Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

API Disabled - Still tracking?

Started by EyeDeeZeeNak [1586365] on in Bugs & Issues.

5 replies · 75 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
34 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
EyeDeeZeeNak [1586365]
Noticed the API was disabled when I woke up this morning and found a thread from 12am TCT with a response from Stewie that the devs disabled it due to high traffic.

I was just curious if the API is still tracking everything as normal or if it being disabled means it's offline entirely. I'm only asking because my faction is currently doing work and we use the API for event logging and we need to know if the data from the last 12 hours is reliable with the API being inaccessible.

Cheers,
Idzy
Stewie [1494547]
Looks to be back up now, I can see Events from during the time the API was disabled — should be fine!

That's not to say it won't go back down again though, but hopefully it won't.
DarkwingDuck [1886235]
Seeming okay is one thing but I have revivers complaining they do not have accurate logs on our api tracker. This is our 52nd contract. Never before had trouble pulling logs until now. So I just have to eat the pay that's owed to these guys or should I call them liars because the faction api got shut off?
EyeDeeZeeNak [1586365]
This is exactly the reason I've been running around all day trying to make sure we keep manual logs of our work because there wasn't even an official statement put out about the API being down.

I can understand shutting off requests to alleviate server traffic, but at the very least it would be nice to have some reassurance from the devs that while we can't see it, the API is still logging everything.
tubedogg [2310739]
but at the very least it would be nice to have some reassurance from the devs that while we can't see it, the API is still logging everything.

The API is a programmatic interface (literally Application Programming Interface) into data that is stored inside Torn's database(s). Unless the Torn devs took a radically different (read: wrong) approach and keep two separate databases, one for the website and one for the API--which wouldn't make any sense since it would be duplicating data all over the place amongst other problems--all the data is inside Torn's database and has nothing to do with the API being shut off. The only thing that the API being down should affect is the ability to use the API to pull data externally.

The official confirmation of it being down is it returning error code 9, API is disabled.