114 replies · 1.28k views · thread synced · 10 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:115 / 115 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
115
Discussion span
→
Authority score
61 / 100
Historical score
47 / 100
Story score
74 / 100
Engagement score
80 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
manic[1554958] · 24 likes · What's the point? What are you missing? Same could be the said about turning up at the same job for 40 years for a shitty pay cheque. Or seeing the same woman everyday for 30 years. Or the same queue …
JoeSkull[533524]
· 18 likes · Torn is about finding your own goal in game. Want to have high stats? Train. Want to become wealthy? Make it happen. Want to reach level 100? Go for it. Like war? Join a faction. There's shit to do. You …
WiseTheRumGone[2078276]
· 17 likes · the devs havent done anything for crimes since 2005. crime update is about 7 years behind schedule so far and with no hint as to when its coming out.
Hey I’m mot here to smack talk what is actually quite a good game but I really fail to see the point of Torn right now... Am I missing something? Is there more to the game than just repeating the same task thousands of times? Is this more than just a timesink? What visible motivation actually is there for me to continue this?
I’m no stranger to text based rpg’s, I have near a year actual play time on KoL and there’s just more diversity of task and mission. Hell I even played Magistream for a while and that revolves around solely forum posts. Kind of feel like the team here needs to flesh this out a bit.
As I say I could just be missing something but so far it just seems like the progression being tied to pay mechanics makes this a bit of a cash cow.
I really want to like this game and the core *is* good but I feel like it’s just a skeleton of something greater...
General discussion all replies welcome. I need to know what I’m missing.
Torn is about finding your own goal in game. Want to have high stats? Train. Want to become wealthy? Make it happen. Want to reach level 100? Go for it. Like war? Join a faction.
There's shit to do. You gotta figure out what it is you want to do.
So it’s just not in development any more? Are there any dev statements to say they’re working on it?
I just don’t see how this game is even worth the time investment it so clearly wants... Rough calculations if I stay at the bottom rung job collecting points it would take me just over four years of daily logins to reach the top of the company...
its in development, the devs are just absurdly slow.
manic[1554958] · #7
What's the point? What are you missing?
Same could be the said about turning up at the same job for 40 years for a shitty pay cheque. Or seeing the same woman everyday for 30 years. Or the same queue of traffic every morning... Or the same Monday...
It’s my third day and I still can’t see a point other than crime that isn’t rewarding, faction battles that are as exciting as watching a duck drown and the rather lack lustre responses of what I assume to be an outdated rng dictating the outcomes of every action.
Telling someone to just invest more time doesn’t make that outcome likely it just makes it sound like you’ve missed the question. As I asked, if I’m missing something I’d like to to tell me not just be an indignant scum f**k lording your time played and probable actual cash invested.
as you level up more stuff opens up. Travel, which brings drug, plushie, and flower trafficing, race tracks, etc. while you might see things locked behind a paywall.. it's not. buying a donator pack will give you a boost sure, but it ain't essential, and after you're 100 or so days in you'll be able to save 30mil to buy them each month with torncash.
Events happen throughout the year, we just had elimination, during which a bunch of top players had a temper-tantrum and bombed the entire city, hospitalising thousands of innocent players for days. Chrismas town will be out soon enough and i swear there is some halloween themed event which should start soon too.
good banter happens in the forums, Sugarvalves makes some entertaining reads in the newspaper (speaking of, you could also check the newspaper to try be a bounty hunter once you train up your stats a bit). You can transition from NPC jobs to player owned companies for a variety of unique perks.
You can gamble away all your profits at the casino, or just play the wheel of fortune games which actually have a positive pay ratio (players win more than lose on average).
Trade stocks. Snipe the auction house. Educate yo' self. Buy mug other players and feast on their tears. Join a faction, fight territory wars, join massive kill chains. Be a medic. devote ur torn time to reviving peeps and get paid bank to do it. Join in with community events whinge on the forums about how shit the game is and how you're going to quit, but then never actually quit. (a popular tactic of many of our old gold players, so hey, you're halfway there!).
You’re right this isn’t for me it’s way too long winded with a “find your own reward” system that imo (i know others differ) sucks a massive fat donkey. As for something that has obviously spent more than ten years in development to look, feel and work like this with a dev team that has “been working on crime” for seven years I’m outtie.
How do I contact the team to have my account deleted?
Hello Nicky, welcome to Torn. Torn is a game of many directions and is largely what you make of it - so far you've explored but a fraction of the game itself, begin with your tutorial missions from George and have a look in the guides section of the forums too, there are plenty of actually helpful people around who give a lot of ideas of what to do as a newbie.
Advance your stats and perhaps look at joining a faction of your peers (check out the new player chat and forums), working as a team and creating a goal to defeat others and earn achievements there can be a good way to learn and progress - Torn is very much a social game, but one you can play at your own pace, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Torn is a long term game that has been running for many years, one you can come back and forward to at your own pace, and it is still continuously being developed.
you can earn extra job stats through education courses and from your employer giving you additional training. if job stat growth is important to you, you can buy those trains away from your other company-mates.
But yes, this game is long. you're not going to be the best your first year of playing. And unless you're Hildegarde, you're not even going to be close to a decent player for a long while after that. (Hilde is 2 and a bit years old and is the 12th strongest player in the game. not to shabby in a game of infinite stat gains that has been going on for a decade or two).
manic[1554958] · #19 · edited
And herein lies the problem.
If you adopt the 'Youtube' approach of 'insta-gratification' that you HAVE TO will attain a result within 5 seconds then perhaps it IS best if you log off.
So yeah, stick with shooting some zombie who reflects the current generation of prescription drugged kid because they we can't control their behaviour or scoring some goal with a Ronaldo download you spent £2,000 on getting whilst shouting at your phone because your anger manager has been calling you for the past hour...