Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Introducing Torn Market

Started by nepherius [2009878] on in Graveyard.

61 replies · 2.72k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 62 / 62 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
62
Discussion span
→
Authority score
43 / 100
Historical score
36 / 100
Story score
72 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

nepherius [2009878]
Torn Market - https://torn.market

A website where you can display your prices for torn items. This is an alternative to spreadsheets and private sites.

The market value of items is self-updating (Using my own api key, once an hour)

- This is absolutely FREE! 

- Simply set the percent of the market value of an item and the site will take care of the rest

- Get your own simple to remember url like https://torn.market/users/nepherius

- Your API Key is required to register however, it is only used when you login. After you setup your prices there really no reason to login again so it's possible to simply login once, and reset your key if you are paranoid.

- The site is still under development, some buttons don't work but this does not affect the main function of this website.

 

Let me know if you find any bugs, thank you and enjoy.

 

 

[image: i.imgur.com]

[image: i.imgur.com]

 

A list of brave souls who don't think the world revolves around their API Key  ==> https://torn.market/users 
phLOx [451848]

Problem is, this is what's on the line:

Access to your personal account information, including your battle stats, message subjects, events and your faction's news.

You can easily scrape that, whether you say you do or not. If you are serious about people using your tool, let them use it without logging in, even if it means entering items and prices manually. Once you have built up trust, they can opt to use the API. After that, sell their stats for profit!
Litaeus [1991069]

Ok so I checked it out and here is my review.

Overall great concept although the UI is sad and clunky requires better organization and a built in calculator so you can see prices that you are setting and a way to see what your buying/selling price actually is I give 5/10 Torn Stats is still more useful than this for market related stuff
nepherius [2009878]

Uhm no, only profile is scraped. Just ask a braver soul to try it first, in hes api setting there will be a single call made to /profile and like I said you can reset your key. 

Like all my other tools this is simply made to help players out. I'm sure someone can make a better/safer one but .. it seems no one has.
ricky1234 [2141709]

I do think the API concerns are fair. However with his track record of making useful scripts and things of that sort, I can say that he has no ulterior motives.  

I'd say check it out first, and give honest feedback so that he can make it better, as something like this only benefits us all.
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

https://torn.market/users/harley 

Seems okay to me:

[image: i.gyazo.com]

1) Can number formatting be added though, this looks like a bit of a mess right now

2) Perhaps it's worth casting your values to integers, I don't see the point of using decimals in Torn.

 

For those really worried about what happens to their API key, you can see what happens to your key in your settings, just keep an eye on that if you're that worried.
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

You can see what your API is being used for in your preferences, if he had ulterior motives someone would find out soon enough ruining his own rep, so I don't think you have anything to be worried about.
Diabolique [2177124]

Honestly....this seems a really useful tool, and I went back to give it R+ for the concept. Saves traders from doing as much math, and looks really easy to use. 

But the fact that API is needed....huge risk. No offense to you meant at all. 
Quintec [2110358]

There's an easy way to do this without requiring an API key. If you really don't want to I'd be happy to help set that up instead to use
heresy23 [949810]

Yeah, I mean , cool but ....no one will trust anything with api...everything can be logged and from my own experience, can be used is evil ways......but there are alternative ways to do this without api if I’m correct 
Warlock [881031]

I’m biased since Neph is in my faction, but here’s what I was thinking. If he made it open source or had a reputable person (ibf for example) review the code and confirm its harmlessness maybe that would ease concerns? 

 

Althought i think finding a solution not requiring API would be the best path, that may not be possible or feasible. I don’t know. 
heresy23 [949810]

I was gonna say, reputation and trust are half the battle.....I had a referral of mine who I kinda pushed to write a script and it became pretty successful and people trusted it. But he also made a lot of friends fast and built some trust .  Yes, not having api involved brings the trust of the script up....also unless your a high level player who’s stats are important in protecting assets like a faction, etc.... it kinda isn’t a big deal even if the script writer logs api calls and personal info...also it is a pain in the butt to do all that anyways.
nepherius [2009878]

If you have a good way to retrieve the profile info while also confirming the identity of the user I'm open to it.  I give zero ****s about api keys and people's stats.