NOT A FAN...
Torn app update for android
Started by GG-Extreme [2445085] on in General Discussion.
About this thread
Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 21
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 59 / 100
- Historical score
- 33 / 100
- Story score
- 54 / 100
- Engagement score
- 63 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- bogie [148747] Admin
· 2 likes ·
What parts are you unhappy with please?
OK
What parts are you unhappy with please?
Main bit that annoyed me is there being a tab limit (5) cos I'd go to open a link and then boom cant actually open it cos I'm at the limit and it doesnt overwrite the oldest tab :(
This comment went unnoticed so here's me quoting it so it gets noticed.
Probably the whole thing.
The app is terrible. :,D I Uninstalled after an hour.
The app is terrible. :,D I Uninstalled after an hour.
Not only is the app crunched so I can't see everything very well, but it is also far slower than my browser on my phone. Even my 15 year old laptop runs torn on chrome better than the app. This may well be due to differences in my network, but I feel that the app is trying to combine an old codebase with new technology.
Also, PC can multitask to a far better degree than mobile. This is in no way torn's fault, because the memory of mobile is usually far less than that of a computer, but on my piss poor LGE Rebel I can have at max 2 tabs open before the app crashes. On my equally bad laptop, I can have 4 open before chrome makes cuts(but doesn't entirely crash).
The root of these issues probably comes from that they are trying to mash a web based program(PhP) with a mobile app, meaning that it runs slower, takes up more resources, and crashes more often. They should really just remake city watch for the notification feature, which is really the only useful feature about the app.
Also, PC can multitask to a far better degree than mobile. This is in no way torn's fault, because the memory of mobile is usually far less than that of a computer, but on my piss poor LGE Rebel I can have at max 2 tabs open before the app crashes. On my equally bad laptop, I can have 4 open before chrome makes cuts(but doesn't entirely crash).
The root of these issues probably comes from that they are trying to mash a web based program(PhP) with a mobile app, meaning that it runs slower, takes up more resources, and crashes more often. They should really just remake city watch for the notification feature, which is really the only useful feature about the app.
I use the App all the time (iOS) and have no issues.
I couldn't add my second account.
Would not recommend :/
Would not recommend :/
At least your getting updates, iOS is done with them :(
I can't speak for the OP, but I will echo in part coolguy. The app runs significantly slower on my phone than just using the website. I can open several tabs, however my phone is an s20 ultra, and for a 1300 dollar at launch phone, I would expect it to hold its own. That said, I would also expect a dedicated app to work better than the web browser version.
It's been so long since I worked in the technology sector that I don't want to postulate what could be the issue with any certainty, but poor optimization springs to mind.
The view is cramped, but so is the website version and likely due to the amount of information that needs to be displayed so I can't really fault the app in that regard, but a dedicated app design would be a "nice to have" down the line. Maybe a hub point you land on and dedicated pages for areas of the game, just spit balling here.
Historically, target tab management during chains has been an issue, and if what I see above is true with the limiting of 5 tabs, I can't see this being improved. I understand it probably is less stressful on servers and makes less api calls presumably, but it hampers the ability to make attacks in quick succession.
I won't say I hate the whole thing and it's being deleted and my subscription canceled, but it is somewhat of a PitA to use because of the above reasons.
It's been so long since I worked in the technology sector that I don't want to postulate what could be the issue with any certainty, but poor optimization springs to mind.
The view is cramped, but so is the website version and likely due to the amount of information that needs to be displayed so I can't really fault the app in that regard, but a dedicated app design would be a "nice to have" down the line. Maybe a hub point you land on and dedicated pages for areas of the game, just spit balling here.
Historically, target tab management during chains has been an issue, and if what I see above is true with the limiting of 5 tabs, I can't see this being improved. I understand it probably is less stressful on servers and makes less api calls presumably, but it hampers the ability to make attacks in quick succession.
I won't say I hate the whole thing and it's being deleted and my subscription canceled, but it is somewhat of a PitA to use because of the above reasons.
RESPO was intended to make Torn playable on all devices. Surely the money spent developing an app would be better spent ensuring it works properly on all devices?
While it's cool for Torn to have it's own app, it's just another browser, it's just pointless.
While it's cool for Torn to have it's own app, it's just another browser, it's just pointless.
I use the android app 99% of the time.
I have a Samsung A2Core.
Somtimes theres a glitch, which open up the settings for the app, and then I can't return to the previous page. Sometimes when I tap to type something, I can briefly see the menu of the app settings.
I would like it it the app had a shortcut to the TAC app/website, and could also be able to run basic scripts/tools that can help with travels and chains etc.
Not sure if that would be possible?
Sometimes the app lags a bit, and when you send a DM to someone via the app, and then go to the browser, then that convo shows green, as if you recieved a new message, bit instead just shows the previous message you just sent.
Sometimes the notifications of the app lags a bit. Like it only comes through after a while, like when you have landed.
Would be cool if there was a dark theme for the app, and also notifications if one has subscribed to a thread.
So far I am happy with the android app, keep it up guys!
Maybe if possible, it would be nice if there was a Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) desktop applet for Torn in the future.
I have a Samsung A2Core.
Somtimes theres a glitch, which open up the settings for the app, and then I can't return to the previous page. Sometimes when I tap to type something, I can briefly see the menu of the app settings.
I would like it it the app had a shortcut to the TAC app/website, and could also be able to run basic scripts/tools that can help with travels and chains etc.
Not sure if that would be possible?
Sometimes the app lags a bit, and when you send a DM to someone via the app, and then go to the browser, then that convo shows green, as if you recieved a new message, bit instead just shows the previous message you just sent.
Sometimes the notifications of the app lags a bit. Like it only comes through after a while, like when you have landed.
Would be cool if there was a dark theme for the app, and also notifications if one has subscribed to a thread.
So far I am happy with the android app, keep it up guys!
Maybe if possible, it would be nice if there was a Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) desktop applet for Torn in the future.
I agree with the above posts. The app is so slow. I use Torn PDA. It's quicker, easier and more convenient. I expect more from the app
Thank you, Sir.
I use the app and I do find it useful for my day-to-day play but I do wish it was more of a dedicated mobile app that takes advantage of the touchscreen nature of a smartphone rather than just a container for the mobile site.
Day to day, TornPDA is just head and shoulders above the official torn app. Use that instead.
I wish it came prepackaged with all the good tools and extensions and scripts with toggles to turn them on/off.
For me,
It's slower
no tab management despite looking like a browser.
delayed notifications (when I go to bed, I don't get a notification on energy or nerve till I wake up and unlock the phone. So I don't even know when it filled up)
very quiet and weak notification sounds ( I haven't checked if it's changeable)
There isn't really anything that stops me from making a shortcut to the torn homepage on my phone and ignoring the app (which is what I do)
It's slower
no tab management despite looking like a browser.
delayed notifications (when I go to bed, I don't get a notification on energy or nerve till I wake up and unlock the phone. So I don't even know when it filled up)
very quiet and weak notification sounds ( I haven't checked if it's changeable)
There isn't really anything that stops me from making a shortcut to the torn homepage on my phone and ignoring the app (which is what I do)
Has anyone else noticed restarting the app makes it run faster if it starts slowing down? Memory leak perhaps.