Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

API for message contents.

Started by konaras [2005347] on in API Development.

6 replies · 105 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
4
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
71 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
28 / 100
Engagement score
48 / 100

Most-liked replies

IceBlueFire [776] Officer Officer

Nope. If you want the message content, you gotta log in. It's designed to be a notification system, not a 'play the game without logging in' sort of thing.
Mauk [1494436]

That doesn't make much sense. What about events, why are their content available? We should receive just a "You have one trade event available" and force users to login just to read them...

I don't personally care there's no way for us to get the message contents, but most 'notification systems' include the text body in notifications, and having them would still only be useful for users to consider if they should log in to respond or not. Having a full message would in no way allow someone to "play more" while logged out. Yes, it could prevent empty logins that would be done just to read messages, but that's a very weak gameplay incentive.

As I said, I'm not advocating for the contents, but that's just a weird argument against them.
IceBlueFire [776] Officer Officer

Messages are more prone for having sensitive information though. I admit, having an API key, you're already giving away plenty of information already, but it was what was in mind for not including a message body.
Mauk [1494436]

That's a good reason. :)

I won't try to find counter arguments because I don't have a good enough use-case for giving up privacy, but that does indeed require debate if one's to request them to be included.

(In fact, I don't have any use-cases for message bodies..)
konaras [2005347]

I'm developing an Android app which would allow users to monitor their profile stats, events and messages. It will also have a notification system informing about new events and messages.