Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Networth

Started by JimmyJames [581165] on in Bugs & Issues.

26 replies · 533 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 27 / 27 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
27
Discussion span
→
Authority score
62 / 100
Historical score
48 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

JimmyJames [581165]

Not sure if it's a bug, but I can't think of any reason for some my Networth to drop 7 billion dollars, roughly 20%. I didn't spend any money, or do anything that should have effected it.


bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Can tell you're obviously not if you think a 7b loss overnight from 35b NW is due to stock market fluctuations :P
Philistine [475622]

Yup, I am nowhere near active enough to be monitoring the stock markets to keep track of the prices. I buy stocks to get benefits, nothing more.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I doubt it'd be a bug, might be a collectible changing price?

I really don't know without seeing the specific breakdown of your networth on the 22nd / 23rd and comparing them.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

So it could be a few things...

- Did you give away any collectibles or expensive items? Or are you missing any?
- Is there any collectible (or set of the same item) you'd estimate to be worth 7.5b? They might have suddenly changed market value.

It looks like there's been no movement in your Display case for a month, so it has to be one or two items suddenly changing in market value for some reason. Maybe we can figure out which ones they are.


bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Shot in the dark... but did the china tea set have a previous networth value of 10b due to its bazaar listing in your bazaar at 10b Ched? And is now at the default of 2.5b? I don't know who else has a set to be able to reliably compare it to sadly!
Smokey123 [248901] Helper

Similar thing happened to me, but my display case increased in value by quite a lot.
Im not complaining but if anyone knows why let me know (I haven't added or taken away any items from there in months).

From:
$59million on 12/10/2015
to
$330million on 25/1/2016

Thanks.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I've spent a couple of hours on this and can't figure it out. The system should work fine, and prices shouldn't be able to change suddenly like that.

We take the median value of the daily average price over a year (with some other bits and bobs thrown in to prevent market manipulation increasing networth). I can't find anything wrong.

I expect, somehow, one of the semi-rareish items in your display case somehow had a median value of 7.5b, and it corrected itself. If you look at all the items in your display case, you'd probably agree that all of it together was worth around $16b (instead of $23b).

The item with the highest median price currently is the Hazmat Suit $1,300,000,000. Other collectibles and rare items are given static pretty-accurate values if an accurate median price is unavailable, but none of them go over $5b except... Dirty bomb, Gold AK, Pink Mac 10, Handbag, Sports Sneakers, Platinum PDA and Gold Laptop (you have none of these).

The way the median price changes should be very smooth, day by day, instead of suddenly. I've looked at all of the items in your display case (and the daily average prices in the last year), and none of them should have had any reason to do this, so I really have no idea.

I guess I'll just have to rebuild a simplified but more reliable 'median value grabber' and hope that doesn't cause issues in the future.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

After more tests, I cannot break the current 'median checker'. It seems flawless.

I guess a median price was broken (which gave you an inflated networth) and it corrected itself bringing you down to the correct display case valuation. Interested to know if any other users had this happen to them - we could cross-reference display cases to see if any of the rareish items are the same and narrow it down.
JustJanet [911066]

I also dropped by quite a lot, respectively speaking, from 13.1b to 11.3, or about 16%. I don't see anything gone and I didn't notice any huge drop in any item. I am positive I have no items in the billions worth range. I suppose my two largest items are the dozen white roses and the single white rose and those are no where near the range that would make me drop so low. I had asked Passie about it yesterday and she noticed this post today and told me to check it out. I'm not missing anything that I can tell... the NW just fluctuated by a whole lot. I was wondering if it had something to do with companies or factions. Perhaps it has something to do with folks with the nickname JJ? :P I don't know how to check Torn Stats to see if my fluctuation is in my display case as well.


JimmyJames [581165]

I think I figured it out... Single white rose.

JJ 2.0 went down almost 2 bil with 1 rose, and I went down around 8 bil with 4 roses. My wife, who also has 4 SWRs, dropped 8 bil at the same time too.

Looking at the value graph, it seems the last one to sell was on August 19th though, so I have no idea why it would have dropped so drastically.
JustJanet [911066]

Are they that much?!?! I thought it was less than a billion?



Wow... Okay... how is the market value of a single white rose 5B when a dozen white roses isn't even a billion?!?!


Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I just checked, and that'd do it! Thanks!

The system requires at least 5 average daily prices recorded throughout the past year, or else it defaults to a static value based on its circulation amount. In this case, the default value is only $100,000,000 for a circulation of 351.

There were 5 average daily prices recorded throughout the past year, that is until one dropped off (24th Jan 2015). This meant it no longer met the requirements to use the median value ($1.9b) and defaulted to the static value.

I'm not entirely sure how this could be resolved. I suppose we could use 'average daily prices' in all history (instead of just the past year) although I expect this would most likely cause inaccuracies (overvaluing or undervaluing items based on history many years ago).

Maybe I could make it default to 'full history' search if 'last year' search does not have at least 5 rows. Before overriding to the static value. Or maybe this is a rare scenario and not a huge deal?
Butters [34298]

It might end up being a bit of an issue if a player is gunning for the new networth awards and their networth is fluctuating unexpectedly like this due to a quirk in the system, but I can see what you mean when you say it might give rise to artificially inflated "market" prices that have no reflection on the current market as well.

An alternative would be to just go with an average of however many sales there were for the past year (and default to the static shop buy price if there were none), but even then for items that hardly ever sell players could manipulate that market price easily top boost their (and other player's) "networth" by a significant amount with a fake sale or two which is a little icky.



JimmyJames [581165]

I think the default value is too low, just raising that should be fine. Although I think 1.9b was an inflated price based on some weird $5b sale in August. They generally sell for around 1 billion.

But even looking at other similar items, like the 2005 collectibles, with ~800 in circulation, they sell for around 500mil each.
JustJanet [911066]

I'm just glad to know what happened. I know my NW is inflated so it's not really a problem for me. Someone who has a lot of collectibles might wish the value of collectibles that rarely sell were valued a little bit more accurately than at a default of $100m. Are there items that rarely sell that really are not worth much? It seems most everything sells except for the collectibles. while they might not be valuable as anything other than a collectible, they still should reflect a more accurate price.