Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Mug scripts

Started by Ahab [1735214] on in API Development.

33 replies · 1.5k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
34
Discussion span
→
Authority score
75 / 100
Historical score
40 / 100
Story score
50 / 100
Engagement score
76 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

saeed [1826888]

Myeh, not illegal.



Been asked before.



I do find it neat that you created the bazaar watch script in quite some detail for a "proof of concept" though lol
Ahab [1735214]

Got a bit carried away python is relatively easy to work with [:laughing:] , fully working bar some issues that I'm not sure can really be worked around in a script. The changes to how the user bazaar call work (it used to show a users bazaar even if it was shut) reduced it's usefulness a fair bit as well.
Td3h [1785428]

If it only uses the API it is 100% legal. Just like those scripts that watch the market every 5 seconds, and if an item is listed at a low price they alert the trader. Very unfair to anyone not in possession of these scripts, but completely allowed.
freakmonger [363963]

That's exactly why I think all item/stock API should have a delay. Before long, Torn will be a bunch of kids running 10-15 bots at a time with very little actual human intervention required.
Ahab [1735214]

The bazaar, market and stock data is delayed. I believe it always has been/or has been for awhile.

Wanna say you have a 5min head start over scripts when buying items or stocks.

Ok stocks apparently are delayed an hour, market should be 5.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

"allowed only if it uses data from our API" - from the rules



However, it seems like it should be treated like stock and added with a 1 hour delay - might be worth bringing up with the committee.
Ahab [1735214]

A minute tops while allowing the owner of the account real time access to the same data from the same call or somewhere else if that isn't a thing already.
Ahab [1735214]

Removes the point in having access to status from the api and just encourages people to scrape the site instead.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

the API for the market wasn't intended to be allowed by scripters for mug uses - we changed from static ID links to dynamic ID links to avoid this issue.
tos [1976582]

Easiest solution I see if this is not an intended use is to delay the market -> bazaar/itemmarket/points by an hour like Mat-Senpai says (even 15min or 30min is plenty for mug purposes) and restrict user -> bazaar to a call only available to the user returning the following when called on other user IDs.

{ "error": { "code": 7, "error": "Incorrect ID-entity relation" } }

That said, as far as I am aware stalker scripts using the api are legal so I don't see why not for mugs.
Ahab [1735214]

Just taking away legit uses is why the API is getting worse over time, why should I as the owner of my bazaar not be able to use the api to be alerted when someone buys something from me? I agree that the user call for bazaar data should be on the same delay as the market/bazaar data (which I think is 5mins) but not at the expense of removing legit uses for the api.
Ahab [1735214]

why should I as the owner of my bazaar not be able to use the api to be alerted when someone buys something from me? Options have been given that don't involve crippling the api.