Recently I found that my son was addicted to drugs. After that my focus was on him and his addiction. I tried really hard to fix his addiction but nothing worked. As a single parent who left a drug addict and alcoholic partner when my two children were young, I promised myself that I would make a better life for them. I tried so hard to be a good parent, making their well being my first concern. But I failed in that too. I realized that my sons sobriety was not within my ability to control. With one of my friend's suggestion, I am considering to take him to a drug treatment center in Calgary( http://edgewoodhealthnetwork.com/what-we-treat/drug-and-prescription-medication-addiction/ ). Please pray for my son. Hes fighting addiction to drugs. I dont want to loose him. Has anyone here been a parent of an addict? How did you deal with it? Please share.
Drug addicted son
Started by Adam_C [2063432] on in Health & Fitness.
About this thread
Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 6
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 6
- Likes on archived posts
- 11
- Authority score
- 8 / 100
- Historical score
- 16 / 100
- Story score
- 32 / 100
- Engagement score
- 52 / 100
Recently I found that my son was addicted to drugs. After that my focus was on him and his addiction. I tried really hard to fix his addiction but nothing worked. As a single parent who left a drug addict and alcoholic partner when my two children were young, I promised myself that I would make a better life for them. I tried so hard to be a good parent, making their well being my first concern. But I failed in that too. I realized that my sons sobriety was not within my ability to control. With one of my friend's suggestion, I am considering to take him to a drug treatment center in Calgary( http://edgewoodhealthnetwork.com/what-we-treat/drug-and-prescription-medication-addiction/ ). Please pray for my son. Hes fighting addiction to drugs. I dont want to loose him. Has anyone here been a parent of an addict? How did you deal with it? Please share.
You cannot 'fix his addiction'. He has to want it, for himself. Unless he is fully on board there is no point sending him off to Treatment Centres, you'll most likely go round in circles, you son will feel further alienated/ guilty if he has a relapse, you may resent the money spent of it does not 'work' - etc. If your son wants to go to rehab-by all means, but i feel from your post the push is coming from you?
I think you should stop 'enabling' him- i.e.- if over 18,help him get a small apt/flat, and leave him to it. You have your own life to lead also. May I suggest reading on Nar-anon.
P.s you didn't 'fail', nobody did.I know you are trying to care for him as best you can, but it is my experience that addicts often need to teach a certain point where life is uncomfortable before they realise what a serious problem they have.
What BadKitteh said. Hitting the bottom seems to be the only way for most. I think the opposite of addiction is connection. Something is missing and addiction is covering it up. He may not know himself what is missing from his life. Paying his rent, buying new clothes, food, bills etc will not fix this. It will make you feel better, in some ways, but will not stop him using. A treatment centre may help him to find what is missing in his life, mind or soul. It can also be the starting point for better habits in general.
addiction is an subject that you cant just take one class in, you have to understand, and feel the whole shit to understand it.
important questions is, how old is he? what he been usin? and whats the end goal?
.
I've been trying to quit for fifteen years. It isn't easy, but the important thing is, I've never given up.