, the drawback is that only users with CityWatch activated (which is purchased using points) will be able to take advantage of this application.

Current Status: Released!!

Currently only looking for design-savvy or technically-inclined beta-testers. Beta-testers should be active, friendly and give constructive feedback. I'll be working with you closely to discuss about how we can improve the app, and if you have any ideas for future development.
Beta-testers get to see early releases of the app and have their suggestions heard first!
Please do mail me if you're interested to sign up, and I'll contact you shortly.

Currently looking for 1 more android communication experts to test the app and prove independently that this app does not have any 3rd party interaction, and that all login credentials are only communicated to Torn's CityWatch channel, and never in plaintext. This is for the skeptics out there. Communication Experts will be considered beta-testers as well, and also receive their perks!

As this is a fully free application, I would really appreciate all support in the form of donations to pipng13579 [531195]. Thank you!

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195]

Pipng13579 [531195]
Comments from users who have beta-tested the application: [Copy-pasted directly from their posts in this thread]

Androids Communications Expert silentdragon:
silentdragon [1615297]OK, so first, hat's off to Pipng for the excellent work. I had my own reservations about using a third party created app, those were quickly put to rest after a full decompile and day and a half look at the inner workings of the CityWatch android app. There were exactly three network based calls...all of them were to torn servers for time/citywatch api and citywatch auth. Still, I can be skeptical, so I passed it through an emulator first and ran with a debugger attached, NO external calls. Awesome! Now its time to actually run the app, it runs, I login ... Exactly as advertised, everything I need, nothing I don't.

Important Notes:
1)Version 1.7.3.3
MD5 Hash 5DDC158C272CD66D647B4516D33A0D6C

2)Only communicates with torn...specifically:
hxxp://www.torn.com/citywatch-auth.php
hxxp://www.torn.com/citywatch/time.php
hxxp://www.torn.com/citywatch/api.php

3)Login and password are stored in the application context(IF you so choose), using the android.content.SharedPreferences method
Since this is private data it makes sense to use this method rather than a sqlite db...
To explain further...would you rather your password be locked up tight or inked on your forehead.
Nice choice OP, this would have been a make or break point for me here.

4)I tend to use tasker quite a bit on my phone along with greenify, I haven't automated any actions with tasker but I did try to have it hibernate with greenify...well...that was just dumb of me...because of how the code HAS to be written(Torn doesn't push data, app can only poll to check), If you hibernate the app it suspends its ability to check(background refresh), this is not a flaw of the app but of how we currently utilize torn. If torn's api had the ability to push I could save an extra 1% battery life over 24hours(agressive checking at 30 seconds, I have mine currently set to check every 5 minutes as this suits me fine)


Excellent work!

Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11
OnePlus One
5.5 inch display
Beta-tester laughinghyena:
laughinghyena [1617991]Ok I've been testing this program for the past few days. You have to manually program in your specific needs..........ie energy level that you want to be notified for ( I put 145 so as to be on when I made it to full energy).then you can input your happiness the same way and your nerve. Then you can also, let it notify you about messages and events or turn them off . Now you also can set the times you want to have it check 30 seconds 1 minute 2.5 mminutes 5 minutes 15, 30 and an hour . Or you can simply pause it completly . Then its got booster , education , drug and travel notices , letting you know about them also . All in all it is a very good app all secured . I would like to now take time to thank Pipng13579 for the hard work put into this .

Mentions: laughinghyena [1617991] · silentdragon [1615297]

Pipng13579 [531195]
Comments from app users:

-R3x- [483525]Ok, so i have tested this app out, and all seems very smooth, very accurate and overall just a brilliant app. I would recommend it to all android users. There are a few teething issues, which have been addressed , and will be fixed in no time. Big credits to the creator of this, has to be said, this addition/update to torn, im more excited about, than all this RESPO crap xD

Definitely check this out guys, you wont be disappointed.

BIG thanks to Pipng13579, and anyone else who participated in the creation of this beauty!!
I will be an endless user, as im sure a lot of others will be too.

Thanks
-R3x-


Stretch [1846075]So far, going quite well, one thing I would suggest for future releases, allow us to choose the sounds vs using system default sounds =], even cooler would be the ability to incorporate the actual sounds from the desktop model.


