Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Random Log Outs Without Caching

Started by decadria [1975338] on in Bugs & Issues.

6 replies · 80 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
6
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
4
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
36 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
49 / 100

Most-liked replies

decadria [1975338]
Please pardon me, I am hot with frustration.

Moments ago I sent a Newsletter to my faction which I had spent probably more than an hour working on, and I received the following screen:
[image: i.imgur.com]


My message wasn't even available for me to attempt to save upon getting the error.

I navigated to another tab to login and came back to refresh the page in hopes the caching (which I know exists for newsletters / mails / company letters etc) had preserved at least the body of the message. Nope. Absolutely Nothing.





This is intensely frustrating for a number of obvious reasons, BUT the biggest reason this bothers me is that yesterday, I spent a significant amount of time manually pricing hundreds of millions worth of items for my bazaar only to earn a 503 on the second to last item, thus losing everything I had adjusted.



Yes, as user precaution, I can prepare newsletters exclusively in a separate program before transferring to Torn - I should not have to do this as a user; it's a simple function that should not fail in such a manner.

Yes, as user precaution, I can go ahead and click 'Update' or whatever the button is to add something to your bazaar every couple items instead of updating all the items I want to add OR use a fancy script to tell me what I should price it at instead of checking it myself - I should not have to do this as a user; I should not live in certain fear that the system is going to pull the rug from under my feet if I take too long walking through the room.


AAAARGGGHHHHHH TT-TT


There's probably not a damn thing that can be done about this, but it is definitely an Issue.


Thanks for reading.

Love,
deca <3
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
I will test out the caching of newsletter when I land in torn. I remember it caching the newsies in the past, not certain if anything has changed.

As for Error 503, the only reason Error 503 occurs if you are switching networks (between WiFi/mobile network), or if your router had a hiccup and decided to change the IP address, none of these are related to Torn itself. These errors occur in response to network changes on your end, we have this enabled for DDoS protection for Torn's sake.
decadria [1975338]
In the second half of the response you basically said the 503s are entirely on my end and then said Torn "[has] this enabled for DDoS protection for Torn's sake.".

There is something fundamentally wrong with the triggering of of this "protection" because I experience it constantly on my phone, my laptop, and my desktop(direct connection, not wireless) - two of which are used on various networks, all of which I limit to one network at a time. I have no further control of the situation. I can't tell my machines "dont' lose connection for even a moment!" or a service provider "don't do anything weird with the IP(???)".

Perhaps there are parameters which could be adjusted or additional periodic caching which could be added to input heavy pages. I understand the importance of safety, but the constant struggle is with Torn, and everyone experiences it. Maybe players with advanced knowledge of technology can avoid these insane inconveniences, but I seem to be in the group that relies on devs and techs to be the ones to make things work.
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
Apologies for the delay on getting back to this. I have tested out the newsletter caching for both Faction and Companies.

It appears if you have written the newsletters in either cases, it caches them as long as you don't click Send. Clicking Send flushes them out of the cache.
If your system has logged you out while you were writing the newsie, it gives the endless dots in case of Company newsletter:

[image: i.imgur.com]

For faction newsletter it gives the error that OP has highlighted in the main post:

[image: i.imgur.com]

In both cases, the newsletter contents are cached only till the send button is clicked. Once you click Send, the cache is flushed without checking if the newsletter was sent or not sent due to error. I believe this needs to be addressed and the content should be cached until the newsletter is sent out or until the user manually clears out the content.

I believe Serhii can take a look at this. Thanks..!!
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
Cloudflare protection is absolutely necessary at this point I am afraid. We are constantly on the lookout for alternatives, but at this point I am afraid it has to remain the way it is. A network change on your end will result in Error 503 and a Cloudflare check.
decadria [1975338]
Thanks for the follow up CJ.

In the case of the logout issue, I'm wondering if there's a way to have this error appear in a less invasive manner prior to loads? Instead of getting it after clicking something, periodic checks like the hospital/jail check could run and push the message to the top of the page? Possibly a suggestion out of our area, but if this is affecting newsletters this way, I doubt it's the only area in all of Torn with the particular issue.

Thinking aloud I suppose ^.^"

Thanks again!

Love,
deca <3