3 replies · 121 views · thread synced · 6 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
6
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
Most-liked replies
Lightor[2215463]Officer
· 2 likes · Lots of people are gonna tell you this order: Tarmac Honda NSX, Dirt Honda NSX, Lexus LFA (that's Tarmac LR T3) and Cosworth. This will set you up for every track basically, more or less well but it gives you …
A question for some of the veteran racers with extensive car stables. Did you initially focus on acquiring different cars or different builds of an overall performer such as the Honda NSX?
I've been loosely following the racing guides and am a couple cars shy of RD's track recommendations. I also use the best lap times as indicators as well (excluding Bugatti, obviously).
I know that RS and luck play a role regardless of the car or build and it's probably a bit early for me to start worrying about tweaking gear ratios and Turbo. Just curious as to what others have done in the past.
Tarmac Honda NSX, Dirt Honda NSX, Lexus LFA (that's Tarmac LR T3) and Cosworth.
This will set you up for every track basically, more or less well but it gives you a chance to compete on every track. The Honda is undoubtfully the best on most tracks that's why you get one for Tarmac and one for Dirt, the Lexus is a Beast on the straights like on Withdrawal, Speedway, etc. and can also be competitive on Convict, no matter the records. And lastly the Cosworth, most racers try to get one from Class B already so it is very optimal since anything else than the Cosworth on Mudpit will lose.
Also to come back to your last sentence, it is definitely not too early to focus on Turbo Kits and Gear Ratios, those are very important! They seem like an option at first, when you start out and you might think to yourself "This will only be the difference on the highest level" (which was my thinking when I started out), but in the end these are the upgrades that will ultimately give you the edge in consistency against players at your level.
Appreciate the feedback :) Have all of the above in my collection as well - though for reasons I can't remember now I started with the Lexus.
You're right that everything does contribute the to the formula regardless of RNG. With transmissions, I've been using the likely oversimplified long ratio for speed/short ratio for acceleration upgrade descriptions to guide my builds. However, so far I've just been setting everything up with Turbo 3 - perhaps that's something I need to examine a bit more closely.
"Did you initially focus on acquiring different cars or different builds of an overall performer such as the Honda NSX?"
Both. The main focus was on getting a car tuned for each track (obviously there is some overlap where the same car & setup works on multiple tracks). Once that was done, I started testing out different cars and setups to see what worked better for short races, long races, lap records, etc.