Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

403 Forbidden Error

Started by Chedburn [1] Admin on in Bugs & Issues.

112 replies · 1.4k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 113 / 113 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
113
Discussion span
→
Authority score
69 / 100
Historical score
60 / 100
Story score
65 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Lilith [1814138] ×3 CrimsonXray [2011902] ×2 Thrie [148961] ×1 Jhalls [1778341] ×1 rainbowsaurus [1884204] ×1 TxGemini [2017141] ×1 Nefarious_ [2019440] ×1 Rediron [2108110] ×1

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

This error is now produced when you make too many requests to TORN in a short period of time. This should only last for 15 minutes.

If you believe this block has been applied incorrectly and you have not been making an unusually high amount of requests, please post here with the following information.


- Exact TORN time of when you received the block (UTC)

- Exactly everything you were doing prior to receiving the block (I.e. what do you think the trigger was?


We will then retrieve your IP in use at the time and view your requests to see what caused it.

Thank you.
Donco [1883596]

hi, i have received two blocks today, one at 1pm UTC and the other at 3pm. all of these where while exchanging sets in the museum. so i was wondering, is there anyway to make it so exchanging sets doesn't trigger it or make it so you can exchange multiple sets at once? it also happened yesterday but i do not remember the time.
Hyp [1458813]

17:13 torn time. Was adding 20 people to blacklist over like 10 mins and added a lot within a few minutes
Helcostr [1934501] Wiki Editor

21:00 I come back to my computer after a downed period, to find I've been 403 blocked. Account ban, so switching devices didn't work.

Somehow, the requests seems to pile up and release when my computer gets back online.
Lily [1530574]

I have received 2 blocks .. to days was at 12.49 tct  just after I logged in to land in Japan... the only thing I was doing was chatting ... the first time I don't recall the time but again I was trying to log in and got the 403 message .. so what activity can you do when you are not even signed in ?

And the ban is a lot longer then 15mins.. I was atleast 23mins to land ..

This is going the same way as the clicking on things over so many times a minute that you had up before ... that didn't work either.. all it does is makes ppls mad..
Liverbird [2133141]

I spun the wheel of awesomeness this morning at around 6.30 UTC and won a PI, I double clicked on wheel selection a couple of times with excitement and ended up getting a 403 forbidden error message. I refreshed the page only to be greeted with the same error, this continued for over 30 minutes and when finally it refreshed found that no PI was granted to me.
Djinnnotre [2134099]

Tried to attack someone around 23:34 TCT on button press to get to the attack window I got directed to the 403 Forbidden page, the page keept showing up on refresh for 30 minutes until 00:04 TCT
Michi [1922819]

I got blocked after viewing some forum posts I think it happened around 18:15. Hope this becomes more lenient in the future especially for wars.
SuicideTree [2131931]

I can verify this, around that same time (18:15) I received a "403 Forbidden Request forbidden by administrative rules." and the website did not load at all past that message. It lasted however 20 to 30 minutes. At the time I was just browsing the forums, a few (under 5) tabs open.
Hcom3 [2003693]



- Exact TORN time of when you received the block (UTC)

2:31 PM

- Exactly everything you were doing prior to receiving the block (I.e. what do you think the trigger was)

I refreshed the forums a couple times.



G37ForLife [1700043]
CPrinceC was makeing a target list of tabs to burn his energy for a chain and by openining so many tabs it casued this 403 forbiden error


 



Max_Cohen [512123]

I was banned 3 or 4 times last night during my faction's chain. Each time I was able to play for about 5 minutes before getting kicked off. Sometimes in the middle of a battle. The last timer I had just used my daily refill because the new day was coming up and that all just got wasted because I didn't come back. It wasn't worth the frustration.

I do not think I was doing anything abnormal. Each time I attempted to adjust my use of the site so that it was less. But even starting out I do not think I was placing an unreasonable load on the servers. My faction chains every 2 weeks and this has happened to me every time and it only seems to be getting worse each time.

To start I had about 8 profile tabs, 2-3 walls, the chain info, and a tab to do crimes and use items. That went ok until around the time Torn went down when I got first my ban. I went and did something else for awhile and came back. I didn't reload all the broken profile tabs. I loaded them one at a time and attacked. I only had the chain info window and my general use window open as well because the walls were empty. This time I was banned in the middle of attacking and lost because of the timeout. I waited less time before remembering to come back and check again. This time I disabled DocTorn (it had stopped working anyway) and was even more careful about trying not to click too fast. (which is a wtf kind of problem to have...) It didn't matter and I was banned again. I lost the fight I was in again, but this time because someone else attacked me. But maybe I would have won before they killed me? (Who knows...) I might have been knocked off another time. I had been up all night and I was tired and I also got knocked off because Torn went down too. It's all a little fuzzy.

Are we not allowed to have Torn open in more than one window?

I don't know the exact times this happened. It was near the start of the new day. The last time I didn't make it to 00:00 before I gave up and I used my refill at 23:45.

I also didn't reset my router this time so I should still be on the same IP address. Admins contact me if for some reason you need it. I don't want to post it in a public forum.

I'm getting really tired of these IP bans for using the site normally. It doesn't feel like I should be flagged as a potential threat based on my usage pattern. I'm just using the site "normally". But I'm still wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Am I doing something wrong? If I am it is out of ignorance and I'd like to correct it.



On a side note; What is happening to the servers that CloudFlare isn't protecting you from? Because that doesn't sound like your standard DDOS unless it is leveraging some code issue to bring the servers down. An attack that CloudFlare can't handle but doesn't end up reported in the tech news can't be that big. Or is it just severe server instability? Because it seems to happen every time we chain too. But it could be I don't notice other times because I'm not logged in as continuously when we aren't chaining.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

We're still trying to find the correct limits, that night we were actually mid-attack so would have been adjusting the limits. I'd be interested to know if you have the issue again - generally if you're making an abnormally high number of requests within a minute - the ban will trigger, slowing down your actions will help. We are going to implement our own systems to replace this 'simple limit block' over the next few weeks.

The attack in use bypasses cloudflare's protection unfortunately (even on maximum security), and due to Torn's database-driven structure it does make us vulnerable. For now we have to rely on primitive loadbalancer blocking techniques until we can build our own integrated replacement.



Mauk [1494436]

If they are bypassing Cloudflare's network, couldn't you block all IPs but Cloudflare's on your load balancer?

Or did I misunderstand and they are still going through Cloudflare but Cloudflare can't identify the attack?