Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Egg scripting is decreasing spawn rate?

Started by 0xHemlock [2662912] on in Questions & Answers.

30 replies · 1.72k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 31 / 31 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
31
Discussion span
→
Authority score
67 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

0xHemlock [2662912]
So a question that is being hotly discussed in many threads is whether or not Torn is detecting scripts and lowering Easter Egg spawn rates for script users, with the rationale being to keep things fair for the non-scripters. Could an admin, dev, or someone else with back-end insight answer this straight-on? I'd like to know if running these offered scripts is worth it, or if I should disable them and look for these the old-fashioned way. Hopefully a clear answer on a thread can help clear up a lot of the confusion and concern I'm currently seeing.

Thanks!
0xHemlock [2662912]
It's a hot topic! Haha that's funny. Yours pulls in good info from years back, though. I wish I heard about this before I downloaded and starting running the scripts. But, still, I want to make sure and see if we can get a clear answer.
cooksie [2152172]
Spawn rate naturally decreases depending on the amount of eggs you've found already.

Users using scripts, extensions or visual aids that point out eggs, alert you that there's one on the page, or automatically pick them up, receive hidden chance penalties that reduce the spawn frequency. This includes the one on DoctorN. If you noticed a reduction, you may want to remove any tools that assist and wait a few days for the penalties to disappear.
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=2&t=16004340&b=0&a=0&start=20&to=17711581

We will be very tough on scripts which aid you in any way. We have a dozen different ways of detecting them, and we'll secretly add penalties that prevent future eggs from spawning for a while. We will never discuss or describe these detection methods, but we will be very carefully monitoring logs to make sure they're only taking care of abusers and not legitimate egg finders! We'll be constantly checking and adapting our detection systems in the background to ensure that it really isn't worth using any external tools at all.
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=2&t=16004340&b=0&a=0&start=120&to=17712130

Mentions: A warning to Chedburn....

elie350 [2065964]
I honestly think those are lies (even if Ched said them). Or at least, I feel so.

I don't know if it's feasible for them to detect such scripts (Especially those that simply detect eggs) but I'm speaking out of experience when I say that it's just randomness.

I use doctorn and already found 5 eggs. Might seem like very little but according to torn, I found more eggs than 90% of torn population.
And you have others (script user or not) that found only 2 eggs so far. Again, it's just randomness.
The more active you are, the more eggs you will find.


And, imo, even if scripts actually decrease spawn rate of eggs (which i doubt), it just seems like you'd still find more eggs using doctorn than not using it because otherwise, there is a huge likelihood that you will miss eggs.

Every year we have threads like this. Even sometime people making bug report that they aren't finding eggs or asking if doctorn is working properly. To all of you doing those thread:

That you use a script or that you don't use, SPAWN RATE OF EGGS IS VERY LOW

Onlleh [2254829]
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=67&t=16219781&b=0&a=0&start=220&to=21386365

Pasted post below for convenience.

Some while ago I found that there is code to detect doctorn - was wondering why that was there, guess now I know.
Also when you click an egg it sends a hash of the current HTML of the page to the server, I really hope this doesnt affect your chances since other legit extensions will change the html of the page

FOR REFERENCE

[/size]
var d = CompetitionCore.wrapper.find('.doctorn-alerts').length;

(At the end of the hash it sends a number with the amount of doctorn alerts found)

var html = parentt[0].outerHTML.replace(/&/g, '');
var clearstring = html.replace(/[^w]+/gim, '');
var hashString = md5hash(clearstring);

(makes an md5 hash)

Would be nice to get confirmation extensions like torntools and aquatools do not affect your chances since they can change the HTML of the page.
Onlleh [2254829]
TL'DR it is definitely attempted to track scripts - however idk how that affects the spawn rate, but given ched's old post it probably significantly decreases them. However ik people who used DoctorN and found 5 eggs so I honestly don't know for certain.
gnar [2268922]
the only pinned post by an admin regarding script rules is this one which clearly says "Assuming this rule is followed, go wild!" without any mention of penalties for people using scripts during certain events/competitions.

Not everyone has been in torn for over 16 years and remembers everything that has been said by admins in every other thread during that time.... so if it's been confirmed people using scripts during easter event get penalized on the egg spawn rate, it should have been added to that official thread about script rules linked above.

Mentions: Rules for Scripts, Addons, Extensions & Tools

cooksie [2152172]
I mean I agree, the rules around scripting can be clearer and need some clarification but the fact is that the easter egg info has been documented for a while now, it's not Ched's fault that nobody believed it in the past.

And, there's a distinction to be made of something being against the rules, an illegal bannable offence, versus something that can be penalised because it's not in the spirit of the competition.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
From what I've seen, that code is no longer used.

I'm sure they still detect it somehow, but no longer in that way I guess.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
The problem imo is not the fact that it exists, but the uncertainty on how the detection works.

I'll explain by using a few possible situations:

1. Uses extensions, but no Torn-related (could include extensions accessing every page, like a password manager).
2. Uses Torn-related extensions, but nothing with egg detection.
3. Uses a scriptmanager, with no script or no Torn-related ones (could include scripts running on every page).
4. Uses a scriptmanager, with Torn-related scripts but no egg detection ones.

5. Uses an egg-detection script.
6. Uses an extension that does provide the feature, but it's disabled.
7. Uses an extension that does provide the feature.

5 and 7 do trigger the the prevention, which I have no problem with
6 is an edge case

1-4 might trigger it, but they shouldn't.

My biggest question would be to know if 2 and 6 trigger it or not.
Unknowen [2368453]
im using doctorn and ive found 7 eggs. just turned it off to see if i can find more seeming as i usually spot them straight away anyway, but i guess even with a penalty for using scripts, some people will miss so many that they will find more by using a script even with a lower spawn rate, so it depends on how good you are at spotting eggs