Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Acceptable script use

Started by Rescender [2526540] on in Tools & Userscripts.

5 replies · 155 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
1
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
25 / 100
Engagement score
47 / 100
Rescender [2526540]
I'm new to TORN, and have tried to read up on all the threads of what constitutes a legal user script. I think I understand for the most part but I just want to comment on a part of the pinned thread of the rules.
...only if it uses data from our API or a page you (or your users) have loaded manually and are currently viewing.

So as long as I am using the API to get data, it's ok for me to get data that would normally display on another page (item market for example) , and display it on any other page? I already developed a script that will monitor the market and will allow me from any other page to see what the current price of an item is. As long as the script does not automate performing actions on my behalf, it should be ok, correct? The "or" in the rules just made me feel uneasy. It makes it sound like I can get any data I want as long as it's from the API and do anything with it.

Thanks
Lugburz [2386297]
That's correct, you can call the API and use the data that it returns from any page in Torn and even outside of Torn.

With respect to your case, though, you need to remember that the API has a delay - it may very well happen that by the time you go to the market, the item with the price that your script has reported to you is long gone.
Rescender [2526540]
Yes, I did realize there was a delay with the API, which is why they don't allow you scraping the pages for more up to date info. So it does kind of nullify what I was trying to do with the points market actually since it's so fluid and changes almost by the second.

This is what I was working on. It would monitor the points market for me. But I do find it is too delayed to gain any benefit from it. I dunno.

[image: i.imgur.com]
Lugburz [2386297]
The UI looks very nice!

But yeah, the delay basically renders the API useless if you hope to gain an immediate profit out of it.
Rescender [2526540]
Well, not sure if I was on the points page it would be worth it since the existing view is good enough in my opinion, but maybe to just show Market value %. This was mostly to have a view of the points market from anywhere else, then clicking on the link would take you to the points market. Not that useful otherwise. I'm a geek for data though so this was fun just putting it together.