I had a mission today, to attack someone with high dexterity and beat them.
Currently my speed stands at a little over a million, my opponents dex (which I spied after the battle) is far superior to mine.
This is the spy log:
- Strength: 400,811
- Speed: N/A
- Dexterity: 32,678,245
- Defense: N/A
- Total: N/A
This is the attack itself:
https://www.torn.com/loader.php?sid=attackLog&ID=30804a74355a8f738c6449af02747fbc
Without using Melatonin I was unable to get a hit in (the log doesn't show misses) however, as forewarned is forearmed I had packed a Melatonin in my temporary slot, courtesy of unlocking the Torn pharmacy and the ability to equip life and stat boosters through education.
With Melatonin I was able to get two hits in, which was enough to end the fight. The person I was fighting had whored, that is concentrated solely on one stat, and therefore although his overall battle stat total was more than twice my own, he was easily beaten once a booster was thrown into the mix.
There are boosters for each of the battle stats, with a good internet connection and a little luck you could pop a smoke grenade, then run away four times, each time equipping a different stat booster and still have time to finish the fight, as well as having the option of a group attack if that proves insufficient. If the attack is important to you then you can attack multiple times and wear their life down. There is a lot of strategy to consider as well as the raw numbers.
Using my above example against your hypothetical two opponents, you can see that if you were in the stat range 250-300m against an opponent with 350-540m you would have a good chance at beating them depending on stat distribution, equipment, temporaries, weapons and even ammunition. Then there are the passive bonuses from perks, both personal and faction and passive gains or nerfs from drugs.
All in all combat is a complicated orchestra of vying numbers. It's not as simple as player A having more TBS than player B. Stat distribution is another key facet, and probably the most important. It's not simply about the amount of TBS, it's about the ratio in which they allocated. Your best bet is to have a look on the forum using the search term stat ratios. There are also many opportunities for newer players that older players didn't have, as well as the fact that new players now are on average much richer and can make money far more easily than ever before. When I started money was scarce and I couldn't afford xanax to train. Now the majority of new players are able to sustain both xanax use and rehab fees without undue effort.