Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Random art

Started by Carrot [276687] on in Art & Literature.

16 replies · 179 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
22
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
59 / 100
Carrot [276687]

Here's some old art for people who don't like Pokemon, but I'm currently learning how to draw on a 3DS instead of just on paper. It's an interesting challenge having a reference image (and using color), compared to having a real life object as a reference.


[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]

[image: img.photobucket.com]

[image: img.photobucket.com]

[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: img.photobucket.com]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
Carrot [276687]

Have you ever been curious how an artist-in-training goes about drawing? Well you're in luck, because I've had art block for a month and have had to take this picture one step at a time!

First off, basic shapes placement with some basic detail shapes!

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

... Then I realize the body is waaaay too small, and I scream in agony!

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

I have to reposition all the legs! And the tail! Noooo!

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

While in the middle of fixing the legs and tail, I noticed I also have to resize and reposition a lot of things, such as the ears and ribbons.

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

Hrm, remember kids, even Pokemon have butts.

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

At last, I can finally color it in... Placed the pink of the tail first, then white over that, then pink for the head, then white over that.

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

Time to take the general placement of those long ribbons and fully flesh them out. Also, extend the toes a bit..

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

I'm really sick of this picture by this point, so I sloppily placed some colors and eyes, as well as some future colors to smudge across. I also keep noticing when the ribbons and other facial details are too large and need to be trimmed.

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

Added pupils and the shading I'm going to smudge.

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

Ah maaaan why did they ask me to use BLUE as a shading color?! So ugly to me. Ah well, I just got to get the picture finished.

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

Add some points to those ribbons and ears, slap on a nose and mouth, aaaand rejoice! We are done!

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]

WRITHE IN AGONY BECAUSE NO YOU FOOL YOU ARE NOT DONE YOU OVERLOOKED THE POINT ON THE TOP RIBBON

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]


NOW you are done. With one stupid picture that you've worked on for over a month. Congratulations! You are now an amateur artist with an amateur picture!

[image: d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net]
NikolaTesla [1631174]

Hello Carrot.

Liking what you have done. Have some questions.

1) Are all the images in your thread done on the 3DS?

2) Was it a 3DS XL?

3) Is Art Academy the name of the software?

It's good stuff especially considering that it has been done on a small hand-held device which must surely make it more difficult than other media/devices.

I'm interested because I bought my son's Mum an art package for her to use on his 3DS XL (ha, coincidentally it is the yellow Pokemon limited edition device) and I don't think she has used it. Hopefully I will get the chance to show her these images and it might get her interested in having a go with it.

R+



Carrot [276687]

Thank you!

1: Only the Pokemon ones are done on the 3DS. The rest are on paper. However, I have seen people do amazing things with this game and I bet I could do something more "lifelike" with practice!

2: Nope, the original 3DS. I assume a larger one would help me out a lot as I have to be irritatingly precise with such a small screen.

3: Specifically, I use Pokemon Art Academy. I'm actually interested in getting the original Art Academy, as it teaches nearly the same things, but applies to real life objects/people instead of Pokemon. I hear Disney Art Academy recently came out if you're interested in that.
NikolaTesla [1631174]

I suspect the XL would make an enormous differnce. Even just for gaming I found that after seeing my son's friends 3DS' I was very glad I ot him the XL. So for art work I can't imagine how tricky it must be for you. Props and all that.

Returning to your 3DS art software.

1. Because it is the Pokemon version is it designed specifically for recreating Pokemon characters?

2. Or does in also make it easy for you to invent and create your own 'feasible' Pokemon characters that would not look out of place in the Pokemon world?

3. And what happens if you try to use it to draw a caravan or a fishing rod or viaduct? Are those items more difficult to reproduce than Pokemon charatcers?

4. Or does it try to discourage you from drawing things outside of Pokemon paramaters?

5. I guess I am asking what is so 'Pokemon' about this version of Art Academy?
Carrot [276687]

1: As far as I know, the tools are practically identical in all three games, it's just that the lessons and example images are all Pokemon related, as opposed to Art Academy's real object related lessons and examples. The lessons are what teach you how to use the tools and gives you tips on drawing, and they will be identical in both games except for the image examples.

2: It only teaches you how to draw with various Pokemon as your examples. You can see how I moved from basic colors to hatching to painting to shading, for example. These same techniques can be used to draw anything and everything else, as well as help you know how to create your own characters by understanding anatomy and color.

3: Hmm, I can't really say if one thing is "harder" than another. Drawing is drawing. Some advanced methods are harder to use for sure, and some things are more complicated to draw than others, but everyone has their own talents and struggles. Talent in the end isn't what matters with art, it's all about practice. Personally, I find drawing inanimate objects to be LOADS easier than drawing animals or people, alive or not. However, other people have the opposite experience. The purpose of these games is to help you know "how to draw" and gives you the tools to do so, so that you can practice more effectively.

4: Pokemon Art Academy doesn't discourage you from drawing anything. It merely encourages you to draw, with Pokemon as an inspirational example. Things like sketching, perspective, and shading can apply to all types of pictures, not just Pokemon.

5: Every lesson, the NPC teacher in the game will say "today we're learning how to (for example) use the Pencil and Opacity tools in order to learn hatching. We will be drawing Snivy for practice. Snivy is a smooth reptilian Pokemon that has a leafy tail, and we want to use hatching to give off these textures." Besides that, all other reference images they hand you will be of Pokemon. The regular Art Academy will probably give you pictures of plants and animals and people.

If she doesn't care for Pokemon, she can get regular Art Academy and I'm sure it'll teach the exact same principles. :)
NikolaTesla [1631174]

I get it now I think. The Pokemon version doesn't include features that apply only to Pokemon. Rather it has features that can be used for any subject matter but the game applies the features to Pokemon characters and the Pokemon world.

This could be particularly useful in encouraging or motivating an artist who is keen on Pokemon or cartoons in general in an way and to an extent that other subject matter might not. To use your word to 'inspire' them. It's quite clever.

As for the software for my son's Mum, I bought it for her quite a long time ago but can't remember which it is. Art Academy sounds familalr though so it may well be the standard version of that.

That's not so important though. What is important is for me to get her thinking about using the one she has again because once the first hurdles have been overcome I think that she might find it relaxing.

I think showing her what these programs are capable of might whet her appetite. Which is where your Pokemon images might help. We separated a long time ago but I will see her when I collect my son on Sunday for our boardgaming session. I'll try and get her to look at them then.