Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

trial thoughts

Started by cl3ric0l [569400] on in Graphics.

29 replies · 248 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 30 / 30 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
30
Discussion span
→
Authority score
21 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

cl3ric0l [569400]
ok so leading on from nausta's thread was wondering how many people would be interested in a small weekly(fortnightly) ? ..competition
i remember a few years back someone doing this (cant remember who) but i always thought it was a cool idea.
anyway the idea is i provide( to all who want to enter) a link to a mystery box.....this box will/may contain renders/stock images/c4ds/textures etc etc etc.
the idea then is you create a sig/ piece of work which must contain the elements supplied in the "box", you can add whatever else you want to the work (if you wish) but it must contain the provided resources.
i will provide a small(ish) winners pot each week to the winner who is chosen.


thoughts? wanna be considered for entry? wanna be a judge?
Kelsie [340367]
I remember what you’re referring to. The sig competitions were awesome! This should totally be done! I wouldn’t mind being a judge :) I don’t have computer access any more so I can’t make sigs for the time being otherwise I’d join :(
ZOMB13 [1795241]
Mystic ran that and it was good but just like every other competition that runs in this place it went to shit pretty quickly
Mujera [1420465]
I think a Sig of the Week Comp would be awesome. You rarely see artists in here asking for CnC and trying to improve anymore. Maybe something like this would help inspire new artists to want to cultivate their craft

This forum has struggled for a while but its obviously not going away because people want art and people are looking for an alternate way to make money in torn. 

I'd like to believe that not all gfx sellers want to just slap text on a image and sell it,  they just are not sure how to get better.

And while I wouldn't really qualify for a judge and I'm surely no artist I would be willing to donate prizes
cl3ric0l [569400]
thanks for the offer , but i was intending on trying to keep the"prize" minimal , after all this was just an idea to try get something a lil fun going while learning at the same time.
JustJanet [911066]
Is the contest going to be open to anyone interested? I like playing with sigs. but I don’t want to be obligated to do anything if uninspired. So if it’s a check in and check out the box type deal, I’d be interested. 

Also, I feel like Mujera would be a terrific judge. She always has beautiful signatures. Having a discerning eye for what is pleasant makes her a terrific judge in my book. 
cl3ric0l [569400]
yes of course it would be open to all....thats the idea of this thread to gauge interest and get feedback and answer questions.......and i agree mujera would make a great judge i wasnt dismissing that, just the part where she offered towards prizes lol
JustJanet [911066]
She is the one who said she didn’t qualify as a judge. I assumed you knew she would be a great judge. I just wanted her to know why I thought she was qualified.
Mujera [1420465]
I would love to be a judge if I am honest, and I agree about the prizes as you really want people to participate for the art and the desire to improve 
Nausta [2256460]
If you do start this up, i can donate for prizes.... (only if i get bonus points when judged... loljk)

just spitballing some ideas

Can i also suggest a Community chosen winner? F.e judges pick the best idk 5? And then number em off, put them in a poll. I think it’d be kind of cool to know how many lurkers are on the thread and are willing to actively participate.

Also i think the only way to ensure it stays alive is to find a way to account for skill disparities. Obviously no need to have to account for it in the beginning since we’ve got no idea what the skill gap is(we can only assume.)
cl3ric0l [569400]
yes id already accounted for the possibility of people of higher standards entering and would have placed them in a different section.
the community winner is also an idea i thought about but am dubious about for several reasons.
A/ there would be no way of stopping entrants from getting their friends/faction members to vote for them.
B/ judging by the amount of ppl that post in threads saying "excellent work".."thats awesome" ...."great designer" on work that is quite obviously 5 seconds work is worrying and im not sure having people with that kind of artistic knowlege would benefit the purpose of the competition.
Nausta [2256460]
yeahh, I was thinking where would be a smaller prize or the winner just gets their stuff displayed. I understand how it might damage the integrity of the competition, but I was thinking it was important so we can also get an idea of what the general community likes. The stuff that is 'popular.'

Most popular movies aren't the ones getting the awards, but nonetheless understanding the culture might be important as well? Nonetheless, it might be better to have a pure skill/creativity based thread so I agree with you there.
strikes [2244663]
I'll put in an entry if you do. Instead of bitching about everything I would actually like to get things done. Thanks for the idea Cl3ricol. As always, doing your part.
Foresight [2268319]
I would be interested in this, if only because having a specific target to work to from a pre-selected material would be a lot of fun!