Anybody ever make the transition from eating meat and meat products to going vegan? I'm considering going plant based.
Going Vegan
Started by Dondada [2048116] on in General Non-related.
About this thread
Posts archived: 39 / 39 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 39
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 21 / 100
- Historical score
- 24 / 100
- Story score
- 50 / 100
- Engagement score
- 68 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- Phil-I-P [2035498]
· 11 likes ·
I'm half vegan. I still eat meat and stuff, but I've become smug as f**k. - Flugkatze [1718691]
· 1 likes ·
So eggs don't involve harming animals, alright. To have enough chicken to lay eggs, they need also a lot of new chicks. Usually the chance to get a chicken is 50/50. The roosters aren't allowed to live. They are usually …
If that is what you want, go for it...
Not for me though...
Not for me though...
I'm half vegan. I still eat meat and stuff, but I've become smug as f**k.
I was Vegan once but I started craving steak.
I felt really healthy and strong, but decided if I craved it, I needed it.
I felt really healthy and strong, but decided if I craved it, I needed it.
Hipster.
Broccoli, black beans, quinoa, tofu, raw mixed nuts are going to be your main "proteins".
You may check out some Morning Star Brand frozen meat like products sourced from vegetables: sausages, patties, chik'n, etc.
Amy's brand has some good vegan option frozen food too.
Brown rice and quinoa made in a rice cooker together with fresh garlic is fire too. Good base for a meal.
Sweet potatoes are packed full of nutrients and quite filling.
Mushrooms (esp portabello) make a great sub for hamburger patty or taco meat. Season accordingly.
You may check out some Morning Star Brand frozen meat like products sourced from vegetables: sausages, patties, chik'n, etc.
Amy's brand has some good vegan option frozen food too.
Brown rice and quinoa made in a rice cooker together with fresh garlic is fire too. Good base for a meal.
Sweet potatoes are packed full of nutrients and quite filling.
Mushrooms (esp portabello) make a great sub for hamburger patty or taco meat. Season accordingly.
I'd do it for the superpowers.
Yep.
Yep.
No, and I find the idea apprehensive.
that sounds a bit extreme.
My main problem is the cheese... I can go on just fine for a long time without any meat... But the cheese... I need my cheese.
I'm quite peculiar already in the meats i eat, basically just some cuts of beef and chicken breasts, most of the rest i have issues with, same way i don't eat any type of fish or any water source related animal for that matter. (Asperger's stuff)
But i do have a weird fixation with cheese, so going vegan never even crossed my mind. at the very most i would go into a Lacto-ovo vegetarianism, more than that, not really.
I'm quite peculiar already in the meats i eat, basically just some cuts of beef and chicken breasts, most of the rest i have issues with, same way i don't eat any type of fish or any water source related animal for that matter. (Asperger's stuff)
But i do have a weird fixation with cheese, so going vegan never even crossed my mind. at the very most i would go into a Lacto-ovo vegetarianism, more than that, not really.
It's called being down to earth.
Don't forget vitimin b supplements!
Mayo Clinic on B12
NIH on B12
How Supplemental B12 is made, another NIH article
Intrinsic Factor
If you go Vegan, educate yourself properly. B12 is either in animal based foods, or needs to be fortified with a supplement.
NIH on B12
How Supplemental B12 is made, another NIH article
Intrinsic Factor
If you go Vegan, educate yourself properly. B12 is either in animal based foods, or needs to be fortified with a supplement.
I've been spouting about B12 for years. Not because I want people to think I'm superior, but because I want the people using this diet to do it properly. People often think the former and just think I'm being a ****.
Before going into this seriously do a ton of research first and properly prepare. I knew someone that went vegan for a year but now they're into keto.
- First thing was having to read A Lot of labels. Everything.. It's overwhelming at first but you learn how to skim fast soon enough.
- Then they used chia seeds and of course mentioned before B12 to help supplement minerals and vitamins.
- Calcium Carbonate I think if found in the ingredients list but it won't tell you if it's made from egg, marine, snail shells, or such.
