About this thread
Posts archived: 11 / 11 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 11
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 6
- Likes on archived posts
- 21
- Posts by staff, officers and moderators
- 1
- Authority score
- 39 / 100
- Historical score
- 13 / 100
- Story score
- 34 / 100
- Engagement score
- 57 / 100
Most-liked replies
- Nyx [2236278] Officer
· 4 likes ·
While this is a very good attempt, Smoosh has a good outlook, which is a realistic perspective to have when it comes to the graphic community. Value depends on the eyes of the viewer, people who love anime or resonate … - Tanarra [2649236]
· 3 likes ·
Valuation of art is very subjective. One person may pay you 20 million, another may pay nothing. This particular image looks nice, but I'm not familiar with the character, and I'm not really into anime. The 'tear' effect on the …
Valuation of art is very subjective. One person may pay you 20 million, another may pay nothing. This particular image looks nice, but I'm not familiar with the character, and I'm not really into anime. The 'tear' effect on the texture is interesting, but I personally don't like it on her nose.
Rather than ask for opinions on 'price', maybe ask for some feedback on the composition from other creators who enjoy that style? Just a thought. Keep on creating!
Rather than ask for opinions on 'price', maybe ask for some feedback on the composition from other creators who enjoy that style? Just a thought. Keep on creating!
I was just looking for a quanitative measure of the level of the work and I assumed value would probably be the easiest way to judge it.
This is pretty much what I was going to say!
It's not a bad piece! And I'm sure there are people out there who would pay good money for it. I personally don't like the rip on her nose, but otherwise it looks okay!
I am absolutely not an expert but I think it would look better if the anime character was positioned slightly to one side or the other? (rule of thirds I believe it's called?) I also don't like the text to be honest.. The positioning, font, and clarity don't look quite right. Perhaps a different font/style/position may look better.
Keep progressing! I'm returning to GFX so I shall be asking for feedback soon!
It's not a bad piece! And I'm sure there are people out there who would pay good money for it. I personally don't like the rip on her nose, but otherwise it looks okay!
I am absolutely not an expert but I think it would look better if the anime character was positioned slightly to one side or the other? (rule of thirds I believe it's called?) I also don't like the text to be honest.. The positioning, font, and clarity don't look quite right. Perhaps a different font/style/position may look better.
Keep progressing! I'm returning to GFX so I shall be asking for feedback soon!
I think it would look better pushed to one side as well, the text didn't seem like it fit anywhere due to position of the girl. it wasn't actually a serious piece of art. its honestly more of a mockery of what people do on here, i made this in 5 mins on my mobile just placing different filters over the top of a stock photo, i was just curious if people would be able to tell the difference. i enjoyed it somewhat though, perhaps ill download photoshop.
If you genuinely spent 5 minutes making this then you could probably make something pretty good if you gave some serious thought to where and how your layers were composed!!
It looks okay though. Get yourself on photoshop, have a play around, working out your lighting/composition and I think you could make some decent artwork :)
GL.
It looks okay though. Get yourself on photoshop, have a play around, working out your lighting/composition and I think you could make some decent artwork :)
GL.
I'd recommend you to look up "the golden ratio". It pretty much sums up what the others told you in a simple "theory" in art.
PS: I also dont like that triangular pimple on the nose.
PS: I also dont like that triangular pimple on the nose.
While this is a very good attempt, Smoosh has a good outlook, which is a realistic perspective to have when it comes to the graphic community. Value depends on the eyes of the viewer, people who love anime or resonate with the character will value this piece more than someone who doesn't.
But anime aside, I will try and suggest some pointers objectively speaking.
If you're going to go with a bold move and put a character in the middle of the canvas, it really needs to be emphasised.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
First of all, I shrunk the image down. Shrinking it down helps you visualise what areas you need to push more. I then changed it to black and white because working with colour immediately can be overwhelming, usually I'd recommend working with a colour palette so you can picker tool on top of the black and white version instead of going straight in with colour if you are fairly new to graphics.
When you do more graphics you'll get a knack for colour theory and have more of an idea what colours are complimentary etc
Right now my main pointers are: The character is blending in with the background and your name is totally obscured. Let's fix this.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
Already we are able to see the character more clearly and we are establishing the focal point of the image.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
Now we add light area, make sure you establish a lighting source, here it is coming from the right and directing the eyes straight the character in the centre. I've removed the thing on her face because you don't want the focal point of an image to be intruded. As a famous painter once said 'Be careful with your light sources, we don't want to kill all our darks otherwise there would be nothing to stand out."
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
Overlay ripped paper textures, it works if you're looking for a grungy aesthetic.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
A slight trick I use is on the layer below the ripped paper, use a brush and paint under the ripped paper. This gives a 'shadow' affect on your graphic which makes it look like it has depth.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
The last bit is refining, softening some areas out. Here it is much more interesting to look at visually. Area's stand out and has a balance of both black and white. There is depth. I've also added some highlights on the character's face, eyes and hair to really accentuate the focus.
But anime aside, I will try and suggest some pointers objectively speaking.
If you're going to go with a bold move and put a character in the middle of the canvas, it really needs to be emphasised.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
First of all, I shrunk the image down. Shrinking it down helps you visualise what areas you need to push more. I then changed it to black and white because working with colour immediately can be overwhelming, usually I'd recommend working with a colour palette so you can picker tool on top of the black and white version instead of going straight in with colour if you are fairly new to graphics.
When you do more graphics you'll get a knack for colour theory and have more of an idea what colours are complimentary etc
Right now my main pointers are: The character is blending in with the background and your name is totally obscured. Let's fix this.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
Already we are able to see the character more clearly and we are establishing the focal point of the image.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
Now we add light area, make sure you establish a lighting source, here it is coming from the right and directing the eyes straight the character in the centre. I've removed the thing on her face because you don't want the focal point of an image to be intruded. As a famous painter once said 'Be careful with your light sources, we don't want to kill all our darks otherwise there would be nothing to stand out."
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
Overlay ripped paper textures, it works if you're looking for a grungy aesthetic.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
A slight trick I use is on the layer below the ripped paper, use a brush and paint under the ripped paper. This gives a 'shadow' affect on your graphic which makes it look like it has depth.
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
The last bit is refining, softening some areas out. Here it is much more interesting to look at visually. Area's stand out and has a balance of both black and white. There is depth. I've also added some highlights on the character's face, eyes and hair to really accentuate the focus.
Just a disclaimer again that this isn't me trying to make you do something a certain way. This is how I would personally alter it, but the good thing about the graphic forum is that everyone tackles this creative process differently. What I might do, another might not. I am just trying to refresh some tips you might have forgotten or might have not considered. So hopefully this helps :)
Thanks for all the pointers ill definitely put it all in to consideration when using some editing software. The aim of this though really is could I create something decent enough to sell using only filters from programs such as Instagram, because that's literally all this was, mixing and matching different effects to see if something passable was able to be made. If I do get into graphic design I will need all the theory I can get so thankyou
Eloquent.
This is such a good summary and beautiful written/illustrated. I hope the OP doesnt take offence to your help, because this is useful for all of us!! :P thanks
This is such a good summary and beautiful written/illustrated. I hope the OP doesnt take offence to your help, because this is useful for all of us!! :P thanks