Anybody else find it funny that Torn observes a time from Greenwich as its own even though they are geographically several timezones apart? If this is mentioned in the chronicles, I haven't read through them all yet.
TCT
Started by Typykal [2199411] on in Questions & Answers.
About this thread
Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 10
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 7
- Likes on archived posts
- 3
- Posts by staff, officers and moderators
- 3
- Authority score
- 66 / 100
- Historical score
- 27 / 100
- Story score
- 30 / 100
- Engagement score
- 54 / 100
Most-liked replies
- Jack-o [133039] Admin
· 1 likes ·
Agreed! Using UTC is an absolute godsend when you’re talking in terms of multi layer infrastructure, applications servers talking and writing to databases. As I say, it’s the norm really for anyone in the UK and Ireland to see applications, …
Torn uses UTC time as the base time for the game, probably originally because Chedburn is from England, and most applications that are developed over here use UTC as the closest, and most static timezone. It helps to remove any headaches that Daylight Savings Time causes.
I've always just seen that as the norm, but that's probably again because i'm from over this side of the pond and have grown up with UTC (GMT 0) being the go-to time.
I've always just seen that as the norm, but that's probably again because i'm from over this side of the pond and have grown up with UTC (GMT 0) being the go-to time.
While I do not believe it has been given any other answer in game other than Chedburn is in England. There was a discussion back in this post that was a beauty https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=3&t=16162907&b=0&a=0.
Mentions: where are we?
Yes, Daylight Savings Time is a headache!
Agreed! Using UTC is an absolute godsend when you’re talking in terms of multi layer infrastructure, applications servers talking and writing to databases.
As I say, it’s the norm really for anyone in the UK and Ireland to see applications, especially web based, as running on UTC. We are probably just blind to it all now as we’ve grown up with it.
As I say, it’s the norm really for anyone in the UK and Ireland to see applications, especially web based, as running on UTC. We are probably just blind to it all now as we’ve grown up with it.
It's nice TCT matching my local time but I often forget Torn doesn't apply daylight savings etc..!
Ched is from England? I thought he was slavic
Yep England. A lot of the developers he hires are from the Ukraine.
From quite ol' Blighty, where the grass is green and the sun is never seen!
I was hoping the answer would be more along the lines of Torn symbolically distancing itself from the U.S. by not acknowledging its timezones. Maybe in Chronicles 2.0?