18 replies · 619 views · thread synced · 8 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
45
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100
Most-liked replies
McNeo[864688]
· 5 likes · If you want a Chrome extension then DoctorN should work fine for you. My development skills are limited to .NET and I know nothing about making browser extensions and don't really have an interest in trekking in to that field. …
Alright, so. I took some time off due to some Torn drama with staffers and even after "coming back" I've kept quiet for a few months simply because I've been focusing on starting my business, frankly, learning more about taxes than I ever wanted to know. But, I've finally got time, once again, to do some API development.
I'm working on a Windows-based program once again that has it's roots in my old Torn Tools, however I am adding a TON more customization options and implementing all the requests I received from Torn Tools - not to mention a handful of bug fixes still on my list from the latest release of Torn Tools.
Preemptive "F"AQ:
Yes, this will ONLY be available for Windows users.
No, it will not work on Mac or Linux, regardless of any emulators or your level of kung-fu.
Only your API key is required to use it.
Data will be transmitted between your computer and the Torn servers only.
It will be a downloaded .exe file that will run natively with no "install" process. It will be available through a secure SSL download link with an independent virus scan report and MD5 hash.
Yes, it will be open source.
Yes, you can turn off the "bars" and sections you don't need.
Yes, it is based on Torn Tools and will feature new, well, features, and a number of improvements and bug fixes as suggested/reported from the previous version.
Sneak peek: [image: s14.postimg.org] Please note, you're only seeing the default Windows window because this is in development view... I probably won't be using this theme [:wink:]
I'm honestly not sure what you mean by "biographical tweet" but - our past differences aside - I'm simply letting players know that i'm re-working what was "Torn Tools" and hoping for a release within a month, that's all.
No, it will not be compatible with alternative zoom levels, high contrast views, or screen readers; and non-standard color schemes may experience visibility issues. Sorry, but there are far too many objects/controls/things in this project to try to accommodate that level of accessibility. No offense, and I'm sorry, but I simply can't do it with my resources in creating a free product.
No, I don't need any additional beta testers on this project.
It will be available in English.
It will be compatible with Windows XP or newer provided you have the Microsoft .NET 4.0 framework installed (which most people do).
There will be NO auto-update feature as this would require communication with my server. To eliminate any questions and ensure your security communication will be directly between the program and the Torn servers ONLY.
I'm obviously way behind on this, but I'm working on things now and hope to go HAM over Christmas break here.
Three of the top four most commonly requested features will be implemented (among others):
- Multiple profiles - If multiple players use the same computer, or if you have varying play styles, you can save different profiles for all settings. (You will still only be able to run one instance of the program, though)
- Settings will be able to sync across multiple devices, or, there will be a simple export/import process to copy your settings.
- You will be alerted to updates and the process will take place automatically (upon your approval).
- Which of the four won't be implemented? This will remain a Windows-only application, sorry Mac/Linux users.
With these changes I've also decided, and am happy to announce, that the next release of Torn Tools - TTX (Torn Tools X) will be the final version you'll ever need to download. I am rebuilding this from the ground up and implementing a number of requests, bug fixes, and functionality based on my experience with Torn Tools as it stands. It's going to be simplified, pretty-fied, and God-ified - not to mention completely open-source, and securely served.
Thank you to the current Torn Tools users and everyone's ongoing support in my endeavor to create the best CityWatch replacement.
Just out of curiosity. Im working on a C# wrapper (literally open in the background) for the API and am wondering if theres any specific functions which you have needed during development which i could implement?
agreed, I used torn tools and i still use doctorN, but i stopped using torn tools because i had to open it every single time and getting the new version was annoying
make something on the chrome store and i will use it
If you want a Chrome extension then DoctorN should work fine for you.
My development skills are limited to .NET and I know nothing about making browser extensions and don't really have an interest in trekking in to that field.
I'm simply here to deliver whatever it is that I have to deliver - simply using my hobby to make something useful for myself, and share it with others. Sorry if it doesn't work on your computer or doesn't meet your needs, but it is what it is.
I made the decision a week or so ago to delay this some due to the changes in the faction skill tree, territories, and other API changes, so that the initial release can be fully compatible with the current Torn without the need for any immediate updates or program-breaking bugs.
Sorry for not updating you sooner on this delay. The existing Torn Tools is still working properly so far with the faction skill tree and API changes.
If I worked with a third-party developer, would you be interested in cross-platform Java version of Torn Tools? Don't need a ton of replied, just thumbs up this post for yes, thumbs down for no.