Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Jewish

Started by Gay [2080508] on in Suggestions.

33 replies · 370 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
34
Discussion span
→
Authority score
49 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Gay [2080508]

I tried this once more and I'll try it again. Numerous times Christian holidays are well known and used. There are other holidays than Easter and Christmas. I feel Jewish holidays throughout society are underrated. Plus One of our holidays right now Pesach or Passover is coming up, but what will be noticed? Easter! I mean no offense to anyone but merely a sugestion. I think if you're going to have Christian holidays you kind of have to appease all faiths.



So please I ask if you to vote bump and give me you're feedback on this subject.

Thank you for taking the time to read this all you may go back to trading mugging and whatever you do in Torn.
Scootaloo [1590427]

"if you're going to have Christian holidays you kind of have to appease all faiths. " That's not how it works.



I'm pretty indifferent to the suggestion though. I don't feel like much will be added or taken away by the inclusion of other faith holidays. I would point out though that accepting this sets the precedent of "We allowed X, why not Z?", which would be a mess to deal with.



Unrated.
Remilia [1284087]

If we are going to make up a holiday for a made up religion, why not have a real holiday like Presidents day?
TheLamia [2048880]

I'm all for learning about various other different holidays and faiths that exist out there. Throw in, at the very least, a passing mention for the different holidays that exist in other cultures, ethnicities and faiths out there--and I'd be happy.

Except for the secret Canadian Holidays that only people from Canada are allowed to know and all Canadians are sworn to secrecy about them--not just the various blood oath rituals but also the dates, names and events. However, that goes without saying, really.
Tadd [595049]

I got chat banned for 100 days by a poopy anti-semitic staff member for wishing everyone a Happy Rosh Hashanah... " 17-09-23 - 8:20:22 AM You have received a warning!Reason: Spam/flooding - 100 day chat ban[/b]Tadd: I pray to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, Ganesh, and the Abrahamic God on SaturdaysTadd: Happy Rosh Hashanah yall ü/http://www.torn.com/wiki/Game_RulesIf you continue to break the terms and conditions Torn have in place, the punishment will get more severe; up to a permanent ban from the game!"... Thanks Obama! ;-;
McDallas [14757]

I like it personally. I grew up in a country which celebrates holidays for about 4 religions and I thought that was awesome and perspective expanding.

Ched I assume is Christian and that's the religion/culture he knows. I understand why Torn is a Christian "country".

I'm not attached to any religions being celebrated here. I'd just as quickly support the removal of all religious celebrations.

I won't rate since you only suggested 1 additional religion - I'm assuming your own - but I'd love to see a flaming bagel item for Passover.
JuliusBlack [2100899]

First of all, a disclaimer. Highlighted and in bold for all those who might pick on me.

I do NOT(N-O-T) mean to hurt anyone's sentiments and/or defame any religion by this post. This is merely my insignificant opinion(OPINION, not onion. I can and will present my thoughts. BECAUSE I have the right. (Unless I don't, in which case I request a staff member to inform me and/or delete this post. I will happily comply provided the rule is shown to me in the rules section of TORN.)



I personally think that only a mention of festivals is enough, similar to Google Doodle. If some specific festivals are celebrated in TORN, they're not to advertise the religion but to celebrate the festivals. We could even add a wiki link, so that people can know what the festival is about. It will be a lot of work for the staff, but it will be worth the gratitude of many! Think of the happiness people will have, ID no. 1!

[:smiley:]



P.S. I think the thread should also be about ALL other religions, not only, but including, Judaism.
megalomaniacal [1542618] Committee Committee

i think the reason we see christmas and easter as opposed to other holidays is because they have become commercialized and mainstream. both holidays hold special meaning to christians, but they are also celebrated by those outside the faith with a completely different meaning. i certainly dont think that including other holidays would hurt anything.



edit: are you jewish gay? reminds me of a gay orthodox jew i used to buy weed from in high school. he went be the name sparkles.
JuliusBlack [2100899]

First of all, a disclaimer. Highlighted and in bold for all those who might pick on me.

I do NOT(N-O-T) mean to hurt anyone's sentiments and/or defame any religion by this post. This is merely my insignificant opinion(OPINION, not onion. I can and will present my thoughts. BECAUSE I have the right. (Unless I don't, in which case I request a staff member to inform me and/or delete this post. I will happily comply provided the rule is shown to me in the rules section of TORN.)



No offence!! But I myself haven't seen anyone known to me celebrating Christian festivals. Not to say there aren't any people like that... @megalomaniacal
Phil-I-P [2035498]

Christmas and Easter are both based on Pagan holidays. Find a Pagan holiday that isn't widely celebrated, give it a Jewish spin, get a large corporation to sponsor it and/or make kids' films about it and BOOM! Famous Jewish holiday celebration.
megalomaniacal [1542618] Committee Committee

i dont think anyone will take offense to that. i did not mean my post to be an empirical statement. i guess i was looking at this through the lens of western civilization. i recognize there is a large contingent of indo-asian players in torn. i see from your profile that you are from india and with that i know about india and the strong presence of hinduism i am not surprised by your statement. in europe and north america, christmas and easter especially are universally celebrated, with or without the religious connotations.
xMrPink [221113]

Torn is English, it's owner is from a state that acknowledges Christian holidays. So that's why they are celebrated/incorporated via a church.

However, the main reason is for competitions, just an excuse to inject some extra fun into the game.

Ched probably isn't aware of the majority of other religious holidays, which is common for most outside of those faiths. Whereas almost everyone is aware of Christian holidays due to the media coverage/endorsement of them.

Now, there are over 4000 religions in the world, so to acknowledge "all" of them is just a no go. But as a soon as more than one is acknowledged, there's going to be other religions that pipe up too.

A solution to appease all would to scrap the acknowledgment of Christian holidays and for Torn to have its own religion. Maybe Sugarvalves could write some satirical holy text for Torn. Then we have our own holidays.

But then you lose the likes of Christmas town and the design and themes of it. Something staff worked hard on and was really successful last year.

Personally I see no issue with Torn having 1 dominant religion at the owners discretion. As long as other faiths are not discriminated against.
sopy [1386133]

I dont think events are related to any religion.

I think they are related to the events most of us are celebrating like: christmas, halloween, easter, saint patrick's day, valentines day etc.

So stop crying about your jewish holidays. No one cares about them.

I don't care about any religion holidays.
Eddeh [23878] Wiki Contributor

Torn celebrates the holidays of the country in which its based (the company not the fictional town). It's pretty much been covered everywhere above, but where would it end? I'm sure we can find one holiday per week from somewhere in the world.