Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Issue: Unwritten rules

Started by Td3h [1785428] on in General Discussion.

87 replies · 1.37k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 88 / 88 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
88
Discussion span
→
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

CountingStars [2026453] ×1 Mandyxo [2110427] ×1

Td3h [1785428]

Last week I was messaged by a guy that wanted to restart, asking me what I would offer if he used my referral. Before agreeing to this, I read the rules thoroughly to see if this was allowed or not. After having read them, and without finding anything about the subject at hand, I agreed to the deal. A few days later I received the following warning:

[image: i.imgur.com]

 

The player, who had messaged me in the first place, wasnt the brightest bulb in the shed and didnt know about the "Two day cooldown" in place before restarting. Something he told me about about post factum.  Nevertheless, he was the one who wanted to restart and he was the one who messaged me about it. After he restarted and I bragged about having an actual referral in the faction chat (everyone in Relentless sits in basement playing Torn all day [:grin:] ), a faction member told me that this was against the rules. Despite the fact that the other player initiated all of it, I was the one who got the warning for "Moderate enticement".

I didnt even have any idea what that was, so I looked it up:

[image: i.imgur.com]

 

I really have no idea how this applies to my case at all. A guy wanted to restart and messaged me for some help to do so. If anything, the enticement existed in the opposite direction.

 

Having unwritten rules like not being allowed to help restarters in exchange for a referral isnt just an annoyance, but also erodes the integrity of the actual rules. Why should people even bother to check the rules before doing things if they are going to get hit by a warning (or even fed) anyways?

 

What is everyone elses thoughts and opinions on this? Have you ever been dinged with a warning or fed for breaking an unwritten rule?

 

TLDR: Broke unwritten rule I didnt know existed, got a warning. Thoughts & Opinions?

 
Buston [2018371]

wait.......  Tom Marvolo Riddle is an anagram for L.... ord......

.....Lord..............oh my..............................

..............Lord Vol................................

..............de............rmot..................



He who shall not be named....
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

That's very weird, because it is in fact a written rule:

https://www.torn.com/wiki/NewAccount 

All restarts are obliged to read that page and agree to those terms before restarting, among which that they're not allowed to be referred. So at least he should have known this and made it aware, that's not your fault if he asked to be referred. 

Just contest the warning in a player report on yourself? I'd think it would be very easy to determine whether something is enticement or not going by the chat logs you had with said player... If he indeed wondered what you would offer if you got the referral and you didn't cause him to restart I'd think it'd be fine... 
Xiba [1324517]

Seems straightforward to me you payed a player who was quitting the game to use you as a referal that would be both an exploit and enticement but I guess relentless wouldn't know the meaning of the term exploit.
Champion [1927067]

Hank enticed a bunch of noobs to restart under his referral a while back in his level guide thread and then got warned by clansy for it

He then proceeded to throw a hissy fit and grave his thread or some shit

Guy is a lowkey crybaby and so are you

Relentless are a bunch of cheats 

Except nash

Nash is legit

Except that one time she mugged me for like 40m

Definitely cheated to get that one mug on me 

In fact now that I think of it, it was probably BraveKath that told her to mug me

BraveKath is the biggest lowkey cheat in the game

Probably a bigger cheat than Tezwar

Which is hard to do cos Tezwar used a bunch of mug scripts with Core for 100's of billions

I don't know where I was going with this but yeah Fake SA are definitely a bunch of cheats or whatever i was saying


Batman [984129]

Not entirely sure how didn't see something wrong with what he was offering. Maybe take a second to think about why Ched is rewarding you to refer someone
Gone- [1703669]

Disgusting behaviour, be a model citizen like me and lead by example.

i don't make the rules i just enforce them.

cheating scum like you truly make me sick 
Hawk [2080065]

So you paid him something to use your referral???

*facepalm*

Enticement = I’ll give you money if you use my referral. 

 PM me if you need anymore rocket science explained. 

Edit: I get what you’re saying a little, if he initiated. It’s like COPS... how do you arrest a hooker? You can’t initiate. Or something. In other words, the other guy is a hooker. 

Yeah. That came out right. 
dunmugmeh [538353]

Yes its in the rules plain as day.

A lot of the people who restart arent too bright.

In fact a lot of them wont even read that page properly when they look at it.
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Paying people to restart used to be fairly common.  When the rules changed, and that was no longer allowed, the rule change wasn't really publicized.  I suspect a lot of older players have no idea that it's against the rules now.

The player who is restarting is supposed to read the rules page, so he should know that it isn't allowed.

But a player who is paying for referrals (which isn't against the rules, so far as I know) doesn't necessarily see that page, and doesn't necessarily know that it's considered against the rules.


Champion [1927067]

Pretty simple

When you restart you can't get cash that was earned from your previous account

So when you fed one account to get money from someone on a new account then you're being paid for something you did on an old account
Batman [984129]

You shouldn't really need a written rule explaining this. Why in the world would Ched be giving out rewards for referring restarts? The whole point of rewarding referrals is to help the game grow while limiting marketing costs. 





I hope when "the rules were changed" that everyone who was rewarded for referring restarts lost all of their rewards. Blatant abuse
SuPeR1 [1867630]

It's called enticement & it's not a unwritten rule it's listed as a rule however I believe you had N0 intent of violating said rule as you had no idea he wouldn't waiting the required waiting period which he may not been of aware of said requirement and maybe you weren't either or if you were aware didn't feel the need to emphasize to him to be certain to adhere to the waiting period rule.
Td3h [1785428]

Of course I can see that point of view as well. And if I meant to dispute the warning I would have done so via a self report too. The discussion I am trying to spark in this thread is about the way that unwritten rules can lead to punishments.

As a player the rules in place are what guide my actions in game. But how are player supposed to know whether their actions in game are allowed or not when unwritten rules exist that can still lead to punishments?

I think that the point I may have failed at conveying is that I would like to see these unwritten rules spelled out so that us players can have more clarity on what actions are allowed or not.

There's plenty of cases with such "intuitive" cases where some actions are allowed contrary to logic.