I was trying to explain training to new players, and I finally figured out what I believe the key to advancement game is in the simplest of forms. I think it can be best summed as this:
"Energy is the most valuable resource in this game. Your advancement through the game is dependent on your ability to acquire and effectively use energy"
Is that the right talking point?
Nope.
Its Money.
What is valuable to one will always be disposable to another.
Except SE's
Always valuable.
I'd say OP and Krast are each right, as energy is needed to advance, but in order to utilize that energy most efficiently requires planning and forethought for allocation of funds.
Champ makes them disposable from what I've heard.
You have trashed 3x Skateboard.
Disposable I tell you!
Every man, woman and troll in Torn shall descend upon the Dump now for the next 24 hours.
Whaaaa? I thought you guys were extinct!.
[Source]
I'd further clarify that the best way to acquire more energy is to be inactive for several hundred days, so that the game gives you thousands of refills upon signing back in.
I always found it strange that Torn gives you the most sought after thing for not playing the game
Or use your energy several times again to benefit from energy regeneration. Makes better use of "acquiring energy" than to be inactive for free refills.
time+energy+money+happy=stats
you know ive always promoted hard training in my faction..but recently i changed my thinking on training.
here is the thing i say to them. are you a long term player or short term player? if they are short term kinda player then training around the clock for the 6months or 1 year may not be the best approach for you. maybe you should do 50% training 50% attacking have fun with it for what it is and simplify your game play because it wont matter when your gone. but if your a long term player you need to commit to training hard for the first several months preferably in a private island.
some people will never be fully committed players and thats ok it takes all kinds to fill any voids we have. were would a bulk junk item collector be if there was no poor newer players buying them to bulk sell them for a small profit they exchange time for small gains at the beginning so that a wealthy collector can save time but they also spend a little more.
the same can be said for the forums if you got rid of all the people taking the time to be creative and come up with cool stuff to read the forums would be reduced to mostly Q&A, recruitment, and suggestions.
i personally put a high value on spending the energy i do have in the gym because i look to be a long term player or i should say continue to be a long term player.
the best thing to do would be to ask them what they want to do in a game like this and help them go down that road. I have traveled different roads in this game and there is a variety of ways to get ahead. for me getting out of the casino was the the difference maker because over the last couple years instead of floating between no cash and a couple billion networth im having fairly consistent growth.
sometimes i think those of us more full time players need to take a step back and breath because some people dont like the idea that this game is so old and so many long term players are so far ahead. they will simply leave without giving it a chance because we overwhelm them with facts and data. remember they are trying out this game because they are looking for a GAME if they show a interest in progressing help them do so but ive found that trying to force it usually wont work.
You'd still be better off logging in 3x/day and using 750 natural e. It's nice to have motivation for inactive players to return, but I wouldn't call it a viable strategy. Unless someone wants to make an account, then ignore it for 5 years, then login and start playing. You could become the most powerful newb ever with that strategy.
It's called the "Multi Sleeper Strategy" where you leave an account dormant for months/years and then log in for the inactive benefits. Loads of other games that reward inactivity as a "when you come back" incentive are abused like this. I doubt Torn would be much different considering multis are everywhere here.
Please add "Correct" button Ched so i can correct him.
The main thing is Torn is a game , in which each person has to decide for themselves how they want to play, are they after being a strong player for attacking people, ,making money reviving do crimes etc. Once a person figures out which direction they want to go , then they can figure out
what the best way to get there is .There is no right or wrong way to play torn , so the most valuable resource would be based on how a person plays the game
Nope
Broke af and I'm practically a celeb
I think the most important resource a player can utilize in this game is their own commitment to consistency. Staying the path and making certain that you are showing up to utilize the free energy that spawns throughout the day makes a huge impact on the growth of one's character. It helps to have money so that you can also utilize points for energy refills, as well as Xanax. Most of us know what it takes to improve our characters. Most of us do not have the commitment to stick with it.
My friend Deer and I started about a month apart. He and I competed to see who could have the higher stats. We stayed on each other's tails for a time until he decided to get serious and start using a regimen of Xanax and timers to ensure he was truly increasing as much as possible. when he went to that level of commitment I did not step it up to compete. He is now probably 4 times my stats.
And if you look at Josephine, She's half my age but her consistency and commitment has made her a far superior player to me and she doesn't even use the help of Xanax.
The level of commitment towards the game is what makes the most significant difference on how successful players will be.
If someone wants to be successful, they should show up and utilize all their free energy as well as figure out ways to afford to use refills and xanax.
JFK's next recruit right there :P