Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Spain Justice...

Started by Sweeney_Todd [27468] on in Politics & Law.

67 replies · 363 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 68 / 68 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
68
Discussion span
→
Authority score
11 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Sweeney_Todd [27468]

I'm amazed no one has made a thread about this...

Basically a region of Spain wants independancy and the government said no. So they send in the police and injure 100 people, with rubber bullets and throwing innocents down concreate stairs. Over a simple vote...

Something is really ****ed up here, in a western country acting like a dictatorship...

Spain, wtf are you doing? [:sick:]
Acephalist [2052799]

Lets be honest here we don't anymore European countries during the refugee crisis they should wait until everyone gets their sh*t together
Sweeney_Todd [27468]

And that has what to do with what I have posted?

Take your shit and **** of elsewhere unless you understand the topic... [:sick:]
Sweeney_Todd [27468]

So you understand their culture and that they have been a seperate state for centeries, or do you have no idea what you are talking about?

Do you see throwing innocent protesters down stairs as a good thing?

This is an area that want's independance from their mother country. This has nothing to do with refugees... [:sick:]
Acephalist [2052799]

So just because they were divided for such a long time wessex,northumbria,east anglea,and etc kingdoms should have independence from Britain as well
xMrPink [221113]

Enforcing some pseudo martial law is absurd. They are getting desperate.

Issue is, Catalonia is one of the most affluent parts of Spain, and has a huge tourist income, so Spain don't want them to go independent.

This has been fizzing for years, they piped up during the Scottish referendum too.

However I don't believe they would survive outside the EU, and Spain would veto their application out of spite, judging on their current actions.
Buzz [4309]

It's goes a bit deeper than that. Catalonia have had meaningless, non-binding referendums in the past. Independence wins, but this group has always narrowly been a minority of voters: most pro-remain people don't participate as instructed by the Spanish government.

This time the issue is very much that Rajoy, the prime minister, made it into a HUGE deal - this vote is non-binding so it MUST BE STOPPED WITH VIOLENCE. They stopped a bit of it, but they gave the referendum credibility while the overreaction cost Rajoy his. There are now undoubtedly a majority of Catalonians who want independence, and after all this fuss they want to be heard - they certainly don't want their local government removed with Rajoy's cronies moving in. The local government will soon try to simply declare independence, which will be interesting to say the least.

For further context, Catalonia is a wealthy, liberal and left wing province. Rajoy is right wing, his political power coming from the poorer and socially regressive regions.
Acephalist [2052799]

Difference between this dead country nobody has heard of and spain is that spain actually did something when united they conquered the new world,left behind a history of glory and conquest but this country who existed like 800 years ago apparently matters now
Collete [1389080]

Alot more then 100 were injured I did see some footage of local police protecting people from the federal police scum



Turull said the number of ballots did not include those confiscated by Spanish police during violent raids which resulted in hundreds of people being injured. At least 844 people and 33 police were reported to have been hurt, including at least two people who were thought to have been seriously injured.
daub [1869454]

Madrid might have sat back, watched then tried to engage with the result by talking. The people are secondary (if that) to larger projects these days. ECB can't afford Catalonia out of Spain.

FC Barcelona in Premier League now!
MachineGunSteve [184119]

I am of a mixed mind on this one. The Catalonian people should have the right to self-determination, but I also understand Spain not wanting to be torn to pieces. I do not agree with the use of force, but it is to be expected. If California ever actually did try to separate from the USA, I am sure the tanks would roll in pretty quickly. Probably the same would happen in Scotland... I guess? I don't really know much about the details of this one. I do hope it ends as peacefully as possible, but I am not holding my breath. Too many people in this world seem intent on dredging up old injury in an effort to drum up support for these types of issues, but if you trace things to their source you can usually find just a few individuals who would actually benefit from a complete shift... kind of like a "follow the money" situation. Who stands to benefit? Again, I am not well versed on the issue, as it has no real impact on my life other than perhaps limiting my ability to watch Barca play in La Liga.

Best wishes to the people directly involved. I hope it ends with some kind of compromise.
JSnows [14906]

not quite a separate state ... an autonomous community , which seems similar but in fact spain has 17 autonomous communities

obviously the state sponsored violence is nasty and unbecoming of a modern democracy but the whole situation is very complex and what i've seen on the news barely touches the deeper issues ...


Sweeney_Todd [27468]

The company I work for is based there, so I take an interest, especially as I talk to these people on a daily basis...

Thry have always seen themselves as different and have a differant language... [:sick:]
Acephalist [2052799]

I could care less if they were poor bastards I would still not release them the idea of independence for tiny countries like that are bullsh*t