Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Damage vs accuracy

Started by PatBenatar [420347] on in General Discussion.

27 replies · 996 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

PatBenatar [420347]

So after thinking about the weapons which is better, I decided that I am looking for input from all of you. Which is better and why? I really want to know and conduct a trial to prove once and for all.


Let me know which you think is better and if your interested read below








I am looking for some volunteers to do a trial for some data to test accuracy vs damage on weapons. I am looking for a maximum of 10 players level 25+. You must have at least 2 weapons in the primary category with one high damage and low accuracy and then one low damage and high accuracy. The trial will begin as soon as I have enough players and all results will be posted. Post here if your interested and/or send me a private message. You will be compensated.

This will be a controlled trial.
Butters [34298]

I hope you're prepared to run this trial for an extended period - you'd probably want to specify what stat levels (or even similar / differing stat builds) depending on what you're looking to determine, as the outcome of an attack depends on both the attacker's and the defender's stats (obviously).

Your parameters are a little loose for a "scientific" (for wont of a better word) experiment.
Remilia [1284087]

Isn't "Better" subjective depending on what your own stat build is and also that of who your attacking?
Just look for the gear with the highest stats.
dunmugmeh [538353]

You should match your weapons to your stats ie if speed is low, higher accuracy weapons are a must. If strength is low higher damage weapons are a must. Of course some of us are smart enough to have some balance in our stats.

Personally i didnt give it much thought i just use my dual melee and nothing else.
RonBurgundy [71545]

I love your enthusiasm and look forward to seeing your data.

For me, the way stats affect each other is published, as is weapon data.

I'm still waiting for a reasonably accurate fight simulator for people to dry run builds :(
Eddeh [23878] Wiki Contributor

I didn't notice much of a difference between my weapons with differing stats....

Would be interested to see two people with equal battle stats and life using the same weapon with different stats to discern whether it really makes any difference.
Rino_007 [344056]

The weapon needs to be accurate enough that missing often isn't an issue, after that damage. There was another game that had the test done. After all failure to hit cost you 100% of your damage for that round.

If a weapon does 50% of the damage as another weapon but never misses it is effectively the same as something that does twice the damage but misses half the time. And to be fair there are only a handful of weapons that are high in one category and very low in another. Weapons in the class of "Kodachi's, dual weapons, diamond blade. naval cutlass" caliber of stat distributional are generally going to be the best unless your stats (or your opponents stats) are severely mismatched (ie high dexterity but very low defense, or very low defense but incredible dexterity) for your opponents, or for yourself very high strength but very low speed or very low speed and very high strength.

That is basically a summary of that games test results applied to torn, with two caveats-> if your speed is too low the weapon choice won't matter--- you won't hit anyways, and if your strength is too low you won't even hurt them either.

For example, a level 50 something that I occasionally mug even *if* he hits me he only does about 50 damage... if I hit him... I do quite a bit more. His weapon choice does not even enter the equation of relevance since he A) has a hard time hitting me and B) Even if he hits me several times he can't win unless I'm low on hp, battle turns are limited. If he choice an inaccurate weapon he'd likely never hit me, and if he choice an accurate weapon he'd do even less damage to me.
dunmugmeh [538353]

I would imagine the fighting difference between a 50 damage and 50 accuracy weapon and a 50.1 damage and 50.1 accuracy weapon would be hard to spot but it is there.

The same with our stats. How much more damage and accuracy is there between 2 billion strength and speed and 2.1 billion strength and speed?

It will be hard to notice but its there.

So the best thing we can do is make all the little things add up. do all the educations to get their boosts, buy the best weapons and armour you can, rehab regualry, pay property upkeep, spend some merits on stats, job specials.

all added together they will make a difference to your fighting.
Althea [1886602]

I'm very interested in why you listed 'pay upkeep' in this discussion.

Very much want to learn something new. Not sure about this since I usu let the upkeep go a week before I pay it off.

Or is the issue only there if you forget and let it ride over to Duke from rental property?
Rino_007 [344056]

It's possible that it is after it gets sent to Duke, after all Chedburns post said the penalties would take many weeks for property upkeep to have a penalty. At this point it is pure speculation because unless Someone has stat reduction due to upkeep being unpaid, there is no way to tell. I'm sure some players are going to test it, I won't be one of them.

For the most part it shouldn't be relevant since the only regular properties that you can't pay the upkeep for on a starter job are Castles & Private Islands, and considering the cost of the properties themselves odds are if you can afford the property you can afford the upkeep that goes along with them. I know I pay mine once in a while, and I've been doing Dukes 'Hard' Missions without too much hassle.

Edit: I'm with dunmugmeh on the front of the difference being small with close weapons, that should only matter when stats are really close to the counter stats. Drug addiction... I feel that is something that can easily sway fighting though as that is a potential -35% to all your stats, or a +20% to all your stats or some weird + and - to different stats.
dunmugmeh [538353]

if upkeep isnt paid the property happy can go down resulting in a tiny loss in gym gains. lots of tiny losses can add up if you are doing it in other areas which effect stats as well.

bad stat training, no rehab, no educations, really bad weapons/armour.. if everythng is bad a small reduction in fighting ability adds up to a big reduction in fighting ability.
Nobody [237547]

Anyone can get spy results, so why the hell not...
  • Strength: 350,005,061.4551 +29%
  • Defense: 225,020,085.8790 +35%
  • Speed: 326,975,654.4634 +37%
  • Dexterity: 225,128,780.0282 +43%
  • Total: 1,127,129,581.8258
If anyone is in the ballpark of that, we just need to decide on weapons. Both needs to be tested, meaning several attacks/defends from both sides to rule out the *first hit wonder*. We both need to rehab and be off drugs for the test to be proper, and feel free to PM me your info if you are uncomfortable posting in the forum.

Note: I am not willing to spend 100M to reset my upgrades again, and if it comes to that (in order to perform a proper test) then I'm out unless someone is willing to fund it (assuming enough people have an interest).
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

You don't need to do a trial. It's been proved time and time again that Accuracy is better. But both have perks.

I currently have a high damage / low accuracy weapon equipped, as i'm trying to 100% it. I use it for most battles, but vs higher levels i run into the fact that I can't hit a player, no matter how many times i fire it. So I switch to a higher accuracy weapon.

You can say what you want about high damage, but it serves zero purpose if you can't hit them with it.
Tigrrrrrr [132684]

Thats why you get 3 weapons... so you can have both atributes. One for accuracy, one for damage and one with a nice balance of both.

/End of
_PaiN_ [1424461]

After you figure in merits than it goes against passives, weapon passives, crits, and if the old weapon % from the education matter. If I have the same stats and weapons with the same effects from drugs are involved there are still many other factors to understand. I think this is a fun subject, but to compare any 2 people you would almost have to have everyone that plays compare themselves and I don't see that ever happening. Nice idea but with so many variations I can't see a way to get a legit comparison.