OK, I hate Google which is why I have prevented my phone from auto-updating the OS (clearly Android).
Recently though, I have found I can't get my phone to do a bunch of stuff because it lacks this app or that app.
So I upgraded my Google Play/Play Storfe account with MY ADRESS, MY PHONE NUMBER, AN AGRREMENT TO CHARGE MY PHONE BILL, for apps that I WILL NEVER EVER BUY. I only use free apps.
Sorry for shouting. But I hat Google and am irritated beyond belief.
So after setting up this unnecessary account with details I donlt want those nosey bastards to have about me, i just get error after error when trying to install apps.
So, maybe it's because my OS is 8 years old or whatever. It's 2.4 or something.
So maybe I should at least upgrade to Kit-Kat.
My phone is a Sony Xperia Arc S LTi.
Going to Settings, About Phone, Software Update gives me the incredible news that I '...have the latest software and applications from Sony Ericsson.' and that allegedy myphone '...isup to date!'
Yeah I notced it said from Sony Ericsson and not from Google or Android. But this is the way i am told on all the help sites to gety the upgrade process to kick in.
My Android version is 2.3.4
The Build Number is 4.0.2.A.0.62
Does anyone know how I can get this phone to upgrade Android? I have read that it is upgradeable to Kit-Kat at least (I would be happy with that, Lollipop seems unnecessary and i have read it is very buggy).
Thanks anyone who can help.
Once your phone reaches a certain age the maker stops supporting new android builds. Your phone is 'technically' up to date. As to Google play, well, there is a 'skip' option and you don't have to enter any of those details.
Updating to kitkat? ... Try googling CyanogenMod....its pretty good, there is a one click installer...but you will have to check phone compantability
root it and push a custom update onto it
you may be interested in a site you can google (not sure on the rules for posting links here) xda-developers.. from there, you should be able to find your phone and any instructions you should need..
it does appear there is an update for KitKat (5.0) and others for JellyBean if you wanted..
Just be warned that rooting / custom roms void any warranty you may have and in VERY RARE circumstances can make your phone brick and become useless.
I was exaggerating when I said phone was 8 years old. Maybe 5 years old though. Am pretty sure KitKat was released not long, only 18months or a couple of years, after this phone was bought.
Seem to remember I had to dodge it upgrading automatically when it first arrived.
Have got a few more ideas about how to tackle the problem now.
My laptop currently getting a new fan though so can't get online - am in library atm, my phone doesn't let me add posts to the forum (or PMs or Chat, but I can read forum and PMs with it).
Yeah, part of the reason I haven't upgraded was because I wanted to root my phone first but I kept bottling it in case I bricked it. You say in very rare circumstances, when I was looking into it the various forums were full of desperate posters trying to find out if there was a way to 'unbrick' their phones, which is one reason why I didn't get round to trying it.
I really should though as fu<%!ng G**gle keep installing stuff without my permission. I hate them so much. My phone is a nightmare for playing torn and now I have to deal with G**gle talk constantly 'failing authentifcation' and repeatedly trying to succeed and slowing everything else down. Currently taking 90 seconds to 3mins between pages in Torn even when using wireless at home.
There is no G**gle talk in my applications so I can't even change it's settings or try to delete it. I hate those twats so much.
Will check those sites out when I get my laptop back from repairs.
Open the Google Play Store...
Go the top left and hit the three horizontal bars...
Hit 'Settings' at the bottom
Select to 'not' auto update apps
Already done. I chose that option wherever I come across it. Some apps, esp g**gle stuff ignore it. I suppose it's a bit like the cookie barring options in browsers, including the more recent Do Not Track 'choice' built into most recent browsers - if a web designer tells a web site to ignore those commands and go ahead and track you or drop other cookies, then you're getting tracked and cookied.
It's a shame there isn't a phone/tablet OS extension similar to Ghostery!
But I am getting a new phone soon in anycase so I will be able to leave this particular issue behind (and probably get a bunch of new ones in place, although I may get straight onto the help sites for the new model and root it from the get-go).
That's a bit odd...My galaxy s4 never downloads updates for anything unless I tell it too....I have it set to tell me there are updates, but not to download them.
Your phone disobeying you?
I am afraid that your phone's hardware might not be able to run the latest Android OS.
Even if it does, it will struggle to do so.
Yeah, since these rants I have got a new phone but recently (because I used a cheap generic charger instead of a better quality one becasue i didn't replace the one that came with my phone when I lost it) I have burnt the thing out. So until it is repaired I have to use the crappy old one that waqs the subject of the above rants.
It remains a truculant piece of steam powered shite.