44 replies · 516 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:45 / 45 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
45
Discussion span
→
Authority score
50 / 100
Historical score
31 / 100
Story score
54 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Stretch[1846075]Officer
· 3 likes · I would think having a special merit JUST for a singular company would be quite imbalanced along the way. While I do like ways to introduce new merits to the game, it seems to be a weird dynamic adding it …
McDallas[14757]
· 2 likes · Like revives for example? Or spies? Or faction specific awards only for people in factions? I don't get your logic why a company special that is 100% unique to torn and a new function, should not get a merit similar …
Ceb[68232]Committee
· 1 likes · Having a book that provides arrest unlock would be a nice addition as well. Will get into nitty gritty later but overall R+. I do like the arrest system and the opportunities that open up with it. I could see …
Although this is only for those who work in a Detective Agency, arresting has really added something new to the game. It's common that I'll get a message from someone I arrest asking me if that's a new feature in Torn. It has awakened curiosity, and for me as an old timer, it gives me something new to be excited about while we wait for War to be released.
What I feel is missing though is having arrests show up in our personal stats, as well as potential for merits for x amount of arrests. It's bad enough that they don't count towards chains, and they make wayyyyy less than slutting or mugging. There needs to be more incentive for arresting, as it's genuinely a cool feature, but has a lot of points lacking for it to be truly worthwhile. Torn needs new things, and for those new things to be practical for players.
My suggestion:
1. Show arrests in personal stats / Have arrest recorded
2. Create merits/honors/awards for those with x amount of arrests
3. Allow stealth arrests using the same requirements as stealth attacks
Edit: Additions from the community
1. Have a book that helps with arrests or allows/unlocks arrests while the book is active
2. Make arrests not only exclusive to Detective Agencies
3. Allow arrests to count towards chains, similar or same as Mug. UPDATE: Wonderful news, arrests now count towards chains. It seems they are set as leaves! Thank you Ched!
4. Allow merits/awards for other company specials / Update companies to make awards/merits for arresting fair across the board.
5. Update: I wish there was a log for me to see how many and who's flights I've delayed.
revive ability is gained from primary job, so is the spying (tv spies doesn't count towards the spy merit). Faction warring is still one of the main features of torn wheres the arrest is just a company perk. No private company activities should be providing awards.
I can see both sides of the argument. None of the other companies specials show up. However, if they aren't going to show on our stats, they should still count towards chaining.
Ched/ his developers/the committee did a really good job in bringing this genuinely fresh and exciting new company to Torn. As part of that, I would also like to see some recording of arrests showing in our stats, its unique, after all. And similar recording exists for a few other jobs already - spying, revives, etc - as TomDickHarry said. So there is some precedent already for this.
But, I think it is important too to make sure that companies are fair and equal across the board. So perhaps there should be a whole review of what additional company stats (across all companies) might be worth recording/introducing. I understand there are many new merits planned. Perhaps this could be a good platform for adding this across all companies?
Oh and "arrests made" are already being tracked, which you can check out on tornstats, and much like all the other new info being tracked, it will also be added to player statistics soon, as stated in the latest patch notes.
Surprised you didn't know this, being on cumity and all. :P
About the merits, I agree, would motivate people more into trying out this mechanic which imo seems a bit useless atm.
I would think having a special merit JUST for a singular company would be quite imbalanced along the way. While I do like ways to introduce new merits to the game, it seems to be a weird dynamic adding it this way, if there was a starter job, maybe I would say add it there
I agree with the statistics...and I think they started working on improving the personal stats, as stated here.
However, with the merits, as some pointed above, it would be awkward to introduce merits that can only be achieved while working in a private company. Let's take for example the spies merit. It can only be achieved with army points. Even though you can spy using your job points in other companies, it doesn't count towards the merit.
Good stuff, need it. I probably wouldn't get the merits or honors or anything like that, but It would be cool to see the amount of arrests people have made.
Some merits for various company specials would be a nice addition to the game, it's a matter of finding ones interesting enough to justify it I think. I won't spam your thread but in addition to arrests there's a few glaring ones:
-Oil Rig: Invest over 2b in the bank
-TV: Spies
-Cyber Cafe: Cancel target virus programming
-Software Corp: Hack a company bank
-In general: Trade job points for items or boosts (cans, ammo, happy, energy)
Overall agree with the premise but it shouldn't be unique to one company type. I'd also point out, if this isn't released with a broad array of other company awards, we're going to see people flocking to one company type immediately, and I think that'd generally be bad.