an element of reality makes a good rpg if this is so how come the takings and income of companies are not effected by seasonal or other trends. Why does my night club get the same amount of customers tonight (new years eve) as it did last night? Why was it open on Christmas Day? Certain types of businesses would probably shutdown over the festive period and earn nothing but thats the nature of the choice of business you start. So my question should we add this bit of realism or not?
the reality issue
Started by torak [132626] on in General Discussion.
About this thread
Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 19
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 16
- Likes on archived posts
- 34
- Authority score
- 37 / 100
- Historical score
- 24 / 100
- Story score
- 54 / 100
- Engagement score
- 62 / 100
an element of reality makes a good rpg if this is so how come the takings and income of companies are not effected by seasonal or other trends. Why does my night club get the same amount of customers tonight (new years eve) as it did last night? Why was it open on Christmas Day? Certain types of businesses would probably shutdown over the festive period and earn nothing but thats the nature of the choice of business you start. So my question should we add this bit of realism or not?
What about people playing overseas though? Their companies would then be shut down on the 26th, if realism for Christmas Day was implemented.
We should be able to do more killings tonight also as all the fools are wandering around the streets pissed so wouldn't see you sneaking up on them with you RPG just like in real life
Go outside for a day. There is a whole world out there.
You're kidding, right?
I swear. Do ya know that sky thing you see in some YouTube videos? Its real. It has stars and all.
I was under the impression that different companies do have different seasonal modifiers. At least that was the word on last company update from what I recall.
Torn is love. Torn is life.
Torn time is the same no matter where in the world you play >.>
That's right, and midnight in Torn is 6pm where I live in the states. You folks have already rang in the new year, while I'm still living in 2014. I think that's precisely the point Gladion20 was trying to make. Not everyone experiences these affects in the same way. It's also worth noting that the whole world doesn't celebrate the same holidays.
Torn could easily use the accepted western traditions for the UK and US where most of the regular customers are located, but it would still alienate others. Attempting to appease everyone by businesses observing the proper holidays based upon where the user connects from would be a nightmare. I think this level of realism would be interesting, but entirely impractical.
Im on the west coast of Canada, what does that have to do with anything? (If I owned one) Why would my Torn company be closed based on the the time where I live?
Eid would be hell on the restaurants
It wouldn't be based upon where you are. That is exactly Gladion's point. If this idea used one singular timezone it would be different days for some people. Closing businesses on Christmas day in your timezone, for instance, would carry over up to 12 hours into the day after Christmas for people east of your timezone. Using UK time, as Torn does, the closures would start on the 24th for lots of us in the west, and end on the 26th. He was saying that it would be an issue since the time in Torn doesn't match the entire world, it would not increase the immersion for lots of people.
The concept isn't that hard to grasp.
As for the idea for having it based upon each different timezone, that was my addition. I'm not sure why you've mixed the two together. Please read carefully next time.
I wouldnt mind seeing updates like that one day but i would rather it not take 2 years to get new missions, faction territories, and the other things. So no they should not be worried about that at this time.
Not sure where you live but where I live supermarkets are even open on Christmas Day, having a nightclub open is common.
Your realism may differ from someone elses realism. It's gonna be hard if not impossible to please everyone.
My Fitness Center is based in North Korea. Holidays are a decadent western frivolity that will inevitably lead to the downfall of the Imperialist Aggressors.
OP your idea is a good one, but the examples seem to be somewhat lacking in objectivism. I backup Passie - supermarkets and nightclubs were open here on Christmas Day..
One mans element is another mans elephant.
From my perspective the game is primarily based on reality but I guess thats looking at it through my eyes.
'Heres looking at you,kid.'
j