Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Processor question.

Started by Hades [1728299] on in Technology.

6 replies · 53 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
1
Authority score
6 / 100
Historical score
8 / 100
Story score
25 / 100
Engagement score
43 / 100
Hades [1728299]

Does a processor slow down over time? I have a quad core but I can see it slowly getting slower and slower. Maybe its the fact that I might need to format my HDD. I usually format my drive every 2 months due to the amount of shit I put my comp through.
Maybe its the HDD? Should I replace it? I am planning to upgrade soon anyway but I would like to keep this computer for my kids to mess around on.

Any help would be great. Its not really important. I just want to find out so I know in future is all. Should I take it out and clean it?
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

Considering the heat that it generates, it probably will slow down over time. Or it could be that the thermal paste is deteriorating and losing its functionality.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

if you're running W7+ it should run defragger every week minimum by itself, a suggest of using CCleaner to remove a lot of junk would also clear up a lot of space on your HDD - a suggest of moving into an SSD + HDD mix would also possibly help with your problem

as for your CPU - they all slow down over time, i believe intel have a lifespan of around 10-30 years and AMD have 10-20 years as for the number of cores they don't affect much, the only thing that would is if you've overclocked your CPU - 20-30% will eat about 5 years of your CPU processor vs 30-40% about 10 years - if you wish to keep your current CPU and haven't already as above suggested, use thermal paste, it dissipates heat - you could also go for alternative cooling methods like water cooling your CPU or adding a direct fan.. or any combination you feel best suits.

as for cleaning, well i'm hoping you keep all dust out of your tower as it is, a layer of dust will only add to the heat produced which will damage everything.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

I don't let Microsoft do anything with my pc except updates I look at first.

I use three free Auslogics software...duplicate file finder, registry repair and then disk defrag (in that order).

Then I run Malwarebytes, also free.

I also have Avast! giving me realtime protection while I'm online. That's free, too. I do have the premium version. I think it's $40 USD a year. I really have no clue why it's different from the free version. I'll keep paying. They gave me the best protection free for almost 10 years.
Jobby [1640111]

There are a number of things you could do, most of which have been covered already. I'm curious as to why the 're-format' every 2 months? Add another drive for your data...if you don't want to do that, just add a data partition on your current one. It will make defragmenting easier.....there will always be arguments as to weather partitioning is good or bad...I always go with good :)
Check your file system...NTFS is what it should be.
Before trying any re-application of thermal paste, check your CPU temp (I use Notebook Hardware Control). My lappy idles around 65 degrees (kinda hot...but there was a beer accident) and the desktop is just under 40 degrees.



Jobby [1640111]

Haha, I know...desktop is 6 years old...never been re-pasted, but I'd say 40 or under is an ok temp, especially with all the extra bits and pieces in it. Lappy, well, it had a pint of lager spilt into it...which means taking it apart is a task I certainly dont relish at all