Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

DNA Testing

Started by Viracocha [1772040] on in General Non-related.

20 replies · 156 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
34 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
45 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Viracocha [1772040]

Hopeful to get a discussion going on this topic.  Have you tried a DNA Test?  Were the results as predicted, or a surprise.

Please no BS from the moron crowd ok.  You have GD for your nonsense.
Viracocha [1772040]

You obviously have only one perspective on the issue, and far from the perspective I'm seeking.  No this isn't about who's your daddy, and some Jerry Springer BS.

This is about connecting with your ancestors, and has it opened up information that was previously disconnected?

Some of us come from war torn areas, where not only the people were either killed or displaced, but the records themselves destroyed.


ColeDTX [1842054]

I've thought about it before. When I was younger, maybe 16 or so, I did jump on Ancestory and spent a week or so on that tracing my background, got to the 1700's or something before I started to hit dead ends... I still have all the government documents, photos, etc. printed from it and got my grandparents and great-grandparents to confirm their parents/grandparents, and that was actually really cool to see..Some stuff, I was not fond of as I did find a record of someone way back in my family who owned a few slaves on their farm, but I guess times were different back then..

Your question though, no I have not, but I've thought about doing it before. I'll be curious to see if anyone here has done it before and their experience with it.
DrZed [237786]

You are paying a company to harvest your data. They share it with you but still they are collecting information upon you. Though those things are there to find people that are unknowingly from space aliens. Or looking for mutants. 
JSnows [14906]

i never cared .. i still don't

and  you don't come to NR often do you? this is the place for our nonsense




Viracocha [1772040]

genetic profiling is a concern, and given the control insurance companies already exercise over our daily lives, it will be an eventuality even if indirectly.
Sikotiq [2120293]

No. But I find it very interesting that they are able to solve cold cases by uploading DNA from crime scenes and tracing a family tree backwards and forwards to find matches to suspects. 
Spock [1294422]

So much of this. My MIL mentions these all the time and I’ve told my husband that if she ever surprises us with one we’re not doing it. I don’t need to know if I have increased risks of Alzheimer’s etc, and I don’t need my insurance provider to know either ? All of my biomed related profs were all opposed too. 
dunmugmeh [538353]

This is something i have actually thought about but i decided against it.

If there is something bad waiting for me as i get older i would rather be in ignorance :P

I dont want to know that say in a hypothetical situation that i have a 90% chance of getting dementia or whatever. I dont want to know that.
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

Great pic! Wish I had seen it sooner.

But he doesn't seem to be bothered by the duck, priorities in check apparently.
Spock [1294422]

It’s so terrible is that it’s that you have a 40% increased risk if you have the certain allele and then the rest of your life it’s like ‘is it happening yet?’ 
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

I had a DNA test run to find out if I was in fact the Daddy.  I was not!  Kind of made me feel bad though as the kid was 15 when these tests where finally done and he had been told his whole life that I was his dad by his mom Grandmother and so on.  I had given up my paternal rights to him when he was like 6 months old because I had a good feeling he wasn't mine. Turned out I was right and the bitch was just lying Still kinda sucked his mom lying to him his whole life though. While I did feel badly for the child I was exonerated for giving him up. Best 500 bucks I ever spent!   

Moral of the story, If your going to cheat on your BF ladies at least have the decency to use protection and make sure you know who the daddy is because the truth can be found out now for a very affordable fee and you don't even have to be involved for a test to be run. Hell they have kits to run the test now you can buy at the pharmacy!