Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Astronomy

Started by cosmotic [1968922] on in Science.

4 replies · 39 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
0
Authority score
6 / 100
Historical score
12 / 100
Story score
21 / 100
Engagement score
37 / 100
Pinkie [1886343]

I'm not currently pursuing it sadly, But I intend to in the future and in the meantime I read about the subjects..
Does that count?
Pinkie [1886343]

Most untechnical accounts sadly, I haven't yet received the needed education to proceed further, But I will soon.
Sounds interesting to say the least.
JollyGarcia [494677]

Just wonder what you mean by that. I've looked a little into wavelengths and gas composition of them. Tells a little bit about the temperature with fairly straightfoward equations. Also you can figure out how fast you'd be falling towards the singularity with simple equations.
What really gets my wondering is time dilation and length contractions and how black holes have major effects on time and length. Though these are just concepts that come about from relativity.

T=t*(1-2*G*M/(R*c^2))^(1/2)
T- time of someone on planet (s)
t- time of someone in space (s)
R- distance between them (m)
G- gravitation constant
M - mass of planet (kg)

The idea that we can live 10 years here on earth and an astronaut can go on a 5 year mission in the *same amount of time* is pretty amazing to me. Or the fact that if we were to look at his 100 meter rocket it would only look like 50 meters if he is traveling 1/2 the speed of light. Or how extreme gravitation can lengthen time to an outside viewer. I think this single idea has had a more profound effect on me than anything else in the cosmos.