Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

VIDEO GUIDES

Started by Vegvisir [2005283] on in Tutorials & Guides.

20 replies · 555 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

shak [1592807]
Lol dont show ya stats saying they pretty good after 5 years. Removes any thought of the advice being worth watching. Aka shit stats sorry
Sectory [2093611]
cool vid, aimed at new players. although you should start reading up some advanced stuff, cus it seems like you're stuck at being beginner still :/
2480971 [2480971]
I’m going to be honest here and you’re probably not going to like it.

The video is terrible, and you’re probably not the right person to be giving advice. Looking at your personal stats, battle stats, awards and net worth I think it’d be a bad idea for anyone to use you as an example.

“I log in for 5 minutes and then screw off”

“At first you’ll see Torn as kind of boring”

You’re using an add-on yet failing to mention the fact which I’m sure would just confuse a new player. You don’t actually give any kind of decent advice or even a true overview of what Torn is.


You absolutely can become a millionaire overnight without hacking, what kind of comment is that lol?


You also show the exact date and time that your bank ends, so good luck with that.

I’m sorry but overall it’s pretty bad, I actually think you’d turn people away from Torn
Vegvisir [2005283]
Some excellent and accurate judgements. I appreciate it. Just a jumping off point. I'll learn as I go, I've been fairly inactive so naturally that's reflected in my stats. I expected some kickback though so here we go :)

Supreme coward :)
2480971 [2480971]
I think if you want to grab people’s attention you should try to be a bit more enthusiastic about Torn. At the end of the day it’s a text based RPG, so it is what it is.

In the future I’d suggest a more specific focus, show people where to go what to focus on. You briefly show the forums, but the reality is that in that first month or so the T&G section should be a player’s best friend - you know?

The WIKI is invaluable!! > you show you using it but don’t talk about it at all

Point them to the new noob packs, encourage them not to spend frivolously in those first few weeks - you mention Xanax, highlight the risks, the cost, the reason someone should want to use it, addiction/rehab - you know?

Community - talk about factions, friendships, help and advice from peers. Trading?


So many people waste time in those first few months wasting merits on silly choices > explain what’s best to focus on - eduction, banking

Education is largely time gated > Get started ASAP, best routes to go?


Lots of things to consider
Vegvisir [2005283]
Priceless advice - as far as getting into the fundementals, I wanted to first... kind of introduce people to the game, I tried to dumb this down as much as possible so a new player would get a basic understanding of what to expect from the game in a top down view, I tried not to get sidetracked with the details. there's all kinds of people who play torn, and it's hard to fulfill the role as the tour-guide without some sort of baseline to work from- it's been 4 months of pacing, I have to start somewhere, so I figured I'd give a brief overview of my experience with the game, not as an expert in all things Torn, but as an active member of the community who has some advice for people based on Baldr's work, and others. My intention is to boil down the classic, reliable resources available in the T&G section into a readily digestible format for the everyman - there's a lot of verbose posting in these threads, and I know people in this day and age don't read as much as they should. I guess my point here is that not everybody wants to parse charts and handle the specifics of flipping sweet shops, swing trade based on complicated projections, or following a strict training schedule, chain etc..... some people aren't as active as others, and it's a complicated thing to appeal to both beginner players and the seasoned vets alike- especially when I am not familiar with certain fundamentals that others would consider critical to player's development. I want this series to be useful to whoever watches it, whether they're an expert or a novice- I want it to be understandable, and well versed. It's hard to decompress this game, as there are so many different things to know. From the perspective of getting into...yknow...actually getting back into producing tutorials that do a decent job of walking players through specifics in the game, beyond happy jumps and PI rentals, down to how NPC fights work, and best-case strategy to maximize drop chances, all the way to weapon mods and ammo, which is preferred and why, based on hard sheets which I intend to briefly show so those who care can pause it to review.

My initial intention was to come back to this community with a solid hour-long segment, but I have decided to revisit my old formatting with due consideration to the weight of the content itself- as you point out, the important break-downs are the important part of this process, it's the meat and potatoes. I have not provided much in the way of substance with this first video, but I trust by the tenth, community opinion will sway, assuming I don't totally sh!t the bed on this. I have every intention of ensuring that my posts are concise, to the point, informative, and digestible for both beginners, and advanced players alike. I know there are people who can play this game better then I can, but I know several people in the game who are total nerds and know some pretty advanced stuff- who I regularly seek mentorship from. This series used to have 180+ videos, with topics such as "What it looks like to have 2billion in the bank" and "Education" which covered the various courses worth persuing.

but alas. the reason I removed that content was because it was uninformed drivel. So, I am returning to this with the goal of re-creating my old videos in a way that is more professional, more valuable, and more useful to the community. I know it's pretty uninspired and lackluster, as my personal experience with the game has been perhaps more at arms length then other more active and involved players.. so I don't want that personal take on the game to distract from covering how somebody might fast track their happy jumps ( as I screwed around the first year on torn, doing XTC instead of xanax, because I didn't follow guides. My progress is stunted from a lack of knowledge, and I'd like to fix that problem for people, by taking a more well-read approach to this enterprise. in the past, I have not met the standard that I would expect from somebody in my position. So, I am looking to rectify that with proper research, to ensure my content's utility within the community.

