Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Cell Phones

Started by Daneel_Olivaw [1736842] on in Technology.

6 replies · 45 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
2
Authority score
6 / 100
Historical score
10 / 100
Story score
26 / 100
Engagement score
43 / 100
Daneel_Olivaw [1736842]

Cell phones might have been a bad invention

http://www.ktul.com/story/28827848/tulsa-roommates-stab-each-other-over-debate-between-iphone-samsung

Have you seen the news stories? People rioting at stores over the release of the next iPhone, or stabbing each other because they violently disagree over what phone is best.

Here's an easy answer for you, THE PHONE THAT MAKES THE CALL IS THE BEST

About 3 years ago (I think) Dateline did a news story on texting while driving and compared if to drunk driving in a few ways. They showed many cases where a person was texting while driving and hit someone which resulted in their death. The person who was driving was let off with a dollar amount fine or maybe 6 months in jail. In contrast, a drunk driver who commits vehicular manslaughter will usually face between 10 and 20 years in prison.

Is this right? Is this justice? Why does such a small device cause so much strife? How about if car manufacturer's equip their cars with a local, short range cell phone jammer, so you can't use your phone in the car?
MegaChintz [1770536]

Interesting thread. Like most technology it can be abused/misused, so I think the poll needs a 4th option-

Stupid people should be banned from using them.

As thats just not possible to enforce, (and a tongue in cheek suggestion) I guess the in car jammer would forcefully reduce the problem though so gets my vote. In some parts of the world a convicted drink-driver would have a breath tester fitted in the car so they have to be clean to be able to start it, but even that technology is not difficult to overcome.

"Phones don't kill people- people do"
Daneel_Olivaw [1736842]

Good idea on the 4th option. Ched should make it so I can edit a poll.

I saw a news story yesterday about a guy who was caught using a cell phone jammer in his car. The FCC fined him almost $50,000 because it's illegal.

There is some talk among lawmakers about forcing auto makers to put jammers in cars, but so far it's just talk.

The FBI an the military use powerful versions, and there's small low power versions for sale on ebay. I really don't think it would be hard to do.
Tolshortte [648554]

cell phones of today rule. a small tool that gives you so access to so many things on the go is awesome. its a shame people cant use them responsibly.
Daneel_Olivaw [1736842]

My last job was really tough. I was working about 18 hours each day. Some days I'd have a 2 hour drive home from a job in the middle of nowhere. Then the next morning I'd be on my way to a job again at like 6 am.

My boss told me I needed to repair a kitchen appliance which I didn't have a clue how to do. This was late in the evening. I got home about 3 am. Got like 3 hours of sleep. Took off without breakfast to go try to do the repair. Was watching youtube videos on how to do the repair while driving the company truck and had a wreck which totaled the truck.

Boss brought me another truck. I went to the customer's house. Spent like 1.5 hrs watching more videos. Got the repair done and the appliance working, though...but didn't get paid for the day...

Didn't get my next check. Boss wouldn't tell me why.

Didn't get the next check after that one. Boss just told me to ask him later. Three weeks went by without 2 of my paychecks back to back...so I quit

That was Spring 2013

He won't accept my calls now, and he's facing IRS evasion because he's not been reporting income for 9 to 11 years
MegaChintz [1770536]

Your former boss deserves whats coming to him with IRS

Lack of training for the work, lack of support, and a lack of giving a s**t about his employees in general.

Think of it this way, you lost a few paychecks, but got lucky and escaped the job alive.

I suppose we are probably all guilty of not considering consequences to our actions when driving, as so often we get away with it and nothing bad happens. But luck will only get us so far.