Hi. So I am a completely blind player of this game using a screen reader. I can do most things, but some aspects of racing are lost to me, foremost at this point is a greater understanding of the tracks. As they are a graphic, I get no feedback on their shape, or even what surface(s) they are. If some kind soul could write up a quick guide with track descriptions it would greatly help players such as myself.
Nothing too complex, something like "long track with many corners and short straights. 80% dirt with the rest Tarmac".
From the race records I can gauge what cars are best on certain tracks, but it might be nice in the track notes to list best gear and suspension choices for that type. Otherwise at least a description and surface report will allow for an informed choice. Thanks.
I want to say that in one of the racing guides/FAQs, someone has already done this. Let me see what I can find. I think Baldr's guide has the info you need.
Try RD's guide. It has some setup / upgrade combinations you would be interested in. Just scroll a bit down to the pictures of the tracks with the fastest car and the used setups. It basically has what you asked, listed per track, car and more.
RD's racing guide 2.0
Mentions:
RD_'s Racing Guide "2.0"
It is a good guide, but it still relies on pictures of the tracks, rather than descriptions. I will write the descriptions here when I have time, if someone else hasn't already done so.
Okay, here are the descriptions:
Uptown - a tarmac oblong, slightly pointy on the right hand end. Fairly easy corners.
Withdrawal - a large tarmac loop crossing two bridges to include the island. Easy corners and long straights.
Underdog - a tarmac track with a blocky shape, including eight near 90 degree corners.
Parkland - second longest track, including a dirt section with eight hairpin bends known as "the corkscrew". Plus seven sharp corners on the tarmac section.
Docks - the longest track, all tarmac. A bit like a square crescent with two long arms. Has some long straights, but includes seven corners about 90 degrees.
Commerce - tarmac, shaped a bit like a club. Five sharp corners and one easy curve.
Two islands - a squiggly track involving the mainland and two small islands. Dirt section on one of the islands. Course squeezes together twice to recross the bridges. Very curvy.
Industrial - tarmac track goes back and forth a lot at the top right. 14 sharp corners including three sharper than 90 degrees.
Vector - tarmac with straight line up the left side and nine sharp corners through the rest.
Mudpit - all dirt, and all curvy. Short.
Hammerhead - strange squiggly hammer shape. Part dirt, all the corners are curved.
Sewage - all tarmac, three "wings" with a mix of sharp and curved corners.
Meltdown - all tarmac with a mix of sharp and curved corners. The track goes around two power station cooling towers, and we can't see our cars behind the towers.
Speedway - all tarmac, the classic oval track. The shortest track.
Stone Park - part dirt and wiggly. Corners are all curved.
Convict - tarmac square. The left side is slightly curved out. Four sharp corners.
Apart from the Mudpit, all dirt sections are a single and relatively short part of each track.
Any rally drivers out here?
Would be nice if it can be broken down further. Like list the the type of curve, straigh with distance and difficulty/ speed expectation. Then link that to specific stats required and thus eventual best suited car and upgrades.
Like sharp turns resulting in SR, track with short straights a T3 engine. Long tracks or lots of laps a T3 engine.. which amount of dirt validates a hard/normal/soft suspension.
Just estimating it wouldnt be too hard to compile a list. But getting actual numbers to back it up will probably take an eternity. Especially if there really exists some sort of hidden car/upgrades exp bar besides just the driving skill.
Ok cool, glad we all.came to the same conclusion...
Everyone pick a couple tracks to describe. The niche-ness of the Torn Racing Community dictates that we are tight-knit enough to make this happen.
Surely we can accommodate a blind woman who cares enough about racing to want to pick something other than a/an, Civic for all class E races, MR2 for all class D, Z06 for C, etc., etc...
I would have no problem assisting - I could write a script for Black-Wydow that could add a track description on the racing page, where the track shows up. In other words, with the script installed, no need to go to a different place - the guide, or here - in order to get the description. It would all be in the same place. I have never tried to use a screen reader but I know I have seen that option somewhere, I'd need to figure out how to enable that for testing purposes if anyone knows offhand where that can be enabled please let me know.
I'd take descriptions provided from here or can make my own. It'll take me a bit just due to to my available time but is not difficult, I have written maybe 20-30 scripts and extensions for Torn (I have a github page for them), I am a professional software developer by profession, with over 24 years experience.
I'll subscribe to this and keep my eyes open for any descriptions that pop up.
Good luck Black-Wydow, feel free to PM me at any time if you don't see any progress being made, I don't mind being pestered to do things I've said I would do - I have a tendency to procrastinate sometimes! And when I have one that is in a good testable state, I will post here the location and notify you directly as well.
Sadness that some just said try this guide and well done to those that actually helped
I forgot about this - weren't you guys supposed to remind me, especially now that I have lots of free time on my hands?
*nudge*