Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Fan speed control

Started by TheCyberpunk [1850382] on in Technology.

13 replies · 104 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
6
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
54 / 100

Most-liked replies

TheCyberpunk [1850382]
So, I bought this really big fan because it's really hot in my apartment and my small fan isn't moving enough air. I'm satisfied with the purchase and felt I got my moneys worth as this thing is powerful and is built like a tank, but I feel like it's a bit too powerful. It moves up to 7700 cubic feet of air per second. On the lowest setting, it's around 6800. I wanna go slower than that and am looking into fan controllers. I heard on reddit that I could possibly start a fire or wreck the fan if I do something like that. I would like some advice on this manner.

Thanks!
Xeretrax [2039020]
Why would you buy a fan to begin with?
Fans only move air.
You take warm air from A and move it to B, but both A and B will be remain warm.
Industrial or not, it doesnt actually cool anything. Let alone high or lower power. Changes nothing.
The only chance a fan ever has of cooling anything is if it takes in much colder air at A and pushes that to B.

You need an actual air cooler or something else. Ditch the junk expensive paperweight fan.
Xeretrax [2039020]
Well yeah, that the only good thing about a fan. But that's all it does ... manipulates your senses basically. It does not actually cool the room.
DOGSPM [1910706]
I'm with Xeretrax on this one.

But to answer your question...

The fan speed is controlled by the amount of electricity going into the motor(volts I think, might be watts). Lower the amount and the fan will go slower. This will probably also damage the motor and might cause a fire because the motor wasn't designed to go slow.

Basically, you screwed yourself. Get a fan that's designed at the speed you want, or risk a fire.

Also, if you do cause a fire, don't count on insurance. By modifying the fan, it's your fault and not an accident, so insurance probably won't cover it.
AirQuotes [2302761]
You haven't mentioned a solution yet.

The short answer is, it's complicated and you probably shouldn't do it.

Some motors aren't meant to be adjustable speed. There is a possibility that the air it moves, is cooling the fan motor. At low speed, motor cooling might be adversely affected. (possibly causing a fire)

If you do it, there are different kinds of controllers for different kinds of motors.

There is a small possibility that the motor is wired for a couple of lower speed settings and you could add an appropriate switch to the circuit. Maybe the manufacturer bought an off the shelf motor and didn't include the switch in an effort to cut costs.

Don't use a regular dimmer switch meant for lights or other things. Your fan controller must be rated for the type of motor you've got. If you use a switch that isn't rated for your "big industrial fan" then you could have a fire in the switch. Even a fan controller might be meant for smaller fans like a bathroom vent.

To find the answer, you'd need to know exactly what the model number of that motor is, and understand how it is wired. You might be able to safely do it, but Torn isn't the right place to be asking. Find an electric motor forum or electrician's forum or something like that. If you don't get a very certain answer, and if you don't have high confidence in your ability to make the change, then just don't do it. Your apartment will be even hotter if it's on fire.