I figure I owe some explanation for the absolute state of this. hopefully I can rekindle it, time and effort into this vein will tell, but this is the "official" drop, from here I will try to keep uploads to a weekly schedule. I have other stuff going on outside of torn tutorials now, but until my library is starting to accumulate, I will keep this forefront in my efforts, among my many hobbies. I've taken some time to really consider how I want this to look, and I want to ensure it's well-recieved. I hope this kind of clears up my position in this matter :)
DuckOfDestiny [2663371]
Hello, I am a new player. Please make a day in the life rap series about torn. If you dont remember what the first few days are like I will tell you so you can build your rap around it. I was lost and I thought I was in a dangerous place. But everyone was being nice to me and it made me nervous. I didnt know what to do but I did some stuff. I started education but I picked the wrong stuff. I got a job on my second try silly questions tripping me up. I went to the gym and trained all strength. Then I found someone to attack. And I ended up in the hospital. The end of day one.

Put all that into one of you raps and have some torn video in the background. People will like it and you will like making it. You have a good voice!
ImmortalSouljah [1603634]
Hey, great effort on the video man! Voice clarity was top notch, seems like you had a script that you were going off and not randomly rambling, MJH pointed out some great things for you to consider for the next one or for an updated version of this one. I look forward to it =)

Don't get discouraged by people hating for the sake of hating, you play torn any which way you enjoy, keep up the good work, I think your video series(I hope) will be great for future new players.
Vegvisir [2005283]
thanks man! I am by no means discouraged- their assessment is accurate lol. this first video was just a quick opinion from my perspective, some of what keeps me playing even after 4 years, still very active and interested in this.

As it stands, I have 27 minutes of audio currently already recorded, this is 100% not a ramble... my old videos were a mess. These will still be a mess, but there will be 2000000x less "uhms" and "likes" and "so uh......" and shit. I had too much of that and it was embarrassing. these things are up in the cloud forever, so I want to do them justice and pack as much useful information into them as possible. The goal is to keep the number of videos down, and just make them longer. This first tutorial is called "the basics" and it covers getting a job, what edu to start with, how to get to level 15 asap, some basics on drug use ( LSD is a good substitute for xanax if you cant afford it, stuff like that)....

it's packed, it's 27 minutes, so it's a bit boring, but I am currently in the lab with it, getting video footage compiled, so rather then just hitting record and rambling, these videos will be intensely structured.. because this one's just an overview of how to get to level 15, I won't be including timestamps, or if I do, it'll be a bit messy.... but in future videos, once you can travel and stuff at 15... I intend to organize everything by timestamps, so you can simply just navigate to the "travelling" section, or the "happy jump" section. should make it a very valuable resource, as essentually, I am reading the T&G section and writing my own scripts based on what the common "best practices" seem to be.

I did it wrong the first time 'round, hoping to really hit it out of the park this time around. I don't wanna fluff this up too much, but it's something I am very keen on seeing through. I'm about 5 minutes into it with the video editing. should have the second video published in a couple days here- I'm actively working on it, so check back in a week or so and there should be a second link here in the post :)

Thank you for your support, I know this first video wasn't overly useful, again, just kinda needed SOMEWHERE to start, torn's a mess and it's hard to get into all this stuff, so I'm sure it'll get more and more organized as I go, I just wanna get to it, get on it, and do a good job so thanks for staying tuned :)
Vegvisir [2005283]
I've made a video guide for this, I realize I am a bit late to the party, I'm seeing a few posts in the forums on it but hey. Just getting back into the swing of things, I've sorted my affiliate plans, even though projections are trivial at best, it's really just a placeholder.

anyways. Another video out today, I'll be coming with a few more as soon as I can get it sorted :)

thanks for staying tuned, I'll be picking up the pace soon, not to over-announce, which I have a nasty habit of. I've heard it's good advice to Undersell things, and over-deliver. that way people aren't disappointed, and you don't find yourself disgraced.

>>>> So, here we are :)

Stock Market 3.0 Update
Vegvisir [2005283]
Thanks!

4th video out today,
Travel Guide

If you have any questions, you can reach out in the comments, or post here, or you can send me a message directly :)

>>>>Happy to Help :)

Starting to get back into the swing of things, I've been writing scripts, got a few on the backburner, I'll be picking up speed with these, as I've got a good rhythm figured out. Time to start cranking them out!
Nicotine [2440291]
I tried to focus on the content but I failed because I just couldn't take my eyes off your full Energy & Nerve bar sitting there for 5+ minutes. Sorry man, that just made my inner nerd scream inside. I'm sure there is some pretty solid advice in there though, so don't know... maybe hide your full bars next time so I can in fact pay attention without all the cringe. 😅