I want to make a spreadsheet for stocks, and I need it to isolate the current price per share for the stocks. I know https://api.torn.com/torn/?selections=stocks&key=YOURKEY will display all info, but I want to isolate each individual price for each stock.
Stocks Spreadsheet
Started by Nobody [237547] on in API Development.
About this thread
Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 7
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 6
- Likes on archived posts
- 4
- Authority score
- 52 / 100
- Historical score
- 25 / 100
- Story score
- 32 / 100
- Engagement score
- 55 / 100
each stock has its own ID
"1": { "name": "Torn City and Shanghai Banking Corporation",
"2": { "name": "Torn City Investment Banking",
and so on, i dont know the whole list
if you add the ID 2 to the API call https://api.torn.com/torn/2?selections=stocks&key=YOURKEY
will return
"2": {
"name": "Torn City Investment Banking",
"acronym": "TCB",
"director": "Mr. Paul Davies",
"current_price": "509.871",
"market_cap": 5094858501259,
"total_shares": 9992446131,
"available_shares": 810001573,
"forecast": "Average",
"demand": "Low",
"benefit": {
"requirement": 1500000,
"description": "Entitled to receive improved interest rates"
}
just collect info you need here
"1": { "name": "Torn City and Shanghai Banking Corporation",
"2": { "name": "Torn City Investment Banking",
and so on, i dont know the whole list
if you add the ID 2 to the API call https://api.torn.com/torn/2?selections=stocks&key=YOURKEY
will return
"2": {
"name": "Torn City Investment Banking",
"acronym": "TCB",
"director": "Mr. Paul Davies",
"current_price": "509.871",
"market_cap": 5094858501259,
"total_shares": 9992446131,
"available_shares": 810001573,
"forecast": "Average",
"demand": "Low",
"benefit": {
"requirement": 1500000,
"description": "Entitled to receive improved interest rates"
}
just collect info you need here
Thanks, I don't suppose you know how to isolate the stock price as well? Guessing "knowing how to collect the info I need" is a requirement?
Depending on what you're using, but when I was making my application, I just ran it trough a few "remove" methods and then I used a split method on the character "\" " and I got a very nice spread of each heading... If you want more info pm me and I can show you what I did.
I think it depends on which language you select. Here's an example in python 3.6
#!/usr/bin/env python
import argparse
import requests
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(
description = 'Create a csv file of stocks symbol, forecast and current price'
)
parser.add_argument('api_key', help='The api key to use')
parser.add_argument('csv_file', help='The file to create with the csv contents')
args = parser.parse_args()
response = requests.get('https://api.torn.com/torn/?selections=stocks&key=' + args.api_key)
stocks = response.json()['stocks']
with open(args.csv_file, 'w') as f:
f.write('{},{},{}n'.format("symbol","forecast","current price"))
for stock in stocks.values():
f.write('{},{},{}n'.format(stock['acronym'],stock['forecast'],stock['current_price']))
# edit -> fixed erroneous description about api key
#!/usr/bin/env python
import argparse
import requests
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(
description = 'Create a csv file of stocks symbol, forecast and current price'
)
parser.add_argument('api_key', help='The api key to use')
parser.add_argument('csv_file', help='The file to create with the csv contents')
args = parser.parse_args()
response = requests.get('https://api.torn.com/torn/?selections=stocks&key=' + args.api_key)
stocks = response.json()['stocks']
with open(args.csv_file, 'w') as f:
f.write('{},{},{}n'.format("symbol","forecast","current price"))
for stock in stocks.values():
f.write('{},{},{}n'.format(stock['acronym'],stock['forecast'],stock['current_price']))
# edit -> fixed erroneous description about api key
about the same for me
https://api.torn.com/torn/?selections=stocks&key=YOURKEY will give you the current stock prices and most of the data you need
I suggest also using
https://api.torn.com/user/?selections=stocks&key=YOURKEY will give you information about your currently owned stocks
I suggest looking going to https://www.torn.com/api.html# to see what kind of data you are able to pull out of Torn with an API Key.
Google will give users a pop up the first time saying that Torn is not a trusted site and they must click to approve/allow access if you use Google Sheets, at least it did for me.
I was looking for the same thing this morning and ended up creating a spreadsheet. I am planning to update it and make it more user friendly in the future. You can/should be able to view the code after you create a copy for help creating your own spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pxVvyzvWmklsPI6RHH8BE2sYfAs1RtMwl5YXXaH29kc/edit?usp=sharing
I suggest also using
https://api.torn.com/user/?selections=stocks&key=YOURKEY will give you information about your currently owned stocks
I suggest looking going to https://www.torn.com/api.html# to see what kind of data you are able to pull out of Torn with an API Key.
Google will give users a pop up the first time saying that Torn is not a trusted site and they must click to approve/allow access if you use Google Sheets, at least it did for me.
I was looking for the same thing this morning and ended up creating a spreadsheet. I am planning to update it and make it more user friendly in the future. You can/should be able to view the code after you create a copy for help creating your own spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pxVvyzvWmklsPI6RHH8BE2sYfAs1RtMwl5YXXaH29kc/edit?usp=sharing