Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Finding items help

Started by NELLYZ [1974351] on in Questions & Answers.

7 replies · 162 views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
5
Authority score
44 / 100
Historical score
34 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
52 / 100

Most-liked replies

Chaos_Greg [46203]

use the city link whenever possible (to go to the gym, items market, ... anything)
as for finding items... Your eyes and patience will be required. You need to zoom in and look around. There is no 'easy/quick' way to get them all in a second.
-Aero- [1966363]

Best info I've gathered from the forums is the following:

Items have a chance of spawning twice every hour. You need to click the city link (to the left and under "areas") in order for this to occur. So with that in mind you should try to click the city link at least twice per hour for as many hours out of the day as you possibly can.

Increased awareness increases the chance of an item spawning. There are educational courses you can take to increase your awareness. You can also spend merits to increase your awareness, although I've seen a number of people state they are disappointed with having done that and feel it is a waste of merit usage.

Certain drugs increase your awareness for the amount of time you are under their effect. Ecstasy and LSD do this. Ecstasy is said to increase it by a fair amount, but I believe LSD increases it even more. At the moment I am not sure if other drugs increase awareness.

Once an item spawns on your map it will not disappear. This means that you don't have to find or even bother searching for it immediately. You can simply click the city link as often as possible and search the city for items when you have the time to do so.

If you do not click the city link then you'll never have items spawn. This also means that if your were to go inactive for any period of time you shouldn't expect to return to the game after a week or even months and suddenly expect to find items on the city map. The only way an item will be there if you do that is if it was there before your period of inactivity and you simply hadn't picked it up yet.

I'm uncertain if increased awareness also increases the chances of you finding more valuable items. I initially thought that it would, but I believe I've read at least one or two others state it does not and that it only increases the chances of an item spawning.

In addition to the above I've also read that you should never really expect to find more than 1-2 items per week no matter how high your awareness and/or how often you click the city link throughout the day. For me, I've found that sometimes I've found maybe 3 items within a week or so and then have had periods where I go 1-2 full weeks finding absolutely nothing.

When I first joined Torn I found a good 7-10 items within about 14 days. That was then followed by a good 10-14 days of finding nothing. Then I seemed to find them at that 1-2 per week rate. So basically, in my experience it simply tends to vary. But it does benefit you to click the city link as often as possible and I can also attest to the fact I tend to find items more often then not when I'm under the influence of ecstasy (I haven't used LSD much yet, but I assume that would follow through as well).

There may be some things I've overlooked or simply don't know about yet regarding finding items, but I believe the above covers it pretty well for the most part.
Philistine [475622]

If you are using Chrome there are scripts you can install with Tampermonkey which can make them stand out, or tell you how many have spawned in the city for you, but they can't make them spawn faster or collect them for you.
Nazure [1964909]

My advice on city search is simple.

The Torn-city map has already been divided into 9 smaller part.
Just zoom in these smaller part x1 is enough to search for strange-spawning item (If they are available). So just 9 zoom per search for the whole city.

You don't have to zoom in and move the cursor too much.
Madgod [1733719]

I just zoom in once and with my eyes I can quickly in under a minute pick out all the items in the map. Down five, over four, up 5, over 4, down five, etc. Or just zoom out all the way click on a block, zoom out, click on another, etc, just look for the little circle icons they can usually be spotted quite easily.