New Players should not be able to access global until they are 30 days old. They got new player chat for the first 30 days.
Global
Started by Dead--Man [1895400] on in Suggestions.
About this thread
Posts archived: 90 / 90 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 90
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 52 / 100
- Historical score
- 43 / 100
- Story score
- 56 / 100
- Engagement score
- 74 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- poptop [1355657]
· 10 likes ·
It seems clear to me that not EVERY Torn player is a fully functioning and mature person by 30 days old, nor do all players behave well on Global post their 30th day. Rather than merely making players wait for … - kILLIAN- [1310389]
· 9 likes ·
I just find this so amusing coming for someone who is 19 days old, that being said I so have to agree with it! Spam bots and some of the new players can be quite a pain. - bogie [148747] Admin
· 9 likes ·
Rated - It's global chat, no one owns it. Not you or any of the 'regulars' who feel they have some sort of claim or higher right over it than anyone else. If you can't handle new players having access …
New Players should not be able to access global until they are 30 days old. They got new player chat for the first 30 days.
I just find this so amusing coming for someone who is 19 days old,
that being said I so have to agree with it!
Spam bots and some of the new players can be quite a pain.
I just want to help out fellow nubs. Global is anti-nubs.
Agreed.
This is something the newbies and the global chat anti-newbies can agree on.
Rated +
bump
Rated -
It's global chat, no one owns it. Not you or any of the 'regulars' who feel they have some sort of claim or higher right over it than anyone else.
If you can't handle new players having access to GLOBAL chat then find somewhere else to go...
As someone who is there quite often I actually find that the older players are almost always worse than the occasional new player who may appear from time to time.
Agree with bogie...
"Hi, Welcome to the game, but don't post in this chat as a bunch of older players with nothing to do with attack and bounty you as a show of epeen..." [:sick:]
Then, sir, would you be so kind as to explain the intent and purpose behind NEW PLAYERS CHAT?
You do them a disservice by allowing them unrestricted access to Global chat, whereas they would be well-served to have a chance to learn that newbies fare far better when their presence is not known by those awful Global chat bullies! Like it or not, that's why older players like myself are unable to access NEW PLAYERS CHAT, only staff members. And yet, they come in droves to Global, impatient, with their questions and requests for handouts.
This seems like a failing on the part of STAFF, and this suggestion appears to be a means by which to rectify it. Whereas if they were to learn a bit of patience and made to wait on a kindly STAFF MEMBER to answer their questions/address their concerns/explain the impropriety of beggary, they would be better off by far and away than being blacklisted, and on their 14th day, being bountied until they quit, as per the status quo. Cheers!
Or you know, we could just get rid of the bullies in global so that everyone can use the chat and not just them
And how do we do them a disservice exactly?
And what does it have to do with staff?
Seems you, sir, are just an elitist who feel players should be isolated and shut off until, in your eyes, they have won your approval to post in the same chat box as yourself... [:sick:]
Global isn't so bad. They seem friendly for the most part. As long as you aren't begging and in general just being a jerk.
However as long as I 've been here most of us in Newb Chat try to help out and keep people learning and growing.
Well except the spammers and trolls. Those we totally send to trade chat.
I guess I didn't really have much of a point. I'll help out as I can with what little knowledge I have here. Cept Beggars to hell with them
:Side note : This is hilarious coming from a guy who posts nothing in new player chat except come at me nubs.
How boorish, to answer a question with a question in this manner! However, I shall repost and bold it for you, in case your eyes may be failing:
You do them a disservice by allowing them unrestricted access to Global chat, whereas they would be well-served to have a chance to learn that newbies fare far better when their presence is not known by those awful Global chat bullies! Like it or not, that's why older players like myself are unable to access NEW PLAYERS CHAT, only staff members. And yet, they come in droves to Global, impatient, with their questions and requests for handouts.
This seems like a failing on the part of STAFF, and this suggestion appears to be a means by which to rectify it.
They have their own chat, to help them along during their first days. I say again, what would they need with Global, if it were the case that staff met the needs of new players on new player chat, ostensibly the very purpose of the thing, and the rationale behind keeping older players out of it?
Simple work avoidance, dropping their needs on the greater community by proxy because staff "have lives" and "can't be arsed" to properly maintain the chatbox designed to serve the specific needs of new players. I don't blame you for the circumlocution, however. The answer seems unavoidable.
So because they have new player chat you have decided they do not deserve global chat?
Do you not understand the term "global"?
Your plain ignorance and arrogance is some what alarming...
Should we make them pass a test set by youself as well? [:sick:]
So simply because the current name implies everyone can use global chat, we shouldn't listen to the very valid arguments for this suggestion? I thought you were smarter than that Sweenz.
The game desperately needs more new players, you'd think an interest might be taken in ways to get them to stick around.
Who wrote this suggestion? Me?
No. A new player wrote it.
I understand the term Global. It can be accessed anywhere on the GLOBE, unlike Switzerland chat, for example, which can only be accessed by travelling to *dramatic pause* Switzerland.
New players are stuck in Torn City and do not yet have access to travel the GLOBE.
They also have their own chat.
Moreover, I merely back the suggestion, and have neither expressed nor implied an attempt to amend it.
How many more straws do you fancy to grasp, Sweeney?
Limetree is spot on. This suggestion is an attempt by a new player to help new players. It neither helps nor harms me, but I would back it for the greater good of the game. To that end, I have been characterised as ignorant, arrogant and elitist.
It seems clear to me that not EVERY Torn player is a fully functioning and mature person by 30 days old, nor do all players behave well on Global post their 30th day.
Rather than merely making players wait for 30 days, I would prefer a written test and global registration process for all people wishing to post on Global. People who then break the rules can be dealt with in an appropriately high-handed manner.
I personally feel that there should be some testy thing for global. Global could use a testy spree.
Sweeney's been a bit testy lately, maybe he could supervise?
Nothing too hard: multiple choice should suffice.
This is a hard one to decide for or against..
On one hand Bogie & Sweeney are right in saying nobody controls the chat and that anybody should be welcome to talk in it.
The same debate echoes for trade chat although it's patrolled more by staff than global.
On the other, there's no filter for the type of new players that enter the chat and as a global regular myself I can say that
a high percentage of them that enter global are either impatient, asking for handouts or are generally annoying.
But this it Torn - A role-playing game and like in real life, the world has all types of people.
Not everybody gets along, the world isn't made of chocolate bunnies that shit rainbows. (Excuse the phrasing).
I find myself thinking of global as that one dark alley filled with thugs that a normal citizen wouldn't dare to wonder down for fear of their own safety (In this case bounties/ hospitalisation).
I really am torn on this one. (lol)
Limit the new players to a chat everybody should have right to, to protect themselves and secure the income of new players..
Or add more workload to the staff's/ developers (I'm guessing >) already heavy schedules.
An easy solution to this would be to add more staff, with the primary purpose of moderating all chat rooms to keep everyone in general in line. Either way this does need to be addressed as soon as possible, as I saw Torn is going back into advertising and we can expect an influx of new players.
Edit: Rated+ just for the mere fact the poster is trying to help solve the situation. Neither for or against his argument.