- Also there's making sure you get enough calories. You may have to fry most of your food in oil or coconut oil.
I agree with the above. I tried to make it as easy as possible for myself by using sanitarium products. The company is owned by 7 th day Adventist’s who try to eat a vegan diet.
So cornflakes and soy milk are fine.
They also have some delicious savoury lentils in a can.
some breads are vegan. Swap to a vegan margarine.
if you cook with tofu, add a lot of sauce as it soaks up flavour. I satayed it with peanut butter and chilli sauce.
It’s not so hard when you get the hang of it.
makes me want to try it again
So cornflakes and soy milk are fine.
They also have some delicious savoury lentils in a can.
some breads are vegan. Swap to a vegan margarine.
if you cook with tofu, add a lot of sauce as it soaks up flavour. I satayed it with peanut butter and chilli sauce.
It’s not so hard when you get the hang of it.
makes me want to try it again
Hm... Vegan? No. But, a vegetarian, yes. I haven't used milk products tho(lactose intolerance), but kept eggs into the diary. After all, the cow milk isn't for humans. Nowadays the only meat I'd eat is chicken, occasionally and must has a halal certificate. The main issue here is finding ingredients if you're vegetarian, or vegan. You can get plants of course, but you can't eat plain dish. After all, I live in a country where people don't know how to eat if there's no meat.
You wanting to go vegan is nice, and you have my support.
Another issue we have, and I'd say vegetarians/vegans forget is, tests done on animals. Pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies use dogs for tests. Usually their choice is a Beagle since it's a domicile dog. That's also animal cruelty just like stuffing animals for ours plates.
You wanting to go vegan is nice, and you have my support.
Another issue we have, and I'd say vegetarians/vegans forget is, tests done on animals. Pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies use dogs for tests. Usually their choice is a Beagle since it's a domicile dog. That's also animal cruelty just like stuffing animals for ours plates.
As a non-vegan, I just want to ask out of curiosity. Why don't you like to eat certain foods if it doesn't involve harming the animal at all, like eggs or honey?
I wonder too about that, why vegans avoid eggs and honey. My assumption is they consider it killing, or stealing from a mother, for those who are highly sympathetic to the suffering of animals, and then for those who're not it's just an animal product. And vegans do not eat anything that's by animals. Now, I don't understand about the honey really. I understand about the milk, but not honey. Eggs are actually nutritional.
I'd say buying from trusted people is the best way to know animal hasn't suffered, and had a good life. After all, chickens after growing up will die, and won't be eat able. So, I prefer buying halal to be sure it didn't suffer.
Then, some people just want to be vegan 'cus it' s healthy, it could be great for one person, and bad for another. The best is to consult with a doctor about the diet.
Now, it depends what does he/she wants to achive, and the reason why.
It's just surprising shocking, how many people ignore the fact about the labs doing tests on animals, even those ones that produce cat/dog food. Even more schocking is how those vegetarians/vegans claiming they don't wanna kill an innocent animal forget labs doing tests on animals. I'd rather support eating an animal, than tests done on them.
I'd say buying from trusted people is the best way to know animal hasn't suffered, and had a good life. After all, chickens after growing up will die, and won't be eat able. So, I prefer buying halal to be sure it didn't suffer.
Then, some people just want to be vegan 'cus it' s healthy, it could be great for one person, and bad for another. The best is to consult with a doctor about the diet.
Now, it depends what does he/she wants to achive, and the reason why.
It's just surprising shocking, how many people ignore the fact about the labs doing tests on animals, even those ones that produce cat/dog food. Even more schocking is how those vegetarians/vegans claiming they don't wanna kill an innocent animal forget labs doing tests on animals. I'd rather support eating an animal, than tests done on them.
vegans use cruelty free products. They came about because of animal activists who didn’t want to harm animals. Many products are marked to show they haven’t been tested on animals in a lab.
They avoid leather shoes because it came from an animal.
But not all vegans are the same. Some take it to more extremes than others
They avoid leather shoes because it came from an animal.
But not all vegans are the same. Some take it to more extremes than others