Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

ALS Awareness

Started by Jinx [130987] on in General Non-related.

4 replies · 49 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
10
Authority score
17 / 100
Historical score
13 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
43 / 100
Jinx [130987]

Hey everyone, I'm not much of a poster, but at times I feel I have to post something I feel very strong about, and have to share my views...

My name is Tyler Bryson(27). My father, David J Bryson(54) has been diagnosed with ALS recently. With this being ALS Awareness month in the US, I feel I HAVE to bring this to light if it hasn't already done so.

For those of you that don't know, ALS or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosishave to con (Lou Gehrig disease) is a disease that attacks the spinal nerves and general nervous system. This means that it attacks all muscle and motor functions in your body. Your ability to speak, and pretty much do anything is lost.

My father noticed he has a lack of speech in October of 2015. He has lost a lot of his speech, you really have to concentrate to understand him. He was recently interviewed for a local news station in York, Pennsylvania for raising awareness.

His medical bills have unfortunately overcome him as health insurance does not cover any of the treatments, or medication.

Here's the link along with the video for his interview:

http://abc27.com/2016/05/15/york-county-man-diagnosed-with-als-raising-awareness/

I am in no way shape, or form asking for any money or hand-outs, though if you donate to his go find me page, it will be greatly appreciated!!!

For those of you wanting to help, his gofundme page is here:

https://www.gofundme.com/DaveBryson

With a heavy heart I would also ask if any admin or staff member would like to talk about possibly having an event or just something posted for ALS Awareness. I never ask for anything, but if anyone could or would, please pray for my father... I'm not a religious person, but I want to try to cover all angles of this as possible. If you wish to contact me, please inbox me here. I would like to hear your stories of ALS or even just to talk.

If you would like to learn more about ALS, you can find it here:

http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html

Thanks for your time if you've read everything. I do appreciate it...

~Jinx
SeaLion [250755]


Yes, this is familiar because of the internet challenge that boomed in popularity not long ago.


I am sorry to hear you and your family are dealing with this. Seeing people dilapidate like that is one of the worst pains on the world. I hope that the rest of his life is as good as it can be. Most importantly he is surrounded by people who love him.


1035358 [1035358]

I honestly read the title of this thread as "ASL Awareness" and thought it was going to be another bitch fest about fake female multies [:laughing:]

Saying that I'm not trying to make light of yours or your fathers situation (it's just my innate need to use humour in uncomfortable situations), I could say "my prayers are with you" but I don't believe in God so that would really just be a lie so instead I'll just say I hope the best for you both and that the outcome is as painless as possible.
Jinx [130987]

Thank you. I tend to try to use humor in most uncomfortable situations as well, just to try to cope with things, however, I've been in a state of denial for a while, and now depression has set in.

my father has been such a humble person in life. He would give you the shirt off his back, a meal to eat, and a bed to sleep no questions asked if you came up to him cold, wet, and hungry. He is a man of honor and deserves so much more in life...