Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Forum Bans?

Started by Superior- [2131856] on in General Discussion.

71 replies · 813 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 72 / 72 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
72
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
46 / 100
Story score
71 / 100
Engagement score
76 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

-BC-M16 [1002535] ×1

Superior- [2131856]

I’m just wanting to know your guys opinions on current forum rules and limits 

It seems as though you can pretty much say anything on here and nothing gets done about it apart from warnings and a telling off from staff but there is a limit from being a troll on torn and being a nasty human being.

Im wanting to know if you guys think staff should be stricter on certain people/comments? 

Or even implement a feature in torn where you can ban certain people from certain threads.
Flak [2091491]

There is a blocking script available somewhere.
And i feel that the community has the ability to raise the alarm when certain lines are crossed.

I'm sure there are a few ways to refine the rules. But i don't think they are urgent needs.
Just today, i have seem some stunning edit work from both Poptop and Stretch, 
I doubt staff can be everywhere.
But some are certainly earning their urmmm.... what are they earning ? 
Well whatever it is, they are earning it :p 

edit - I believe the blocking script is built into doctorn too now
Phil-I-P [2035498]

Easiest way to do it would be to incorporate the forum blocker officially through Torn, and not external scripts. Then it's either your own fault if you see things you don't want to see, or you actually don't want to avoid seeing it.

For the most part I don't really care what people say within the current rules, but I would say I do draw the line at disrespecting the dead. How people (mostly a person) can get away with that, but others get warnings for calling fat people fat is beyond me. I'm not condoning fat shaming, but I'd rather see that than other horrible tripe I've seen that just gets edited after the damage is already done.
HerpSac [2117255]

Given the elements that make Torn what it is, I feel like nastiness should be expected to a degree, but all the nastiness should be Torn based imo. Like personal attacks and things that cause damage outside of Torn shouldn’t belong here. But it’d be cool to have some sort of power when it comes to threads you post. 
Cristen [1479036]

Calling someone fat gets you warned here but calling someone a retard is totally okay. I really used to back staff and say it was just their hands being tied but that's just the most ->retarded
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Doctorn did add a feature to block particular users and threads they started.  Ched then went and changed the code to stop that script from working.

The staff can't stop the shit posters because Ched wants them to shit post.  That's why they can get away with any stupid crap they want to say, and it's why the newspaper runs articles to give trolls the attention they so desperately want.


Sepulchrave [2092631]

The power to ban trolls for being nasty can lead to a lifeless forum. This game has a wonderful dynamic based on the opposition and alternation of good acts and bad. To apply punitive measures in one direction only would create an atmosphere of self-righteousness and pseudo-morality. Let's be fair to Torn's Weltenschaung - if trolls should be punished for being excessively evil, then angels should be punished for being excessively good. (I am, however, fully in favour of temporary bans for idiots - trolls or angels - spamming inanities that fail to entertain. Nuisances such as EDB bring nothing but nails to the chalkboard, and lower the collective IQ to the verge of heat death.)
Dolfwagos [1900418] Committee Committee

A lot of people who are going to reply or have replied here need a ban and removal from torn completely, specifically  -BC-M16 [1002535], If ched could grant us one wish, That would be mine.

 

Mentions: -BC-M16 [1002535]

Flak [2091491]

I literally checked the drop down box when i added the edit, And there were block options....

Which are now not there. Did it seriously just get taken off in the last 20 mins ?!? lmao
Kayla [2031661]

I feel as though the forums are not moderated harshly enough. There are some users that should just be outright banned, and off-topic posts made only to derail threads should be deleted entirely.
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Not in the last 20 minutes, for awhile now.

It's inconsistent.  The forums were changed to use inconsistent URL's.  When they use the same form they used before, then the script still works.  When they use a different form that Ched came up with later, they don't.  I'm pretty sure he's doing it on purpose.  


Flak [2091491]

With your track record, saying that is practically unacceptable. 
My advice to you is this,
Sometimes your opinion is not required.
Not because you don't deserve one, but because it's
relevance is not enough to warrant its use.

People often hold opinions they don't express.
Maybe go for 1 in 3 or summin ? .....

If you get lucky you'll miss out the ones that offend everyone

Edit, I DISCOVERED SHIFT + ENTER"

 
Sepulchrave [2092631]

It's possible that you do hate forum trolls, since you don't really fit the troll-mould. Your comments have no goal other than to elicit scorn towards yourself - they're often poorly thought out and generally quite simple minded. You're like the kid in the back who keeps kicking  the driver's seat until dad turns around and gives him a smack. It would not surprise me to learn that you're a masochist. I'm guessing that you require negative attention to achieve erection and sexual release. If there's another reason for your incessant "baiting" please tell.
Hcom3 [2003693]

"If there's another reason for your incessant "baiting" please tell."

He wants attention.

Because hes a troll...