84 replies · 1.16k views · thread synced · 11 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:85 / 85 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
85
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
62 / 100
Engagement score
77 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Penicillin[1517799]Committee
· 17 likes · I asked your wife the same thing and she said something about how she's "gotta have it". I think that's what she said. It was kind of garbled.
dESTROYS[67441]
· 2 likes · moral compass in a game based on crime, faction territory dominance, extortion, attacking others, etc etc :D
arrow[2024586]
· 1 likes · My room. Nothing to do with anything. Just ignore the background jheeze
Why do people cheat in this game? I am wondering due to recent events and also because I used to save successful defends in my saved events, and I recently noticed a lot of the players I defended against are now 999'ed at relatively high levels, like between 50-80. These people put a good amount of time into the game yet were still willing to risk getting fedded. Were they cheating from day 1 and could not stop themselves? Did they cheat, stop cheating, but get busted for past transgressions? Did they play it on the straight and narrow but succumb to temptation a few hundred or couple thousand days in?
I know Dunmugmeh will answer that it is because the cheaters are greasy nerds, but I am trying to go a little deeper in this thread. What satisfaction do you think people get out of cheating? If someone cheats and gets, let's throw out a random number like $70b ::winkwink::, do they feel like a big man or woman spending that $70b? Do they get satisfaction seeing themselves rise on the leaderboards, or feel that people respect them more because of it?
To some extent, this question can be applied to Torn as well - i.e., what satisfaction do you get out of Torn - but to many that is answered by setting a goal, whatever that may be, and achieving it. Achieving goals is good. Do the cheaters feel like they achieved a goal? It seems that to some people, the cheating itself is the game, and their goal is not necessarily to have big stats or lots of $$, but simply to cheat as much as possible and get away with it.
I'm kind of shocked someone would actually ask why people cheat. It's a concept that has been around since the beginning of time, and will literally forever.
Cheaters believe they can be better than anyone else without the hardwork, dedication or skill to play a game. Sad fact is, cheaters never prosper. In time their clock out card is punched and they get caught. Maybe not at first, some may even get away with it for a fair while. But eventually all cheaters get caught.
Personally I think its stupid and juvenile. The reality is they are only cheating themselves.
Can you differentiate between game actions that are allowed and out of game, or let's say quasi-game, actions that aren't? If my faction is warring another, it does not mean I can break into the other faction's homes and beat them up (putting aside that 85% of online game players are RL blackbelts who would kick my butt).
The satisfaction of seeing people make numerous posts complaining or conversating about it or them in the forums obviously is the reason why they cheat