40 replies · 789 views · thread synced · 10 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:41 / 41 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
41
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
40 / 100
Story score
62 / 100
Engagement score
74 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Superior-[2131856]
· 32 likes · Biggest regret was wasting time to read this [:sick:]
Enigma[2025298]
· 27 likes · Tough crowd... Forgive me for assuming people might actually be capable of reading in a text-based game [:sick:]
Boomhauer[2147272]
· 4 likes · You know, if I could react to this like it were Facebook, it'd be a heart. I commend you for persevering through those dark and trying times. You proved to yourself and God what you are capable of doing. Nine …
Most of us have done a few things in our lives that we'll forever regret. Breaking someone's heart, telling a parent you hated them, missing too many of your son's ballgames, catching a felony charge for breaking into your mother-in-law's house to delete a hateful voicemail you left in a drunken rage (I know I'm not the only one!)...But all of us have regrets, no matter how well we tried to live our lives.
I once backhanded a girl in the mouth for kissing me in front of my friends. I was 10, and she was the most annoying girl I'd ever known... She leaned in like she wanted to whisper something to me, and like a tard I fell for it. Big old wet kool-aid stained lips planted hard on my cheek, and I just lost my shit. Apparently I knocked a filling out even. But, choking back her tears, she told me that she loves me anyways. *Gulp* Mariah, wherever you are...this houkah hit is for you.
Yep, Hillbilly was an *sshole when he was young. Made more enemies than friends, caused most of my family to turn their backs on me, even had my dog run away because he was sick of my shit. Real talk, I wasn't worth knowing.
Took me years to get my head out of my @ss...stopped using pain pills right around the time my ex-wife left me for cheating, and spent 3 years after in near-isolation. No dating, no sex, no drugs...just spent time talking to God and examining myself in ways I never had.
The lessons I learned during those 3 years were many, but the most important one was that I alone had the power to become the man I wanted to be. If I didn't like something about myself, all I had to do was change it. And the only obstacle in my path was my unwillingness to accept responsibility for my actions. Hard to change if you're too busy blaming others for your own shortcomings...
I've been drug free (except marijuana, because no one has ever proven to me that it wasn't God's cure for what ails me) for 9 and a half years. I'm not perfect and never can be, but I CAN look at myself in the mirror these days without seeing a stranger looking back at me. I hated that guy, so I killed him. And for 9 and a half years, I have not done one single thing that caused me even a moment's regret. I love like I should, live like tomorrow isn't promised, and finally get to sleep at night.
Tl;Dr - I said all of that to say this: Dude, you don't have to be an @sshole anymore. Many will be skeptical of change, but if you want to come down off that donkey you've been riding, no one is stopping you but yourself. I have faith in you brother. Confront your many sins and be done with them.
Anyone else have any regrets to share? Quitting a faction to join JFA maybe? Scamming a whole faction just because Kingstown was being a dick? Turning down Ms. Torn that one time she proposed just because she distracted you from a lucrative trading career (I have screenshots - don't deny it!)?
Truth be told, pills are fun. But what wasn't fun was the consequences of long-term use...things that would typically just annoy a person would send me into a rage quick-like. No surprise my ex left me as a result.
Say no to drugs kids. And if you can't say no, at least try to moderate use....except for weed. Weed is good.
I regret not trying harder when I played college ball. I regret being an ******* and my girlfriend who I was going to marry left (she’s happy and is going to marry someone else). Being a bad son in general, not trying harder in career,family, social, and health. I’d be a lot happier if I stuck to it and disciplined myself to the bone. Although now I’m doing good. But I learned some lessons in my 20 years of life.
I have few regrets but my biggest is not truely appreciating the mother of my child while she was still alive. She was the final piece to my life’s puzzle and the only piece of me that ever really fit. I wish I had spent every waking moment showing her how much she meant to me.
Inevitably for each one of us there will come a time when we will lose the one's we love and even ourselves will eventually become forgotten memories dissolved into the remnants of time. My advice to everyone is make the most of what you have while you can, cherish every moment you have with those you hold dearest and remember to enjoy the little things that make your existence bearable.
I had so much regret in my life. Whatever the case may be I also blamed anyone and anything so I didn't have to look at myself one bit. I was a half gallon a day alcoholic (chemical dependency sucks) and made very bad life choices in my teen and early adult years. From doing amateur porn (if that's what you want to call being filmed while random guys have their way with you) to dabling in almost every drug known to man just to numb the pain that I could never live up to the potential I knew I had.
That being said, as of now I don't regret any of my dark past because it's given me the strength I have today. (2 years clean and sober Aug. 4th woo hoo!) I have the benefit of knowing harder times than a lot of people out there and can remain calm in very hectic situations.
I didn't think I was going to live to see 30 at the rate I was going so everyday I wake up is a freaking miracle. Bad shit happens and it's inevitable but it can always be much worse.
I have some regrets, but not many. I'm not that old though, and surely I'm making more mistakes as I go along. I try to learn from my past, and I have changed markedly from my last significant point of regret.
I exert a latge amount of control over my life, which until now has meant that most things go as planned and risks are generally averted.
Good on you for getting clean, too. It's not easy, and it's something worthy of celebration. Declaring your independence from external chemicals is tough. Congratulations. :)