If I walk away from my laptop to do something else with Torn up in the foreground within a minute or so, the fans kick on full blast and I was able to "catch it" with performance logs tacking the i7 6700 processor out at 100%, normally it idles with things in the background at 2-5% , as I'm writing this it is at 5-8%... There is something in your code that is stealing processor time when idle. Check behind your programmers.
Processor Usage Idle
Started by JCinNC [1656586] on in Bugs & Issues.
About this thread
Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 21
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 61 / 100
- Historical score
- 38 / 100
- Story score
- 46 / 100
- Engagement score
- 62 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- Philistine [475622]
· 3 likes ·
Out of the 20,000+ people who play the game, Torn is just coming after you? - Swatsicle [1593313]
· 2 likes ·
Ooo! Is it a JavaScript-based crypto currency miner? ... Or did you forget to scan your computer and catch a real crypto miner? - Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor
· 2 likes ·
I have also noticed the raven script OP talks about, no idea what it does though. Also don't know whether it adversely affects my processor usage when I leave it opened idle... As mostly that means I am having dinner …
If I walk away from my laptop to do something else with Torn up in the foreground within a minute or so, the fans kick on full blast and I was able to "catch it" with performance logs tacking the i7 6700 processor out at 100%, normally it idles with things in the background at 2-5% , as I'm writing this it is at 5-8%... There is something in your code that is stealing processor time when idle. Check behind your programmers.
Ooo! Is it a JavaScript-based crypto currency miner?
... Or did you forget to scan your computer and catch a real crypto miner?
If you check developer logs on your browser can you see what process is taking up the bandwidth and on what page this occurs?
Only happens with Torn active smart-asses... Any of em and no time right now but I will look into that later...
Only seems to do it full screened as well. If I am windowed it doesn't do it, like it's trying to avoid any loggers on screen...
looks like a shitload of requests for a torn.com/js/raven script...
Can you post a copy of the logs here?
I will then push it up to see if a developer can reproduce this.
I'm telling you, as soon as I'm looking at it, it goes dormant, noticeably.... Pretty sure there is some wackiness going on...
Out of the 20,000+ people who play the game, Torn is just coming after you?
im sure thats exactly what he means smh
To the OP, I am more curious than able to offer any assistance.
Do you have an old system?
Torn does fluctuate with myself too from 25% to 45% CPU usage. I do not believe its anything negative just the system keeping it ticking along.
Do you have any ad blocker / trackers running ie Avira running in browser?
Update?
Is this still an issue?
Not an issue per-se from me, I have blocked all java scripts from torn.com and the issue hasn't come back nor have I noticed any adverse effects in torn.
To the coment from L-de_P above, My system is not old. It is gen.6 i7 with off board graphics. I never hear the fan come on with it unless I forget and leave it on and stick it in my bag or the exhaust is covered (sitting on a pillow or something) too long... Thats probably the only reason I noticed it. I don't run ad-blockers, I probably should as I hate all ads and telemarketers in particular... WTH is an avira?
Being that blobking Torn from running Java pretty much says it's coming from your site. Just sayin, check your code. You got a bunch of Russian programmers you barely know making months worth of changes that amounts to changing a font on some obscure page. They are hosing you. God knows WHAT this site is doing anymore.
I have also noticed the raven script OP talks about, no idea what it does though. Also don't know whether it adversely affects my processor usage when I leave it opened idle... As mostly that means I am having dinner or am on the toilet or someplace else...
Do you travel a lot, by any chance? Because Torn really pegs the CPU when animating the clouds. It also does that when animating the home page and the casino games.
That's been reported here.
Mentions: Lag on travelling page
is your 5-8% background for everything or just torn, as im on a laptop and idling chrome/torn sit at 0.5-0.9% and its processor is far from the i7 6700 cpu and while in use torn goes to max 5.2%
if your using doctorN it may be a dataleak in their API pulling or a possible dataleak in the torn API system i believe recently there was a few issues with APIs so may be to do with this?
I don't think I've ever run a laptop with the sole intention of running torn... but yes, everything running it idles pretty low from what I see... I have been staying away from the casino because Ched keeps calling me a loser because I used to run the slots hoping for a payout before I realized that is reserved solely for multis... I don't travel much except for rehabbing, I'm telling you, with the full screen only, usually sitting on home page (click home at top of main stack is usually where I leave it) it just seems like someone is writing code to ride on top of torn, looking for people who leave torn active when their machine is idle.... If my machine wasn't so fast normally it would be running the fans constantly like my old one and wouldn't notice the slight uptick...
sorry it takes a bit to update this thread, but Torn doesn't give notifications on this.... except when it is about to close out... I don't sit around all day playing torn... I like it, I play it when I've got a few, I try to maximize my daily contributions to make myself a contender in the Torn ecosystem, but I'm not trolling forums and checking up on statuses....
I will pass this over to Dima for checking. We've actually moved away from sentry now so perhaps things are no longer an issue.