Technomancer [1726078]Thank you for this app. I've been waiting for something like this and wondering if it was going to be done. City watch for pc is great but I'm not always at my pc. I love being able to check important vitals on demand especially when travelling. I'd be willing to throw a couple bucks to the dev because I appreciate the app and would like to see it get even better.


ghostcell [711590]App is great! Especially for someone like me who only uses torn on a mobile.


Mentions: -R3x- [483525] · ghostcell [711590] · shade4 [1726078] · Stretch [1846075]

ReyDuvall [1526820]

Chedburn said only use this app if you aren't worried about OP having your username and password.
I'm a little surprised OP didn't put that in the first post...

I don't understand why Ched would authorize a random student to put this app out there at the risk of the users, when several of the reputable/proven coders that play this game have wanted to put out apps like this and he wouldn't let them.


Pipng13579 [531195]I would really appreciate all support in the form of donations to pipng13579 [531195]. Thank you!

Was disappointed to see that so prominent in your post. It should be more about the program and less about trying to get money before you even make the program.

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195]

Pipng13579 [531195]
ReyDuvall [1526820]
Â

Pipng13579 [531195]

I would really appreciate all support in the form of donations to pipng13579 [531195]. Thank you!

Was disappointed to see that on there.

Hey RevDuvall, this is just a shout out for those who want to donate! Its definitely not a requirement and everyone will have free access to the app.
I'm quite sure you know that developing an app is not an easy task and when I get a small something it really encourages me to push on.
Also, I've donated to projects which I felt was very useful before and the provided link really helped make it easier to thank the developers that have made life easier.

So all in all, please don't judge me for adding the link! Just ignore it if you're not willing to donate. Thanks!

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195] · ReyDuvall [1526820]

ReyDuvall [1526820]
Pipng13579 [531195]Just ignore it if you're not willing

Right. And I suppose you should just ignore my post?

Nah, the point of the forums is for us to both post our opinions.

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195]

Pipng13579 [531195]

Hey Rey,

I really don't get why you're picking at this. If you really don't want to donate, I'm definitely not forcing you. I've given my reasons why I added that link: it helps the developer and it helps members who want to donate.

Could I ask you then, why is it that you're disappointed?
ReyDuvall [1526820]
Pipng13579 [531195]it helps members who want to donate

How? They didn't know how to click your profile?
I wanted to donate until your bold-underlined request for money.

It's fine. You're allowed to make your request for money one of the most "visible" parts of your post, and I'm allowed to be disappointed.

Carry on. People will probably send you cash even though you haven't even shown a picture of the product...

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195]

Pipng13579 [531195]
ReyDuvall [1526820]
Â

Pipng13579 [531195]

it helps members who want to donate

How? They didn't know how to click your profile?

I wanted to donate until your bold-underlined request for money.

It's fine. You're allowed to make your request for money one of the most "visible" parts of your post, and I'm allowed to be disappointed.

Carry on. My posts probably made people more likely to send you money, sadly. Suckers xD

Hey Rey, with regards to your edit:
First and foremost, what's the point of calling names? It really degrades the whole discussion.
And secondly, this whole thread is not about the donation! It's about this cool new app idea which I am working on. Let's not lose track of the mountain of words and zoom in so much on that last sentence (it's last for a reason! )

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195] · ReyDuvall [1526820]

ReyDuvall [1526820]

I made my point early, and don't have much else to say on the topic, so didn't intend to post further, but since you're asking me questions I'm certainly willing to respond to them.

Calling names... I see one single name, not directed at you. I see that despite your comment about leaving it, you don't actually want to. Which is fine by me, but you shouldn't pretend otherwise.


Pipng13579 [531195]last sentence (it's last for a reason! )

Any good presenter knows that the last sentence of a presentation is one of the most important, often THE most important.
Especially when you, oh I don't know, bold and underline.

Mentions: Pipng13579 [531195]

Pipng13579 [531195]

Ok Rey, I think this is really collapsing into a tit-for-tat. I added the comment because you edited your posts. Now let us both end it here, alright. (That includes post edits too, it seems very unfair that you're adjusting your posts after I've commented, making it seem that I'm unwilling to discuss certain points with you)